Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
classicsstarlets

DECEMBER LISTINGS ARE UP!!

Hibi,

While there are a number of chestnuts on the schedule there are plenty of Pre-Code films, silent films and Wellman films that haven't been on the schedule in ages.

Add to that, the John Ford Fox films that rarely get shown on TCM and some holiday films that we haven't seen in quite awhile, so hopefully, there is something to make everyone's Holiday month a tad cheerier.

I think the whole month is great, but the one I am most excited about is Up the River. It's Humphrey Bogart's first feature film. And his only film with his buddy, Spencer Tracy. (I think it might have been Tracy's first feature film, too.)

I believe this will be a TCM Premiere.

>Well, it's official, TCM Programmer does pay attention to requests (beggings). Stranger on the Third Floor will be airing on December 1st, so I'm very pleased.

Hey, that's great!

This is supposed to be America's first "film noir" movie.

Why? Becuase of the unusual camera angles and the stark lighting. Also, some narration by the hero, who gets accused of a murder. Plus there is a great dream sequence which is about the best ever put on film.

Gangster movies of the '30s were good, but they weren't "noirs", because they lacked certain noir styles, such as in the lighting and photography.

"Stranger on the Third Floor" brought German impressionsim cinema to gangster/crime movies, plus it added the narration and the hero in trouble, and weird situations he got caught up in. Later the French began calling this type of movie style "film noir".

This film didn't set out to be the first official "noir," but it seems to have worked out that way.

Thank you a million times over for posting the December schedule!

Ahhh...all those Pre-Codes...the best X-mas gift I could get!

Your excellent comments about *Stranger on the Third Floor* makes me wanna see the film this minute, Freddie C. That was great. My fascination with the film does stem from it being hailed by some as the "first film noir."

I'm also glad to see all the positive remarks about the December schedule. Quite refreshing. It looks like TCM Programmer hit a walk-off.

I am TOTALLY rockin' and rollin' and groovin' to the December Schedule!!!! Thank you, TCM Programmer, tons of pre-codes, and 30's films!

I like the mix. I have nothing against films from later years, I just like the mix. December has that more than recently, over the span of decades. Man, I loaded it up this morning and I was like jumping up and down, literally! Most of the early 30's films I've seen before, but hey, it's all good, and there are some I've NOT seen before! Yowza and Wowza!!!!

Couldn't Le Jour se l?ve be considered an earlier noir?

I see they finally scheduled All This and Heaven Too again; I don't think it's aired since the last time Bette Davis was SOTM in May 2006. Rare for a prominent film from the Turner library.

YES! I'm also thrilled that THE IRON HORSE ( my favorite silent) is on the schedule. I hope the 133 minute running time is correct. The version I recorded from The Fox Movie Channel last year only ran 119 or so. Of course, that was from the old Paul Killian Film Collection which was basically just mastered from a 16mm print and not a very good one at that. Between all the terrifc stuff in November and now December, my poor DVD recorders are going to melt.

Now who was it that said TCM isn't showing great older films anymore?

Couldn't Le Jour se l?ve be considered an earlier noir?

I've never seen the film, so I cannot be sure. It sounds very interesting.

Film noir is generally associated with American-made films since the Cahiers du Cinema critic Nino Frank coined the term after first noticing the distinct change in tone of Hollywood's films after World War II. The themes and visuals had turned dark (black).

*Stranger on the Third Floor* predates the "film noir period" but it does show all the hallmarks of noir, so many people consider it to be the first noir. Fritz Lang's *M* also gets mentioned as the first noir. *Le Jour se l?ve* looks to be another film that helped spawn what became film noir.

So are there any lucha libre films on the December sked?

I remember people on here talking last year about Stranger on the Third Floor and I made a mental note to remember to look for it. I didn't even notice it looking at the schedule until you folks started talking about it. So an awesome month gets even better.

You have one of the most unique names on this board, Raekwon. You're not going to blow up my project and steal my assets, are you? Do I need to protect my neck?

CelluloidRulesEverythingAroundMe

Another one of my favorite names on the board is "Sparklemotion." I just don't know if Sparklemotion is committed to the board, though. Well, at least the other Frank told me this.

Frank:

The lucha libre films probably belong in TCM Underground, not the Imports. :-)

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a listing anywhere of the actual upcoming movies on Azteca America. They played my Challenge import, ?chenme al Gato, this past week, and I would have loved to let everybody know it was coming up again.

I'm excited about the John Ford films, especially UP THE RIVER!

Also, the Kim Novak film, JEANNE EAGELS is one that I've always wanted to see!

And Irene Dunne as star of the month? Can't beat that!

good job TCM!

Sandy K

I better free up some space on my DVR the next couple months - I only have 70 hours left! LOL

Well, I could mention a whole lot of specifics but will just leave it at this -

They're sure doing their part to make it a memorable holiday season and

have really pulled out the stops to make December one of their best line-ups ever!

THANKS TCM!!!

"Dec. 9, Sunday 8pm

A Christmas Carol, (1938)

In this adaptation of Charles Dickens' classic tale, an elderly miser learns the error of his ways on Christmas Eve. Cast: Reginald Owen, Gene Lockhart, Kathleen Lockhart. Dir: Edwin L. Marin. C-69 mins, TV-G, CC "

Ooooooo my fav version and they replay it on Christmas Eve~!!

Big Thanks to TCM.

:-)