Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alfred Hitchcock's VERTIGO

MissGoddess

Heya, CineMaven -- I still say you two oughta write a book of essays. Your by-play makes me think of Loy & Grant, or is that Dunne & Grant. No I meant Roz & Grant. There....THAT'S the ticket!!! I meant Kerr & Grant. Or would that be Cary & Kate. Whatever...wonderful to read your missives. Have you two been properly introduced in real life??

Byplay? Really? Damn, I really need to pay more attention around here. I've attended too many Texas tea parties of late. (I'll take any Cary Grant comparison any day... thanks.)

northwest1.jpg

awfultruth12.jpg

awfultruth13.jpg

awfultruth14.jpg

Hi, Miss G(host and Mr. Muir) -- I wear my age well, don't I?

Compliment, you seek. None, you find. At the end of this block, you'll find a beauty salon. I suggest stocking up on some beauty goop for those long nights.

And I really did turn up my nose at the Angel Food cake, never liked that insubstantial fluff. Tastes like styrofoam.

That depends on the recipe and who bakes the cake. I'd be careful about sharing that Devil's Food cake recipe of yours. It's a killer.

CM, he doesn't need any encouragement to be Mr. Burns.

It's good to know I'm trusted.

tocatchathief305.jpg

Hi, Bronxie -- The only French film that I can think of that was influenced by Vertigo is this one:

anxiety13.jpg

anxiety11.jpg

anxiety10.jpg

anxiety12.jpg

anxiety1.jpg

anxiety2.jpg

CineMaven asked, "Have you two been properly introduced in real life??" Does this count?

anxiety3.jpg

anxiety4.jpg

anxiety5.jpg

anxiety6.jpg

anxiety7.jpg

anxiety8.jpg

anxiety9.jpg

No need to have an anxiety attack, Miss G. I'll post some more Vertigo caps later on.

Hold on a minute---that was YOU that called? I might have known. I think at the next tea party we will serve you a fruit cup instead of cake and Bourbon. Remind me to tell Theresa. Oh, and you still haven't returned Laura's Mercedes. Don't even think about driving back to Oregon in that condition.

Hey, Mrs. Doberman -- Somehow I don't think Nurse Diesel would have recommended Mozart for Scottie.

I guess you're right. Nurse Diesel does have more of a "hands on" approach. She's quite caring; very trustworthy.

anxiety15.jpg

Mademoiselle G?teau de Savoie -- Hold on a minute---that was YOU that called? I might have known.

I thought the heavy breathing would have been a dead giveaway. Curiously, you didn't hang up. I guess you're used to getting those kind of calls.

I think at the next tea party we will serve you a fruit cup instead of cake and Bourbon.

Ohh, damn. I guess I won't be served then. You should know by now that I am ALWAYS tardy to a pardy. You'd think pretty ladies would make me hop to it, but, here we are. By the way, rumor has it that you are always tarty to a party.

notorious1.jpg

Oh, and you still haven't returned Laura's Mercedes.

And why do you think that may be? If I've got Laura's Mercedes, what else do I got?

Don't even think about driving back to Oregon in that condition.

Well that's terribly kind of you to say. That kind of concern for my well-being is quite rare with you. So what do you suggest I do? Take a bus to where? And you'll have who pick me up then? Trusting you in the past has really gotten me into trouble, but once a fool, always a fool. Heck, what do I have to lose? I'll do it!

northwest2.jpg

Judy's letter is a classic "plot dump." No hidden messages, just straightforward truth telling. This is the part of the film where Hitch let's us all in on the scheme. All of us, but "Scottie." He still has some figurin' to do on his own.

vertigo61.jpg

Hitch breaks the "wall" with the above shot. Judy stares directly at us the audience. It's her and the film's confessional.

vertigo62.jpg

vertigo63.jpg

I believe the above shot is an important one. I feel it shows that Judy is worrying about "Scottie" and that Elster has power over her. For one to believe that Judy was truly in love with "Scottie," they have to believe Elster had made some serious threats to Judy.

vertigo64.jpg

vertigo65.jpg

vertigo66.jpg

vertigo67.jpg

vertigo68.jpg

vertigo69.jpg

Dearest Scottie,

And so you found me. This is the moment I dreaded and hoped for, wondering what I would say and do if I ever saw you again. I wanted so to see you again just once. Now I'll go, and you can give up your search. I want you to have peace of mind.

You've nothing to blame yourself for. You were the victim. I was the tool and you were the victim of Gavin Elster's plan to murder his wife. He chose me to play the part because I looked like her. He dressed me up like her. He was quite safe because she lived in the country and rarely came to town. He chose you to be the witness to a suicide. The Carlotta story was part real, part invented to make you testify that Madeleine wanted to kill herself. He knew of your illness. He knew you'd never get up the stairs to the tower. He planned it so well. He made no mistakes.

I made the mistake. I fell in love. That wasn't part of the plan. I'm still in love with you, and I want you so to love me. If I had the nerve, I'd stay and lie, hoping that I could make you love me again, as I am, for myself, and so forget the other and forget the past. But... I don't know whether I have the nerve to try.

vertigo80.jpg

vertigo81.jpg

vertigo70.jpg

vertigo71.jpg

vertigo72.jpg

vertigo73.jpg

vertigo74.jpg

vertigo75.jpg

vertigo76.jpg

vertigo77.jpg

vertigo78.jpg

vertigo79.jpg

The screen caps where dialogue is shown are the ones that I feel are the most important. "This is the moment I had dreaded and hoped for" is the strongest of the bunch. It truly highlights the internal conflict Judy felt when she was "Madeleine" and at present. Her love for "Scottie" was chained but it always yearned to be free. She decides to break those chains and free her love for "Scottie." Wise move?

Hi, KubrickBuff -- Hey FrankGrims, great posts on Vertigo.

Thanks!

I wish that I could be the genius that you are

So do I.

I am just an idiot who knows nothing about film but film is the only thing that I truly love.

Now that's genius. Quite poetic.

Hiya, Film Fatale -- Love those screenshots, Frank G & Miss G.

Oh, no. That's two compliments from you this week. You want me to buy you a drink, don't you? But then you'll skip town, like you always do.

Thanks for the love.

Hey, Dobbsy -- I'm surprised you removed your remarks about Judy's "dread and hope" of running into John in San Francisco. Can I share my thoughts on that with you? No? Too bad.

I think it is possible for Judy and John not to cross paths in San Francisco, but I also believe you are correct, there's a greater chance that they would. The thing is, only Judy knows John. It would be up to Judy to notice John.

I believe Judy had moved on with her life, but her feelings for "Scottie" were still present, as shown by her keeping the grey suit and the necklace. I feel they were keepsakes of her love for "Scottie," not the hideous murder plan.

I'm someone who believes love enters your system and that love can stay in your system throughout your entire life. Even though Judy was no longer in contact with "Scottie," her love of him was still very much alive within her, although it was probably buried. When "Scottie" ended up "finding" her again, her love for him resurfaced and she was forced to deal with her feelings... again. She was once again, "Madeleine," emotionally speaking.

Judy's initial reaction was to tell "Scottie" the truth and run away; free him from his torment while also creating inner turmoil for herself. What caused her to change her mind? A second chance at love with "Scottie." She chose to deceive him once more. Judy could have told "Scottie" the truth twice and she chose not to each time. Fool me once, fool me twice.

The sad truth about Vertigo is that Judy loved John but John loved "Madeleine." In a strange, strange way, it's a "triangle" film. I believe it's truly genius.

Hey, Dobbsy -- Frank, it is YOU who loves both Judy and Madeleine.

And so you found me out.

It's funny, I question myself when I watch Vertigo because of how Judy looks and how "Madeleine" looks. I'm not attracted to Judy that much but I'm obsessed with "Madeleine." I'm very much like "Scottie." Judy and "Madeleine" are one in the same, so shouldn't I love them both the same? Well, I guess in real life, I would. But in film, it's harder to feel that way.

Hi, KubrickBuff -- Thanks for the reply and your kind words FrankGrims, I love Vertigo, Alfred Hitchcock is one of my heros. Glad someone will talk to me around here too.

Nobody's talking to you? I'll talk to you. What are your favorite Hitchcock films? Any that you are cold on? How about Kubrick?

Well, that's a hard one, I like all of Hitchcock's films up to The Birds, I don't care for the movies that he made after that all though Marnie was a pretty interesting movie. My favorites are Notorious, Rear Window, Vertigo, North by Northwest, Dial M for Murder and Shadow of a Doubt, I will add Psycho too. I like all of Kubrick's films except for Spartacas but my favorites are, Dr. Stragelove, A Clockwork Orange, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Eyes Wide Shut (underrated movie), The Shining, Paths of Glory and Barry Lyndon. How about you, what are your favorites? Hitchcock and Kubrick are my favorite directors of all time, nobody captured beauty like they did.

KubrickBuff -- Did you say something? Just kidding.

How about you, what are your favorites?

It's been awhile since I posted my Hitchcock rankings, and, it's actually changed a little bit since then, too.

1. Psycho

2. Rear Window

3. Vertigo

4. Strangers on a Train

5. The 39 Steps

6. North by Northwest

7. Shadow of a Doubt

8. To Catch a Thief

9. Notorious

10. Spellbound

11. Dial M for Murder

12. Rope

13. Frenzy

14. Foreign Correspondent

15. The Lady Vanishes

16. The Birds

17. Blackmail

18. The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

19. Saboteur

20. Suspicion

21. Mr. and Mrs. Smith

22. Family Plot

23. Young and Innocent

24. Sabotage

25. I Confess

26. The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)

27. Stage Fright

28. Rebecca

29. Marnie

30. The Secret Agent

31. The Paradine Case

32. The Lodger

33. Topaz

34. Torn Curtain

35. Lifeboat

36. Number Seventeen

37. Murder!

38. The Wrong Man

39. Rich and Strange

40. The Manxman

41. The Trouble with Harry

42. The Farmer's Wife

43. Under Capricorn

44. The Ring

45. Jamaica Inn

46. Champagne

47. Easy Virtue

48. Juno and the Paycock

49. The Skin Game

I also like Kubrick, but I still have a few of his films to watch.

1. The Shining

2. The Killing

3. 2001: A Space Odyssey

4. A Clockwork Orange

5. Lolita

6. Dr. Strangelove

7. Paths of Glory

My second favorite director is Fritz Lang and I consider F.W. Murnau to be the greatest director of all.

Frank...ChipHeartsMovies think "Vertigo" is over-rated. I wish he would read your thesis on the film. It really was a great read.

Rhett-loves-Scarlett...Scarlett-loves-Ashley...Ashley loves the "idea" of Scarlett, but the milquetoast really loves Melanie. That's how "Vertigo" is as you suggested. John/Scottie loves the Madeleine that is Judy...NOT the Judy who is Madeleine. He loves the illusion. And maybe that's why I love movies...the illusion of real life or reel life.

I think just the opposite of Frank--I think that Kim Novak looks prettier as Judy with the brown hair--it makes her eyes really stand out. Kim Novak had beautiful cat-like eyes. I think she looks gorgeous in the green sweater. As Madeline, she looks a little pale and washed out to me. Still, even a washed-out Kim is prettier than most girls.

Frank--I saw a dvd set at my local Best Buy that was a Hitchcock collection of all of his early films (pre-1940s). Do you have that set, and if so, how is the quality? I can't remember who put it out--it has a white box. Anyone else feel free to chime in if you have this set. It was selling for 20 bucks.

Sandy K

Hiya, CineMaven -- Frank...ChipHeartsMovies think "Vertigo" is over-rated. I wish he would read your thesis on the film. It really was a great read.

Wow! Thanks! I just checked out the "Sense & Sensibility" thread and saw that you were actually directing folks to this thread because of my words. I owe you a big thank you for that. BIG THANK YOU!

A film either moves a person or it doesn't. Sometimes a second or a third or a fourth viewing can make one change their mind and feelings about a film. Sometimes it's where you are in your life that causes you to view films differently. Sometimes your initial feelings about a film remain to be so.

I think a film like Vertigo needs to be seen more than once. It's not a straightforward film at all. I believe this is one of the things that throws people off. I've also heard many say they don't like the film because Jimmy Stewart's character isn't likeable. I can't argue with that.

I liked Vertigo the first time I saw it. I liked it a lot. I originally had it ranked as my 6th favorite Hitch film but I've since bumped it up to #3. I have a feeling it may end up being my favorite before long. It's a gorgeous film.

Rhett-loves-Scarlett...Scarlett-loves-Ashley...Ashley loves the "idea" of Scarlett, but the milquetoast really loves Melanie. That's how "Vertigo" is as you suggested. John/Scottie loves the Madeleine that is Judy...NOT the Judy who is Madeleine. He loves the illusion. And maybe that's why I love movies...the illusion of real life or reel life.

Gone with the Wind? Blah. Talk about OVERRATED!

Okay, that's just to see if certain people are paying attention. Byplay, don't ya know?

Actually, I have never seen Gone with the Wind. I wonder if I will like it. I wonder.

"John/Scottie loves the Madeleine that is Judy...NOT the Judy who is Madeleine. He loves the illusion. And maybe that's why I love movies...the illusion of real life or reel life."

Wow! That's a gem, CM. I love it!

"Madeleine" was a living portrait. That's one of the reasons why I believe Vertigo is a lot like Portrait of Jennie, which happens to be another film about obsession that I love.

Hey, Sandra K -- I think just the opposite of Frank--I think that Kim Novak looks prettier as Judy with the brown hair--it makes her eyes really stand out. Kim Novak had beautiful cat-like eyes. I think she looks gorgeous in the green sweater. As Madeline, she looks a little pale and washed out to me. Still, even a washed-out Kim is prettier than most girls.

How dare you disagree with me?! Oh, wait, that's okay. I'm actually glad to see someone like "Judy" more than "Madeleine." "Judy" is almost always referred to as "ugly" because of her eyebrows.

This Scottie is very much like "Scottie." I'm sexually turned on by "Judy" but "Madeleine" does more than that for me and cannot say why because it's not like I know her personality at all. Maybe it's because Hitch uses a lot of soft focus with "Madeleine." Maybe it's because she's a blonde. Maybe it's that grey suit. Maybe it's because I see "Madeleine" more in the film. I'm not sure. Well, to be completely honest, it's probably because Judy's eyebrows and hairstyle are turn offs for me.

Frank--I saw a dvd set at my local Best Buy that was a Hitchcock collection of all of his early films (pre-1940s). Do you have that set, and if so, how is the quality? I can't remember who put it out--it has a white box. Anyone else feel free to chime in if you have this set. It was selling for 20 bucks.

The DVD box set I have is called Alfred Hitchcock: The Early Years. It has 14 DVDs in the set. It contains all of Hitch's early-British films (Region 1 available) with the exception of Juno and the Paycock and Champagne. I had to buy two different Hitch collections just to get those two titles.

The quality of the films is very acceptable, although they are nowhere near pristine. Some are more dark than others, some feature more dirt than others, some feature weak audio, etc. But I found all to be watchable. The most annoying for me is The Skin Game because there are scenes in the film where the heads of those who are talking are being "cut off." The Skin Game is my least favorite Hitch film, so I don't mind this film having a weak presentation.

It you want to see image quality, I suggest checking out my "The Lovely Ladies of Hitchcock (1927-1949)" thread in this forum. All of the images I posted are from the DVDs in my box set.

If I were collecting Hitch DVDs from scratch today, this is the collection I'd get:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Hitchcock-Collection-6pc-Alfred/dp/B000M5KA44/ref=sr_1_15/105-9988985-6276428?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1194138781&sr=1-15

If this is the "white cover" collection you speak of, I'd definitely take the plunge. You get all of Hitch's available R1 films with the exception of Murder!, which you can get cheap by itself. The Ultimate Hitchcock Collection is selling for just $12.32 at DeepDiscount and the DeepDiscount big sale starts on November 9th. Hitch's Masterpiece Collection is also a steal at Amazon right now, selling for just $57.99. If anyone wanted to start a Hitch DVD collection, now would be a good time.

I think just the opposite of Frank--I think that Kim Novak looks prettier as Judy with the brown hair--it makes her eyes really stand out. Kim Novak had beautiful cat-like eyes. I think she looks gorgeous in the green sweater. As Madeline, she looks a little pale and washed out to me. Still, even a washed-out Kim is prettier than most girls.

Hi Sandy---I remember seeing Vertigo as a little girl and thinking "Judy" was so much prettier and that "Madeleine" looked boring. Now, grey is one of my favorite colors to wear so I'm much more partial to Maddy's look. And you're right, either way, Kim is not a girl to "disappear" in any crowd. Not by a long shot.

I think just the opposite of Frank

So do I, about everything. :P:P

I think just the opposite of Frank

So do I, about everything. - Miss G

I thought you liked Vertigo? No? I LOVE GARY COOPER! How about you? Do you think I'm being a little disingenuous with you?

lacking in frankness, candor, or sincerity; falsely or hypocritically ingenuous; insincere:

See, lacking in "FRANKness." It can't be me.

Do I need to show everyone how you showed up for tonight's party, Miss G? I didn't want to do this, but you've forced my hand.

pinkpanther13.jpg

I must say, you still look awfully good despite being plastered.

By the way, "thanks" for arranging my ride home the other night. Great directions.

northwest3.jpg

Yes, "dirt on the shoulder" is the in thing this year.

That word again, I still don't know what it means.

And with regard to that clearly and maliciously doctored photograph, I am offended and will see you in court.

By the way, have you met my lawyer?

jimmyanatomy.jpg

He took my case after a cozy little chat in his office and he let me play his records. He also kindly let Fluffy have some of his beer. I think he's [very] cute.

LeeJimmyonAnatomyofaMurder.jpg

Why are you holding your head and wearing shades in the daytime? Don't you think the jury is going to see that you've got a serious hangover? Go ahead, take me to court.

I think you just want sympathy. You just want your laywer to put his hand on your knee. That's how it starts.

Did I hurt your feelings?

northwest4.jpg