Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
butterscotchgreer

esther (essy) williams

i love watching essy movies. they are sooo cute!! i have most of her movies and am still collecting as we speak. heehee! i think my fav of hers would have to be either bathing beauty, or thrill of a romance or dangerous when wet. but i love all of them.oh and i love duchess of idaho and million dollar mermaid too.

she looks so beautiful in the water and always managed to never lose her makeup or mess up her hair in the water. they say she was the reason they came up with water proof makeup and she wore it all through her movies. they also used to put jello in her hair to keep it still in the water. i watched the private screenings and i remember her talking about how dry her skin always was. the poor girl!! she is still alive today and has her own bathing suit store. i loved her bathing suits so much in her movies that i just had to get one from her store online. they are gorgeous. i got one that is white with black polka dots. its has a halter neck and a little skirt at the bottom. i love wearing it!! it is so pretty!!

she is defintely different and a one of a kind star.ever since i first saw her movies,every time the olympics come on i have to watch the syncronized swimming and then i think of essy. heehee!

And most (all?) of her movies are in beautiful Technicolor!

I think I saw some or all of the interview a while back.

Isn't she still involved with synchronized swimming or something like that

and helped start it?

Message was edited by: Snarfie

She might not be considered a great actress (I just wanted to beat the snipers to the punch), but I thought she did a fine job in her movies and looked absolutely GORGEOUS.

I'm a big fan as well!!

hey jeff!!!!

the olympics put syncronized swimming as an event b/c of essy. yes she did help start it. the first time it was ever put into a movie was in Bathing Beauty, one of her movies with red skelton. they did a few together. i dont remember is it was even around before essy came along. ill have to look that up. :)

hey cinemaven, im glad you are a fan of hers to. what are some that you like best of hers?

Her musical films made more money for MGM, than any of their other musical stars. I remember a very old Mad Magazine where her name was Esther Gillgams.

Butterscotch...the Esther Williams films I've enjoyed were "Easy To Wed" "Bathing Beauty" "Neptune's Daughter" "The Unguarded Moment" and liked seeing her work in an Andy Hardy film ("...Double Life.") Gosh she was pretty.

Baby it's c-c-cold outside.

i like those too, Neptune's Daughter is a funny one and i like ricardo montalbon..in his early movies, not star trek. heehee!! plus you have a great supporting cast with red skelton AND betty garrett. she was always funny to me. i also liked Jupiter's Darling, which for years i got mixed up with Neptune's Daughter, b/c they were both planet names. oy vey!! :)

i love seeing the champions dancing together(marge and gower). it is so sad that they got divorced, they were perfect for each other!! not to mention howard keel is in this one. sighs. i love hearing that voice. he is in another another one of hers which is extremely funny and he sings in that one too(big surprise) ;), Texas Carnival. one reason i liked it to begin with is b/c i live in texas. heehee!

i also like Easy to Wed. i like all films with van (vanji) johnson. sighs again. dont anyone tell gary im drooling over other men. heehee!

i love all the andy hardy films and when i first saw the one essy is in, i was surprised. i didnt know she was even in andy hardy. i love the swimming scene in that one as well.

Have you seen "Fiesta"? Ricardo Montalban is her brother in this one and he is forced to practice bullfighting when music is his passion. Esther's character on the other hand loves the sport and is not allowed to engage in it because she is a girl. It's a fun story with a great cast including Akim Tamiroff and Fortunio Bonanova.

fiesta.jpg

1f14_1.JPG

ab_1.JPG

873815616Left click and "view".

We won't tell Gary of your fondness for Van Johnson or that I supplied you with some pictures of him. lol

Hi Theresa, By chance I saw Esther Williams this morning on Good Morning america with Diane Sawyer. She interviewed Esther for a special segment, and they they even swam together in the pool. Esther is 86, and she had a stroke. Her memory was gone, but it has comeback. I clicked on The GMA site, but I couldn`t bring up the clip. Maybe you will have better luck.

Yheresa, the interview with Essy is now posted. Click on ABCTV.com and go to the Good America Site. You will see the line that says "Catching Up With The stars". It shows a photo of Esther in the swimming pool with Diane Sawyer. She has aged since we last saw her, but she is still beautiful.