Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ROBERT RYAN - The Real Quiet Man

MissGoddess

TCM played it? Oh, darn, how could I miss that. Well, hopefully it wasn't the last time.

In the mean time, more pix of the Robert Ryans:

ryanswbaby.jpg

His wife was TALL. Ryan was 6'4" and she nearly meets him. Fond of hunting, I wonder if they ever accompanied the Coopers? I'm not sure, because they didn't hang out with too many stars.

ryanshunting.jpg

The real Ryan's Daughter!

ryansdaughter.jpg

At home with his books....

ryaninthelibrary.jpg

With the kids....

rryanwithsonTimmy.jpg

rryanwchildren.jpg

EXECUTIVE ACTION, Robert Ryan's next to last film ( 1973 ) will be released on DVD next month. The film deals with the RFK assassination. He is a right - wing baddie. I have already ordered my copy.

Message was edited by: ken123

Message was edited by: ken123

This part-Irish Chicagoan, who is very liberal (proof: I allow my teenage daughter to hang a White Sox banner in her room), decided to inventory his Robert Ryan movie viewings:

*The Woman on the Beach*

*Crossfire*

*Berlin Express* (rented the tape today - viewing tonight)

*The Boy with the Green Hair*

*Act of Violence*

*Caught*

*The Set-Up*

*Born to Be Bad*

*Flying Leathernecks*

*The Racket*

*On Dangerous Ground*

*Clash by Night* (w/ magazine ad hanging on a wall, but only has Douglas & Stanwyck)

*Beware, My Lovely*

*The Naked Spur*

*Bad Day at Black Rock*

*Escape to Burma*

*House of Bamboo*

*Lonelyhearts* (w/ glorious one-sheet hanging on a wall)

*Odds Against Tomorrow*

*King of Kings*

*The Longest Day*

*The Professionals*

*The Dirty Dozen*

*The Wild Bunch*

There are some decent performances in there. Sounds like I need to rent *God's Little Acre* and *Her Twelve Men* . Can't wait to get my Ryan/Tourneur fix tonight.

Let's Watch Two -- You are my hero, ChiO. I hope to catch up to you in the Ryan world, but it's gonna take some time.

You've absolutely killed me the past two days with your two baseball quips. This century, eh?

I'd be very interested in hearing your take on *God's Little Acre*. That's a sizzler.

Miss Kindhearted -- The Ryan family photos are some of the best posted on this board. They are very sweet. Ryan looks to be very "at home" at home. Thanks for those pics.

Why has no one mentioned Ryan's final film, The Iceman Cometh? It probably wasn't seen by as many movie-goers as his other films (it was part of a strange experiment to present classics to the public in very limited release. the experiment lasted two years and was a disaster, financially. On top of that, many of the films were mediocre at best. This one is one of the exceptions). It ran almost four hours, had two intermissions, and took place pretty much in a barroom. But the dialog and the performers who interpreted it were superb, and it's considered by many to be a major triumph of film making. Needless to say, Ryan was wonderful, as were Fredrick March (also in his final role), Lee Marvin and Beau Bridges.

I imagine most of these films, good or bad are tied up in legal maneuverings that will go on long after most of us have turned off the TV for the last time.

I'm glad to see *The Boy With Green Hair* mentioned. I realize Robert Ryan was too big for his role in this lovely small fantasy, but, from what I've read about his personal life, I can guess he poured his heart into it anyway. Both *Bad Day At Black Rock* and *The Boy With Green Hair* helped shape my attitudes towards war and social conformity.

[FrankG] -- Thank you, but your hero has feet of Clay...Johnny Clay, that is.

*The Boy with Green Hair* -- Yes, it only took 38 years for Dean Stockwell to go from being a boy green hair to being "one suave f#*k" in *Blue Velvet* . So it goes.

P.S. I don't intend to convert this to a Dean Stockwell thread. But wasn't he great in *Paris, Texas* ? Sorry.

To quote you Miss Goddess:

"I can't help but feel amused at his vehement cynicism, it's too strong not to be crying out to be proven wrong... He's not God, his judgements are not absolute and he can be persuaded to change his mind. But no, everyone stands around, mutely, providing him with a willing audience to spew to and so of course he keeps on spewing..."

If I didn't know this was in reference to a Robert Ryan thread, I'd swear you were talking about some of our illustrious posters. (Teehee)

Your insight on the Robert Ryan character is soooo eloquent that I swear I want to go on this TCM Message Board, look for your posts and cull them all into a book of essays on movies. I sincerely enjoy what you say and HOW you say it. Very interesting reading.

*The Iceman Cometh* , like other "serious" plays such as Death of a Salesman, A Doll's House and Long Day's Journey into Night (among others) have always put me off. Maybe being forced to study them in the past has created a mental block. I have read about Ryan's wonderful performance, though, and would probably rent it if it came to dvd. However, I couldn't promise not to use the FF button.

Here are some more interesting quotes by and about the actor:

* "Ryan's kindly, rather worried face and tired eyes are sometimes seen in completely sympathetic parts, but the emotion he conveys most effectively on the screen is hate." Ian & Elisabeth Cameron, The Heavies

* "When McCarthy started, I expected to be a target simply because I was involved in things he was throwing rocks at. I never was a target. Now, looking back, I suspect my Irish name, my being a Catholic and an ex-Marine sort of softened the blow." RR

* In the early Fifties Ryan and his wife founded the private Oakwood School "which was a foolhardy thing to do, but we did it. We were dissatisfied with the education system where we lived in North Hollywood. The public schools were too crowded, the private schools were too full of rich kids. In the beginning we didn't have a clear-cut educational philosophy, it was watered-down progressive. For a while we had trouble with the more conservative elements in the community. When we ran up the UN flag, they threw eggs in the windows and at night they painted crosses on the building."

* "Ryan's role as the anti-Semitic G.I. in 'Crossfire' is an extra-ordinary performance; full in terms of the character he was playing, of concealment, with a thin coating of restless charm covering a cancerous malignancy that threatened to break out and shatter everything." John Cutts, Films and Filming

* "As in many noir films, Robert Ryan delivers Clash by Night's most anguished performance. As the model of the alienated man, pain constantly flickers beneath the sardonic mask of his face, although he holds his mouth tightly in check, and his powerful body in a useless rigidity. Ryan etches a complex portrayal of an unhappy personality whose miseries are expressed in acts of cruelty, but who is accepted with some degree of audience understanding." Julie Kirgo, Film Noir

* "Generally, I'm fated to work in faraway, desolate places. As I said to Cary Grant one time - I told him how much I envied him because as the suave, charming, gifted man he is, he makes all his pictures in places like Monte Carlo, London, Paris, the French Riviera, and I make mine in deserts with a dirty shirt and a two day growth of beard and bad food. But that's an act of birth. As I said, I get all the worst locations because of the way I look." RR

One last word:

CARY GRANT to ROBERT RYAN:

"I want you to know that I just saw 'The Set-Up', and I thought your performance was one of the best I've ever seen."

"Mitchum knew that in terms of impact, the picture belonged to the guy billed third, Robert Ryan: his Montgomery, seething, unctuous, animalistic -- like a rat suddenly exposed beneath a rock -- was a fantastic, daring piece of work. That was the way to do it when you played the bad guy, Mitchum thought: no compromise, take it all the way down the line." Lee Server, [Robert Mitchum: "Baby, I Don't Care"] (re: *Crossfire* )

"The three toughest guys in the movie business were Jack Palance, Bob Ryan, and Mitchum." Budd Boetticher

"Ryan was unfailingly powerful, investing his tormented characters with a brooding intensity that suggests coiled depths. Cut off from the world by the strength of their feelings, his characters seem to be in the grip of torrential inner forces. They are true loners. Ryan's work has none of the masked, stylized aura of much noir acting -- he performs with an emotional fullness that creates substantial, complex characters rather than icons." Foster Hirsch, [Film Noir: The Dark Side of the Screen]

"Bob Ryan was already on the picture. He was a gentleman, a sincere human being -- and what a good actor. He was with me all the way. Without him, I would've been laid out in the snow and counted out quickly." Andre de Toth (re: *Day of the Outlaw* )

What a glowing glowing tribute. Playing the bad guy is not just wearing a sneer, a black hat and a handlebar mustache. He was three-dimensional, with depth. Hey, others said it much better than I about Robert Ryan. Who would you say was tougher...Robert Ryan OR Lee Marvin?

Message was edited by: CineMaven

Archived