Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alfred Hitchcock's VERTIGO

MissGoddess

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you TCM for showing this one again.

Over the years I have grown to love this film and, like *Liberty Valance*, on subsequent screenings always realize something new about the film.

Does anyone have a link to FrankGrimes wonderful dissertation on this film?

I need to read again to and to remind him to watch *Obsession* as soon as possible.

"Does anyone have a link to FrankGrimes wonderful dissertation on this film? I need to read again to and to remind him to watch Obsession as soon as possible."

I loved "Obsession" very much. Genevieve Bujold and Cliff Robertson and John ("Third Rock from the Sun") Lithgow gave very convincing performances. Genevieve breaks my heart anyway.

As for FrankGrimes' wonderful treatise on "Vertigo" you only need go back to page 11 or 12 thereabouts on this very thread. It was a wonderful read and sowed the seeds to my recent PMs to you and he.

Enjoy! Say...is "Obsession" coming to TCM soon?

Vertigo Trivia:

Release date: May 9, 1958

The film is based upon the novel D'Entre les Morts (From Among the Dead) which was written specifically for Alfred Hitchcock by Pierre Boileau and Thomas Narcejac. They had heard that he had tried to buy the rights to their previous novel Celle qui n??tait plus (She Who Was No More), which had been filmed as Les Diaboliques1955). Source / More (Book)

The movie contributed a new type of camera shot to history, a rapid panning-out and then zooming-in shot. It?s called ?Hitchcock zoom? or ?contra-zoom? or ?Vertigo shot?. Source / More (Book)

The 96-room hotel York will be renamed as the Vertigo. Kim Novak?s character lived in room 501, which still retains many of its aspects captured in the film. Source / More (Web)

The Spanish mission doesn?t actually have a bell tower - it was added with trick photography. The mission originally had a bell tower but it was demolished in 1949 because of dry rot. Source / More (Book)

The encyclopedia on Vertigo: Sensation that a person?s surroundings are rotating or that he himself is revolving. Usually the state produces dizziness, mental bewilderment, and confusion Source / More (Web)

Kim Novak: ?Hitchcock didn?t like me in his picture and he felt I was ruining it. I got some of the best notices in my career. But Hitchcock couldn?t blame himself, so he blamed me.? Source / More (Book)

Hitch: ?In the second part of Vertigo, when she?s dark and looks less like Kim Novak, I even managed to get her to act. But the only reason I took Kim Novak was because Vera Miles was pregnant?. Source / More (Book)

Director Billy Wilder: ?Vertigo without Kim Novak is no fun?.

Remarkable:

James Stewart was very interested in starring in North by Northwest, begging director Alfred Hitchcock to let him play Thornhill. Hitchcock claimed that Vertigo?s (1958) lack of financial success was because Stewart looked too old.

Oh wow...I had a great time with that film and its homage to Hitch. Genevieve Bujold broke my heart in this movie.

No problem. To each his own. Novak is the reason I watch "Vertigo." I think she was perfect for the part. It might not have succeeded then but hopefully with its resurgence...Hitch has been vindicated. And Novak is still alive to see this.

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Oh wow...I had a great time with that film and its homage to Hitch. Genevieve Bujold broke my heart in this movie.

>

> No problem. To each his own. Novak is the reason I watch "Vertigo." I think she was perfect for the part. It might not have succeeded then but hopefully with its resurgence...Hitch has been vindicated. And Novak is still alive to see this.

Well, I'm overall not a huge DePalma fan. There certainly are some of his movies that I enjoy a great deal, but hitherto, *Obsession* isn't one of them. I'm glad to hear some people enjoy it!

And yes, I do think it's great Novak's still alive to see what a hugely influential movie she starred in (among many other fine movies of course).

>Novak is the reason I watch "Vertigo."

I don't always care for her acting but in this one, she's tops. My favorite scene is where we get to hear her talk for the first time. By the time this finally happens the movie has been ongoing for a long time and we've been through a lot. Scottie has followed her around, we learn all about the Valdez thing, and then here she is in Scottie's apartment after the apparent suicide attempt and we get to actually hear her speak. When we see her she is just utterly fascinating. She is in bed with a man in her room, she achieves this look of confusion about where she is but without any real fear. She is beautiful, elegant, and mysterious. Her manner of speaking adds to her allure. She and Scottie have a brief, clipped conversation and she is at the same poised but guarded. I just love her here ... and yet it's a little disappointing to have to realize ...

SPOILER

... that she is not that all, but the rather prosaic Sue Barton, who is somehow managing to come across like this elegant and seemingly complicated, beautiful lady. But that's another story. However incredulous it may see that Sue could have pulled this off, it doesn't take away from Kim's acting.

CelluloidK cited this in his trivia post below:

>Kim Novak: ?Hitchcock didn?t like me in his picture and he felt I was ruining it. I got some of the best notices in my career. But Hitchcock couldn?t blame himself, so he blamed me.?

Is this true that Hitch was not happy with Kim? I don't know the history of the film so this is news to me. I know that Hitch wanted Vera Miles. He had worked with her in The Wrong Man which was made not long before Vertigo. It's probably sacrilegious to say this but although I thought Kim was excellent I don't think Vera would have been all that bad. I think she was pretty enough for the role and she was probably a more polished actress than Kim. It surprises me, nonetheless, that Hitch may have not liked Kim.

Message was edited by: laffite

"VERTIGO" Themes :

birds - "Elster" is German for "mockingbird" and Kim Novak wears a pin shaped like a bird on the first trip to San Juan Bautista

mother - Midge says to Scottie "You're not lost, mother is here."

multiple personalities - Madeleine/Judy/Carlotta

the colour green - Madeleine and Judy are first seen wearing green, Madeleine's green car, Scottie's jumper, and the green light from which the transformed Judy appears

the colour red - Ernie's restaurant, and the dressing gown Madeleine wears

the cultured baddie - Gavin Elster (Tom Helmore)

the icy blonde - Madeleine Elster (Kim Novak)

the mirror reflecting the image of both Madeleine and Judy

the Hitchcock cameo - walking past the shipyard entrance, carrying a bugle case

Kim was great in Vertigo but the writer's ending was all wrong & downright absurd. When she falls out to her death it was almost comic. No matter how many times I see this film my wonder deepens as to why Hitch let it pass. To me he threw away the thrust of the story. What do U think?

I still think Mr. Hitchcock gave away the plot twist too soon, when he first follows Judy to her hotel and she convinces him she is not Madeleine, why show the scene showing her to be

impersonating Madeleine, why not wait till the end of the movie? And yes, she had no reason to throw herself off the tower, was she afraid of nuns? Or were those the days when the code wouldn't allow you to get away with murder, if that were true Gavin Elster did just that..

Well, this has been said before so nothing new, but I thought the whole story was preposterous. If Elster had so much money and influence (i.e, he bought off everybody at the inquest) then why not hire the best hit man in the world and be done with it (ah, but then we wouldn't have a movie). The plan as we see it played out in the movie is so elaborate and complex and fraught with things that could have gone wrong that it makes no sense to even attempt it. The movie is not ruined because there is much to like but the problems with the story hurt the film as a whole. The ending is forced because Hitch didn't want loose ends. But having her fall to her death was like an opera. All we needed was the music.

Vertigo is a very complicated film. Gavin Elster wanted someone whom he can "trust." Scottie was an old friend of Gavin Elster. And Gavin Elster was aware of Scottie's acrophobia. So he thought it is easier to put Scottie in his plan.

Well, Elster's an idiot: his whole plan hinges on his knowledge that Scottie suffers from vertigo, and his expectation that he won't follow "Madeleine" up the stairs of the mission's bell tower.

But he's even stupider than that: he leaves his only accomplice conspicuously alive (despite the fact that, as an accomplice to murder, she has every reason to try to blackmail Elster into paying her off to keep quiet. Elster already has one murder-rap hanging over his head, and the state can only send him to the gas chamber once, so why not just kill her?). He leaves her alive in the same city in which Scottie lives (which, back then, had a population of only about 350,000 in a fairly small geographic area), and lets her keep (or, at least fails to keep track of) Carlotta's necklace[/u].

Either Elster subconsciously wanted to be caught, or he was just the role model to give George W. Bush stupid lessonsl.