Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alfred Hitchcock's VERTIGO

MissGoddess

Real life Judge Welch gives the line such....integrity!

My lawyer goes fly fishing with Welchy all the time, which is why this case is in the bag.

Mr. Grimes, on the other hand, doesn't fool anyone on the subject of angling.

libeledlady-1.jpg

Miss G(one Fishin') -- Mr. Grimes, on the other hand, doesn't fool anyone on the subject of angling.

Hey, we all can't be experts at fishing like you, Miss Gun For Hire.

thisgun5.jpg

By the way, what kind of fish is it that you're trying to hook?

Guess what? I've got a date lined up for this weekend. We're going boating on the lake

and I'm a little nervous because of how poorly a fisherman I am, so maybe you can give

me a tip or two. This girl is heaven sent and I really want to impress her. Here's a

picture of her:

leaveher1.jpg

Don't let those dark glasses fool you, she's really a darling little angel. I know you always

show so much concern for me, so I trust you will lead me down the right path.

Hi, CineMaven -- Thanks for the advice. You seem to have my best

interest in mind. I've decided to cancel my date with the "lifeguard." I'm letting

my kid brother take my place instead.

I've got a thing for water and a local dating service (The Love Connection) has

provided with me with a few options. I'm not sure which to take. Any new advice?

I'm afraid to hear what Miss G has to say. Bronxie seems to have a kind streak in

her, though. I can listen to her.

Girl #1 - She says she loves late-night dips in the pool, is very affectionate, LOVES

a man's touch, and is a Tigress in bed. She also mentioned something about a curse.

I'm guessing it has to do with her feeling down and out with love, but I'm sure I can

change that for her. I'm sure she just needs a "confident, dominant" man.

catpeople1.jpg

Girl #2 - She's a young french girl who says her greatest desire is to travel to

South America and kill a man with love. She says she's honest to a fault, is afraid

of heights, and is very shy around other women.

tocatchathief208.jpg

Girl #3 - She's a mysterious woman who says she has such a wonderful personality

that she often feels like two different people. She says she loves to sight-see, visit

museums, and has a death wish. She also mentions her love of grey suits.

vertigo100.jpg

So any advice? I cannot choose.

tocatchathief209.jpg

:D:P

Cornel Wilde is a major ****

I haven't admittedly seen that many of his films, but I've just never been interested in him. He, well, I just HATE to say it, comes off a bit on the weenie-ish side to me. There's no chutzpah. He did do a Robin Hood movie which has gotten its share of praise and I'd like to see it.

Actually, he was good for me in The Big Combo, but I was desperate to have someone half-way decent to cling to in that den of thieves. ;)

I thought he was rather sweet in that episode of "I Love Lucy" in which Lucy does her celebrity-stalker routine yet again.

My first introduction to Cornel Wilde was in A SONG TO REMEMBER. I couldn't believe this strapping handsome guy was playing Frederic Chopin. (he didn't need to emote there; Paul Muni overacted for ten people)

He doesn't exactly sizzle with charisma, I must agree.

His acting never really set me on fire; it took me a while to realize, in FOREVER AMBER, that his character was SUPPOSED to be emotionally cold-blooded (and not just wooden)

He really floats my boat, though, in LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN. Just the thought of Gene's character getting cozy with him during their honeymoon sends me into a swoon.

I'm not normally attracted to muscle bound guys but I'll make an exception in his case.

Duane notwithstanding.

With me, it was OMAR KHAYYAM, still one of my guilty-pleasure movies (an Arabian Nights movie without genies, magic lamps or flying carpets, and a philosophical bent). If it's part of the post-1948 package of films TCM's leased from Paramount, I wish they'd finally

get around to showing it (it used to play all the time on the old AMC).

Hey, CineSage -- With me, it was OMAR KHAYYAM, still one of my

guilty-pleasure movies (an Arabian Nights movie without genies, magic lamps or

flying carpets, and a philosophical bent).

A philosophical bent? That sounds very interesting to me. If they do fire this one up, I'll

be sure to tape it thanks to your words here.

By the way, your Casablanca posts have been exceptional. Dead-on.

Speaking of guilty pleasures...

Hi, BronxGirl!

leaveher18.jpg

Thanks, Frank, you're very kind. I just posted another comment about CASABLANCA that you may wish to read:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=117221&tstart=0

As for OMAR KHAYYAM, I'm not saying it's a particularly good movie (how good was any Y. Frank Freeman, jr.-produced film?), but it's colorful and a bit different, though it descends from the aforementioned philosophizing into a standard melodramatic adventure story. It does have a first-rate cast and a very nice Victor Young score, though.

[CineMaven] -- *But he just never had a strong persona for me.*

I, too, have seen few of his movies, but it seems like I've always known of him. Was his picture in alot of photoframes at Woolworth's in the '50's? What little I have seen makes me think there's no there there. Love *The Big Combo* , but others probably could have filled the role as well. Then there's *Passion* -- I was psyched for a Dwan western with Wilde, Raymond Burr, Yvonne DeCarlo (in two roles!), Lon Chaney, Jr., an uncredited Clayton Moore, and John Alton cinematography. Blah. Then a friend gave me a copy of *Hot Blood* -- it looked like it would turn me around on him, but then it started pixilating until it was unwatchable. So Cornel is doomed in my house...thusfar

Hi, CineSage -- I've been keeping up with the Casablanca conversation. I really need to watch the anthem scene again just so that I can take in everything you've been saying. It's been a little while since I watched the film, plus I've only seen it a few times in my life.

As for OMAR KHAYYAM, I'm not saying it's a particularly good movie (how good was any Y. Frank Freeman, jr.-produced film?), but it's colorful and a bit different, though it descends from the aforementioned philosophizing into a standard melodramatic adventure story. It does have a first-rate cast and a very nice Victor Young score, though.

Whenever I read knowledgeable folks like yourself recommend films that I've never heard of, my interest level piques. Thanks for the heads up on the film.

Hiya, Bronxie -- Ah, Frankie me bucko!!! (I've been watching a lot of Barry Fitzgerald today) What a perfect photo!! But he's got his pajama top on -- that's too much clothing for me.

The only two Wilde films I have on DVD are Leave Her to Heaven and The Big Combo, and I've yet to watch the latter. Yes, I'm in a serious DVD-watching R-U-T.

I could post Leave Her to Heaven caps all the time. It's a gorgeous-looking film and it's the film where I think Gene is at her most radiant. I'll give you a couple Wilde caps, but I'm selfish when it comes to Gene pics, sorry.

leaveher2.jpg

leaveher7.jpg

leaveher3.jpg

leaveher4.jpg

leaveher5.jpg

leaveher6.jpg

Love those Cornel photos, Frank, thanks so much. He looks good in a suit, in p.j.'s, in just about anything. (even ruffles in A SONG TO REMEMBER)

If you want to see major overacting, see the latter -- Paul Muni will make you want to tear your hair out.

• 2 weeks later...