Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FIlm Noir Volume 3

I just watched Lady in the Lake on TCM and boy it was good...

I havent seen the others, I think I saw His Kind of Woman, I am going to give that one a try again because I think I watched it on a night where I was sleepy & passed out...

The others sound interesting and on top of that Amazon had it for 29.49

What do you think of Film Noir Volume 3 ??

This is actually the only set I do own, mainly because I love both *On Dangerous Ground* and *His Kind of Woman* . I really do like *Lady in the Lake* the more I see it, but I have to say one of those guys in the commentary track is a bit idiotic and annoying. The commentary track for On Dangerous Ground, however, is superb. It's also one of the best films ever, with my wonderful Robert Ryan giving one of his finest performances. I hope you like it.

*His Kind of Woman* has some of the funniest lines ever, and the chemistry between Mitchum and Russell is a joy to watch. I can view this one over and over with pleasure.

Volume 3 is my least favorite of the four volumes but I do like the set. *On Dangerous Ground* is easily my favorite in the set with *His Kind of Woman* ranking second. *The Racket* receives some criticism in the noir world but I happen to like the film. Robert Ryan vs. Robert Mitchum works for me. I also like Liz Scott and William Conrad. Anthony Mann and John Alton make *Border Incident* interesting to me, although the story was a little flat to me. I still haven't watched *Lady in the Lake*, but my expectations are on the low side.

The documentary, Film Noir: Bringing Darkness to Light, is a great addition to the set. The doc primarily focuses on the noirs in the Warner box sets -- so it comes off a little propagandistic -- but that didn't bother me. I loved hearing the noirists talk about the different aspects of noir. It's over an hour long. There's five noirish shorts on the bonus disc, as well. It's worth seeing.

Volume 1 and Volume 2 are selling for $29.99 at Amazon right now. Those are steals.

Lady in the Lake was good, having seen it on TCM and I did get the 3rd Volume for 29.49 at Amazon..we'll see..I have no expectations going on for the others, I hope I like them. I hope His Kind of Woman is better the 2nd time, maybe I saw it on a night where I was just too tired to really focus

I did get the 3rd Volume for 29.49 at Amazon..we'll see..I have no expectations going on for the others, I hope I like them.

I think you'll get enough out of the box set to make it worth your while. *On Dangerous Ground* is a film I could watch over and over. I love Bernard Herrmann's score, Nick Ray is a brilliant director, A.I. Bezzerides is a talented writer, and Robert Ryan and Ida Lupino always shine with me.

I hope His Kind of Woman is better the 2nd time, maybe I saw it on a night where I was just too tired to really focus

I'm guessing you won't like *His Kind of Woman* because it plays as a parody and the film is on the uneven side. The thing is, of all the people on this board, you are the person who I've been struggling to pin down in terms of film tastes. You really do jump all over the place. That's a good thing. I'll be interested to hear your opinions of the film.

Well I do bounce around all over the place...I wasnt into His Kind of Woman the first time - but I think I was just tired or something. Ill need a Red Bull the next time I watch - no excuses, I will either like it or not like it, watching it all the way through

On Dangerous Ground sounded like something I might be into, and a Bernard Herman Score really helps..

Sometimes if I am just too tired or just so comfy watching on the couch I can just 'pass out' for a while. ..its hard to watch movies after an 8 hour day sometimes..

The Lady in the Lake was 14.00 alone, and after reading the reviews of the other movies..if I like 2/3 of the movies I will be satisfied...

I have a long list of movies I will be watching

Film Noir Volume 3

I am renting a slew of movies from Netflix including some Film Noir Volume 4, The Killers, Death Proof, Kansas City Confidential

It beats buying movies blind , although Volume 3 was a bargain, so I jumped at it...