Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Forum Movie habits , collector of movies or just watch them on TV

I am a little curious about something. Sometimes I read comments how people are really excited when TCM plays movies like War of the Worlds, Casablanca, Maltese Falcon, basically things that are on DVD(or VHS)...& you can get them at any video store or online, so why all the excitement when they're on TCM ? :)

I can certainly understand getting excited for movies that aren't on any format, well maybe VHS if anything, like Boston ****, Whistler, but for great films that are on DVD and worthy of being in a collection, hmmm...

So anyway, I was wondering if TCM fans and forum members were DVD movie collectors or simply watch the movies when they air ..I guess Ill get some diverse answers .. I am a collector of movie I like of which there are too many.. I still watch them on TCM if they're on & I am in the mood to watch I tend to watch movies I haven't seen before (it beats renting them !) like Mildred Pierce for example...

Anyway I was just curious, and certainly not looking to upset members or anything :)

Well, I think you'll find a lot of each. There are many collectors like myself who not only record movies from TCM and other channels, but also buy commercially released DVDs. I've got a large collection and it's about equally split between the two, although now I'm recording more than I buy.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks who only watch and don't record. It's like people always buy books and those who never buy a book, but will always be using the public library. Nothing wrong with either.

Oh well, to each his own.

I'm a big believer in purchasing DVDs of my favorites because it encourages continued release. I buy all Universal horror films when they are released; the Charlie Chan sets; the W.C. Fields sets; the Abbott & Costello sets; et al. I encourage movie lovers to purchase DVDs whenever possible!

I also purchase DVD's, mostly Classics. I love Box Sets. I do buy them for the films, not the extras.

I still have and watch VHS and I tape from TCM mostly hard to find or not available films. Some of the prices are really over the top, Amazon whats $129.00 for a new VHS of "The Sea Wolf" ( there is no way I would pay that) I taped it for free..

vallo

I totally agree, I wouldnt buy an OOP VHS at this point for 129.99 especially when the movie is subject to DVD release...

Some OOP VHS tapes do pop up from time to time on ebay, again trying to take a wild guess if it does come on DVD or not..

I remember I bought the Glass Key on VHS, and at the video store a few weeks later there was a PAL Region 2 DVD of it, so I quickly got it and gave the tape to my mom :)

Other VHS tapes that I bought this year I have like In this Our Life, Mr Peabody & the Mermaid, I am hoping will see DVD release, I feel as if they were coming soon

There are a lot of movies that I think sooner or later are going to see the light of day on DVD , so spending money for a VHS - I do it with caution..

I love DVD's, being able to watch movies when I want, as often as I want...

I do enjoy TCM when they show something not on VHS or DVD, or things I am curious to see.

Now I just signed up for Netflix which will also assist me in my classic movie watching...I always find it easier to watch something when I want as opposed to watching something at a time where Id either have to get up too early,stay up late or something that would make it a tough situation to watch at 'this day' at 'this point in time'

I am retired on a fixed income so there is very little money left for me to spend. (My wife goes shopping and often receives packages from QVC.)

I started building a home-recorded DVD library (mostly from TCM) after buying my first DVD combo recorder in September 2005. In recent months I have dubbed to DVD selected recordings from my home-recorded videotape library that I started in December 1986. I have now recycled perhaps 1,725 home-recorded videotapes.

My main interests run from early talkies through the film noir era.

Home recording to DVD is practical and economical. In a recent visit to Costco I purchased 200 TDK DVD-R blanks for $31.99.

I still buy a few commercially produced DVDs and VHS tapes. Titles that I purchase may not always be within my main areas of interest. I probably have around 125 commercially purchased DVDs and around 60 commercially purchased VHS tapes.

So far this year I have purchased these DVD titles/compilations: Chinatown; The Stepford Wives; Earth Girls Are Easy; Phillip Marlowe Private Eye (Boothe); Mike Hammer Private Eye (Keach); and Gary Cooper Classics (with three movies and the Stolen Jools short). (Chinatown was purchased because my original was missing; Stepford and Earth Girls were purchased to get the widescreen versions; Cooper was purchased to get Stolen Jools.)

So far this year I have purchased these VHS titles: Ruggles of Red Gap; and Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey. (Ruggles was purchased because my recordings from AMC early 1990s showings of this classic were on Sony T-160 tapes that had tracking problems so severe that none of my Panasonics or Toshibas could play them well enough to dub. I purchased the original version of Theremin to get the english subtitles for some of the English/Russian portions).

I must be the only person here who has never owned a single VHS. Usually I watch a movie on TV first and if it grabs my attention, I hunt for a DVD. Buying movies online has saved me an absolute fortune, as it usually costs a fraction of the price I'd pay in the shops.

Collecting DVDs can be compulsive though, and my biggest problem is catching up with my ever expanding wishlist.

I am fully aware that by the time I complete my movie library, DVD as a format will be totally outdated. I can just hear my offspring in 30 years time: : "Gee, can you believe the size of these things....!?!".

I am building up my collection of dvds which I watch quite often, but sometimes it's fun to watch the same movie on TCM because it's like it's "live" and being enjoyed by other fans.

P.S. Regarding VHS, I still use it to record because I don't yet have a dvd recorder, but I also will purchase a vhs copy of a rare OOP movie. I feel it's better to have it on tape than not at all, if it's a rare gem.

Message was edited by: MissGoddess

I too purchase DVDs at the store or online. I recently found someone who had original taped recordings of the very short lived (13 episodes) CBS TV series "Bearcats!" from 1971 available. He copied these 13 on separate discs and for a small fee shipped them to me.

I used to have well over 600 VHS tapes (about half were taped, the other half retail purchased) until I finally decided it was time to replace these with DVDs. I started in 2003. I have now well over 300 DVDs and still have to purchase about 200 more. And even more after that, probably.

As far as recording DVDs, I currently do not have a DVD-R recorder, nor am I about to go out and purchase one. The main reason is this:

When I am watching a movie on TCM or any other commercial-free station, I usually find that there are sometime technical interruptions while I am taping. The kind that looks like the movie image is starting to disintegrate, or pixalate. If that happens, the picture usually goes black and I have lost some of the movie. I know that that is usually not the fault of the cable progammer or channel, but I don't like that, nor do I want my DVD to have those interruptions on the disc.

I am picky. So I would rather purchase the DVD and have the complete DVD package sitting up on my shelf. The booklets and other info that usually accompany these DVDs are really worth the extra investment, as far as I am concerned. When taping, you will not be able to have all of this extra info to get into.

The Searchers DVD is a prime example. Beautiful DVD case with some really good extras thrown in. Same for Dances With Wolves. Nice package.

Living in Chicago up until December of last year, I had plenty of retail places to shop. Having moved to the Hampton Roads area of southeastern Virginia last December, I have some of the same places to shop, but overall, I would have to say that half of my purchases have been online.

I really like to shop at Barnes and Noble. With their "Buy two, get one free" sales, that has come in handy over the years. It also helps to be a member there and get their 10% off bonus. I am also a memebr of Columbia House. But I look everywhere for really good DVD deals.

Patful,

When you wrote "I like to watch" it reminded me of Peter Sellers speaking to Shirley McClain in the bedroom scene of Being There, one of my favorite DVDs purchased commercially. Another notable Being There line comes when Sellers is asked by media types what he reads (i.e., "how do you come by your wisdom?"). Sellers answers "I watch TV."

I had a VHS collection which I am phasing out as they get replaced by DVDs. I personally am not into homemade recordings even though it is cheaper, I prefer my movies and DVDs 'real'

I bought 2 new VHS tapes this year - Lady Beware and Mr Peabody and the Mermaid, I hope they come on DVD soon

I know in 2008 I will be replacing The Kindred VHS as Synapse is putting out a DVD of that

I like the surprise of seeing a film that I?ve never seen or a restored version of a favorite. Especially B movies from the 30s and 40s. Just when you think you have seen them all, TCM surprises you. TCM, your best cable channel value! I never bought many VHS tapes. I?m buying many more DVDs. And hey, when is TCM going to release a box set of all the Andy Hardy films??? One of the best series ever!

I?m almost entirely a guy who just takes TCM as it offers, day by day, even hour by hour. Occasionally one of TCM?s ?tween movies ads mentions something upcoming that makes me say ?oh yes? but usually I forget about it and then have to rely on dumb luck as to whether or not I wind up watching it. I did manage to be onboard for a few SOTM, such as with Ida, Rita, and Randolph, so that I knew which nights to look forward to, just as I similarly knew to avoid the recent slate of animal star features. I have learned that Fridays and weekends offer less than the rest of the week, at least for me, which is not so bad since I like my golf and other sports.

But generally I?m oblivious. I never salivate over, or even scan, the latest advance release of a monthly schedule. Nor do I search TCM online for upcoming Sheridan or Holden material. And I never program the VCR to tape should I be unavailable. Mostly I?m adrift in the TCM universe, totally subject to the moment.

Great question! I'm a collector, but I'm a poor collector, so most of my collection is TCM stuff that I record and keep. But I still get excited when stuff is on TV, because....I think it's the "common experience" thing. Even if I'm watching it delayed, which is usual, the fact that it was on today sometime, or yesterday, is still cool. But even cooler is when I can watch awesome stuff like last Friday and Saturday evenings, *live* on TCM! That was soooo awesome! I even get up early on Saturdays to watch the Boston **** flicks (and the other series before that, "The Crime Doctor", etc) live.

When I am watching a movie on TCM or any other commercial-free station, I usually find that there are sometime technical interruptions while I am taping. The kind that looks like the movie image is starting to disintegrate, or pixalate. If that happens, the picture usually goes black and I have lost some of the movie. I know that that is usually not the fault of the cable progammer or channel, but I don't like that, nor do I want my DVD to have those interruptions on the disc.

I am picky. So I would rather purchase the DVD and have the complete DVD package sitting up on my shelf. The booklets and other info that usually accompany these DVDs are really worth the extra investment, as far as I am concerned. When taping, you will not be able to have all of this extra info to get into.

If pixilation "usually" happens when watching TV, you should call your provider and complain. No way should that usually happen.

Your second point is all very well and good, but TCM shows quite a few movies that will never be released on commercial DVD. I buy DVDs, but I also have a fairly large collection of films that just aren't popular enough to support a commercial DVD. TCM shows quite a few rare pre-codes and obscure films -- it's thanks to them that I am able to see and record them at all.

If all you care about is the more commercial films, then the studio DVD route may work, but for fans of rarer and more obscure titles, the DVD recorder is a godsend.

Jon,

Your point is very well taken.

You are correct. The DVD-R is a godsend. It does help many fans to see and keep their favorite obsured films in their libraries for future viewings.

I DO tape movies using the tried and true VHS. I just do not want to go out and yet again spend additional money on a dvd-r machine.

Possibly in the future that might just happen. But for right now, I am happy to buy newer dvds of older vhs that I have in my current library. And if a particular movie is not available, then I will wait for that films eventual release. It may take years but I will wait. If the film is never released, oh well.

Right now I am in the process of sinking money into my home via a kitchen remodeling.

So I have to watch what I spend money on.

But with the wide variety of sources now available for dvd purchasing, I find that it can be a full-time job just searching for the right deal.

As far as the pixilation is concerned, that has happened several times with different tv sets and different cable providers in different states. I have also seen the same problem at my friends homes and in hotels. Can't just be me this is happening to. But I will try and contact my local cable provider and ask them about this, as well as contacting TCM.

* I watch...

* I collect...

* I love...TCM!

And even when a film comes on that I have (on VHS) I still like watching it on TCM.

Monday afternoon at 2:00PM, check out the romantic "Enchantment" the enchanting Teresa Wright. Great film...bring hankies.

I wonder if Boston **** will hit the DVD Market....I wonder if the TCM movies that are obscure will be released from Warner..I suspect at some point they will, the question is when

A Boston **** DVD set would be much more likely if WHV owned it, I guess. But with Columbia titles, it's anyone's guess.

CineMaven, I just finished watching ENCHANTMENT for the first time. I indeed needed Kleenex at the close.

A bittersweet, beautiful film, with Matthew Arnold's "Dover Beach" at it's philosophical core -- the time spanning Wright and Keyes both read it. (there are many meanings to that classic poem, but I always interpret it to mean that love is the only thing worth clinging to in an absurd universe)

I cannot say enough about Teresa Wright's exquisite performance.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48