Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ROBERT RYAN - The Real Quiet Man

I think Mae probably thought Jerry would never look in her drawer. She may think he would have no reason to.

Earl, I agree, probably thinks he is a ladies man. However, thinking you are one and being one are two different things. That is why he talks so differently to Mae than the others. He tries to be poetic or sophisticated and I don't think he is.

When you all started talking mundane I thought you were talking about me. Chris Mundane. It has a realistic ring to it.

>

> When you all started talking mundane I thought you were talking about me. Chris Mundane. It has a realistic ring to it.

Oh my goodness, you should be ashamed! You know you're a doll.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> Me?! I'm always sweet and loving! I'm wearing a white hat!

Yes, but the man is not the hat....

seriously, though.....

I'm glad you are back on the boards. You stayed away too long, man of the shadows.

I'm glad you are back on the boards. You stayed away too long, man of the shadows.

You're trying to get me drunk and then run me over, aren't you, Little Red Buick? Thank you.

You know I adore you despite your hideous warts and your constant need to yell at me. :P

And I loved your animated cartoon with your "replace 'kick' with 'kiss'." That was wonderful.

I'm always here. It's just a matter of what's being talked about. I'm winging it with Clash by Night. The same with Gilda.

And, sometimes, I think it's best others have the discussion without me. I don't like dominating.

The last films I have watched are:

Vera Cruz (Burt puts on a show)

East Side, West Side (Ava is awesome)

Made for Each Other

Ossessione (revisit)

The Postman Always Rings Twice

and I watched this a day ago:

twentiethcentury4.jpg

Oooh, I am really curious what you thought of *Twentieth Century* and especially *Made for Each Other*.

I really need to watch *Ossessione*. I was pointed that direction, and saw a clip, which very much intrigued me..... but I still haven't seen the whole thing.

Love you too, even with your hideous taste in music and strange liking for Val Kilmer movies. :D

Have a good night. Let me know what you thought of those movies! I'm off to bed.

You're the delicate imbalance gal. In this way, you are the opposite of Quiet Gal

So does this mean you are saying I am INdelicate and (what?) BORING?????? :P

Before I break out any weaponry I just want to be sure I know what I am fighting about. :P

And I loved your animated cartoon with your "replace 'kick' with 'kiss'." That was wonderful.

Yes.. but she still has NOT gotten one for ME to post yet that has the little mouse using a BLOW TORCH on you.... now THAT would be wonderful. :D

I think it's best others have the discussion without me. I don't like dominating

Now this is a new "shiftless" tactic isn't it?? Shirk you duty by sounding like you are being considerate of others... ladies.. are we going to fall for it?????????????

I'm winging it with Clash by Night. The same with Gilda

Well I can't comment too much on how you have done w/ CBN since it has been so long for me since I watched it, I can't even "wing it" but GILDA was NO "wing" sir. Come back in there and chat some more if you have anything else to say. (oh gee.. that almost sounded nice, ha. I must be slipping) :D

The last films I have watched are

Great.. and I have not seen even ONE of them. How can I ever give you any grief if you keep talking about movies I have not seen??? (Where's the DUKE? Where's a FORD movie.. GOLLY... where's GARY when we need him.. BAH!)

Good evening, Quiet Gal -- So does this mean you are saying I am INdelicate and (what?) BORING?????? :P Before I break out any weaponry I just want to be sure I know what I am fighting about. :P

You're just wanting to fight! I see you as embracing routine and constancy. You're "meat and potatoes." That's me, too. I can't see Jackie embracing this. Handling it? Yes. Embracing it? No. She's more "spice of life." She's more about spontaneity, unpredictability. I can see her doing something different just to do something different. And not in a blue moon, either. She's very much of the arts. A different show, every day That doesn't seem to be you. It's certainly not me.

Yes.. but she still has NOT gotten one for ME to post yet that has the little mouse using a BLOW TORCH on you.... now THAT would be wonderful. :D

She said "kick" is "kiss"!

Now this is a new "shiftless" tactic isn't it?? Shirk you duty by sounding like you are being considerate of others.

Dammit! You're way too much of a mom!

Well I can't comment too much on how you have done w/ CBN since it has been so long for me since I watched it, I can't even "wing it" but GILDA was NO "wing" sir.

It's too bad you can't watch it soon. I think you would be ALL ABOUT Jerry. I'm pretty darn sure he's your kind of guy. Conversely, I believe Jerry would drive Jackie absolutely crazy. She needs her "amusement park rides." Nothing wrong with that, either.

Come back in there and chat some more if you have anything else to say. (oh gee.. that almost sounded nice, ha. I must be slipping) :D

All I need to do is write one word and you'll get back in the hangin' mood!

I can probably reply to Bronxie. Did I leave you "hangin'"? I'll have to look.

Great.. and I have not seen even ONE of them. How can I ever give you any grief if you keep talking about movies I have not seen???

You're just as bad as me. How does it feel to be this low?

(Where's the DUKE? Where's a FORD movie.. GOLLY... where's GARY when we need him.. BAH!)

I'm working my way through a Ford film right now. And Vera Cruz is POOPY COOPY!

Go ahead and pick a Duke film for me to watch.

Good night, Mrs. Negligee -- Oooh, I am really curious what you thought of Twentieth Century and especially Made for Each Other.

Twentieth Century is crazy. I really don't know what to make of it. I liked the first and final acts the best. I thought the middle was just okay. I did laugh at the film. John Barrymore was in full motion. He was super manic. Carole was mirroring John. That was rather fascinating. Roscoe Karns and Walter Connolly were excellent.

I didn't like Made for Each Other. It was a big disappointment. It's one of the weakest classic films I have seen.

I really need to watch Ossessione. I was pointed that direction, and saw a clip, which very much intrigued me..... but I still haven't seen the whole thing.

If you want to see what dirty, sweaty lust looks like, that's Ossessione. I think it's far better than The Postman Always Rings Twice. Of course, that depends on if you like things dirty and sweaty or clean and glamorous. I do love Lana's tush, though.

Vera Cruz is a very entertaining western with a good ending. I enjoyed it. Burt Lancaster was sensational. Gary Cooper plays the perfect contrast of Burt. It reminds me of The Professionals.

I think East Side, West Side would make for an interesting conversation, especially with women. Ohhhhh, Ava is absolutely nasty in that film. I adore her.

If you wish to talk about any of these films, just fire them up in "Rambles" or Miss G's "Lana" or "Ava" threads or the "Coop" or "Westerns" thread. It wouldn't work on this thread, though. If you like, I could try to watch Beware, My Lovely.

Hey, look! It's the Miss G pose! I'm very familiar with that.

postmanalwaysringstwice1.jpg

eastsidewestside1.jpg

Hey, look! It's the Miss G pose! I'm very familiar with that.

Hmm. Like I wouldn't look like a total idiot trying to be sexy

there, like Miss Ava Lavinia. She burns up the divan! Oh,

dear, Peacemaker would LOATHE Ava's character in

East Side, West Side. :D And the Mave would love her.

I'm not sure what Jackie would think or if she's seen it

yet. I'd love to talk about it one day. Or any of the others.

P.S. I bet you deserved those bandages, FRANK.

Hmm. Like I wouldn't look like a total idiot trying to be sexy there, like Miss Ava Lavinia. She burns up the divan!

Not that pose! I'm talking about Lana's back being turned and her arms being crossed! That's very you, Marnie!

Oh, dear, Peacemaker would LOATHE Ava's character in East Side, West Side. :D

She would. But she'd loathe James Mason so much more. :)

And the Mave would love her.

Oh, I'm sure CinemAva does.

I'm not sure what Jackie would think or if she's seen it yet.

I think she'd find Ava to be highly enjoyable. Heck, I can see her playing "Isabel."

P.S. I bet you deserved those bandages, FRANK.

I did! I was being way too nice and loving for my own good. And look what I get! Frigid!

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> Hmm. Like I wouldn't look like a total idiot trying to be sexy there, like Miss Ava Lavinia. She burns up the divan!

>

> Not that pose! I'm talking about Lana's back being turned and her arms being crossed! That's very you, Marnie!

>

Probably because you were being mean, as usual.

> Oh, dear, Peacemaker would LOATHE Ava's character in East Side, West Side. :D

>

> She would. But she'd loathe James Mason so much more. :)

>

Why yes, indeedy. He's so slick and wormy.

> I did! I was being way too nice and loving for my own good. And look what I get! Frigid!

Just what you deserve.

Hellllllloooooo Mr. Grey...

You're just wanting to fight!

Ha.. you caught me. ha. I have MISSED our knock down drag outs.. ha.

I see you as embracing routine and constancy. You're "meat and potatoes."

OH so you ARE saying I am boring. ha. :D

Actually you are not too far off (dadgum when did you get so good at "pegging me"? But "routine" has a sort of "ugly" ring to it.. ha. Too mundane. But it is true that I like things to be "regular" or maybe reliable is a better word. Constancy is a good word for it. I do enjoy "exciting" sometimes.. I like to travel (but do not GET to very often.. but I am not a big "touristy" kind of traveler. I like historic sites and "natural" sites... like state parks, etc. But lately the most exciting place I have gotten to see was likely WALMART, ha. So I guess even my idea of "excitement" is likely too boring for most people. ha.

OH gee, wait.. we had a BIG hot air balloon pass over our neighborhood a few nights ago. (close enough to the ground that you could hear the fire thingie going off every time they opened it up) We actually had to put the dog inside because he was going nuts barking at it (when it went over our part of the neighborhood,) We stood out on the back deck for at least 20 minutes and watched it until it was out of sight. Now THAT is about as exciting as it gets around here sometimes.. ha.)

But you are right about me (as much as it pains me to say it). If that is the most excitement I get in a week's time, I can live w/ that. I HATE drama. ha.

I do like a good chat though. Exchanging ideas and blabbing w/ friends and family.. that is my "excitement." ha. (oh golly.. I really AM boring,ha)

That's me, too

THAT'S only because of your diet preferences, ha. All you ever want to do is eat sawdust. ha. You need to LIVE a little, kid. Try the chunky salsa now and then... it will change your WHOLE outlook on life. HA. And PS, I bet "my boring" makes YOUR boring look like a FIESTA! ha.

You're way too much of a mom!

Ha... now I have YOU pegged. ha. And don't swear or I will have to wash your mouth out w/ soap (you did say I was too much of a MOM, ha) :-)

It's too bad you can't watch it soon. I think you would be ALL ABOUT Jerry. I'm pretty darn sure he's your kind of guy.

I think (based only what I can recall from WAY back when I watched it and what I have read here) that I definitely was pulling for HIM in the whole great scheme of things. Now as to whether he would be my type of guy.. I dont' know. I think he was not strong enough to stand up to Mae when she REALLY needed to be stood up to, and perhaps held accountable for the stuff she was doing. And no, I am not talking about harping or yelling... I mean that he did not EXPECT her to behave better, and sort of looked past her flaws for a while. (I might be wrong about that because I am REALLY winging it too, ha. I wish I could remember more about the story. I really don't recall too much)

Anyway.. that is something I like to see in a person.. it is what makes the QT well suited to me for sure. (not that I would even dream of putting him through all the junk MAE did Jerry) But he DOES keep me accountable. He keeps me on my toes (and I feel the same about him) so we are holding each other to the same standard because we EXPECT the other to be the sort of person they have promised to be. It is a good thing to have that in a marriage. You know you can trust that person because you know they are (as you mentioned) "constant" and consistent (in terms of behaving a certain way in any given circumstance.) Talk about being PEGGED. I can tell you (almost without fail) how the QT will react to almost ANYTHING that comes our way.. and he can likely do the same for me.. because we know one another.. and what to expect from one another. (oh gee... maybe we are even more boring than I thought,ha. But I like that in him)

I'm working my way through a Ford film right now

And what one would THAT be?? You have probably seen more of them than I have. (I am not as up on some of his earlier ones)

And Vera Cruz is POOPY COOPY

Well NOW I have to go look THAT one up right away. :D

Go ahead and pick a Duke film for me to watch

Hmm I will have to give it some thought. I WISH we could BOTH get a copy of Blood Alley (I think I remember you saying you do not have that one.. and I have not seen it in YEARS but I love that movie.. sigh) Miss G and the Movieman both convinced me I need to (finally) see The Shootist. And I TRIED to stay up late enough to watch that last night.. and fell asleep. (bah) Maybe we can get to that one sometime.

Tell me what one (of his) YOU want to see. Now watch..ha. It will be one I have not seen and can't find, too, ha. We are like two "movie watchers" that pass in the night. HA! :-)

PS: Miss G.. WHAT?? I would LOATHE James Mason??? Perish the thought.. Now I have to go look THAT one up RIGHT NOW!! :D

Miss G says: Oh, dear, Peacemaker would LOATHE Ava's character in East Side, West Side.

The Grey Guy says: She would. But she'd loathe James Mason so much more

Rohanaka says: OH good golly... I DO loathe Ava.. ha. OH ME!! I just watched a 9 min 42 sec clip of this movie (that is all that I could find on youtube beside the trailer)

The jury's still out on James Mason though. I could not get a good enough read on him based on what I saw. Now I have to go the library again.. ha. (MAYBE I will have better luck finding this one than I did w/ Clash by Night... I will keep my fingers crossed, ha)

OH so you ARE saying I am boring. ha. :D

To Mae Doyle you are, Geraldine!

Actually you are not too far off (dadgum when did you get so good at "pegging me"? But "routine" has a sort of "ugly" ring to it.. ha. Too mundane. But it is true that I like things to be "regular" or maybe reliable is a better word. Constancy is a good word for it.

Well, you are just like the rest of the gals I talk to on this board: don't let a guy define you. Jackie's loving you for that. :)

I do enjoy "exciting" sometimes.. I like to travel (but do not GET to very often.. but I am not a big "touristy" kind of traveler. I like historic sites and "natural" sites... like state parks, etc.

You're such a bombshell. :D You're very "guy" in your tastes. That's why I've always thought of you as a "daddy's girl."

But lately the most exciting place I have gotten to see was likely WALMART, ha. So I guess even my idea of "excitement" is likely too boring for most people. ha.

It's not always where you go and what you do that makes you exciting. It's what stimulates you. And if the word "stimulate" sounds threatening, you're probably into "routine." Jackie is seemingly all about stimulation.

OH gee, wait.. we had a BIG hot air balloon pass over our neighborhood a few nights ago. (close enough to the ground that you could hear the fire thingie going off every time they opened it up) We actually had to put the dog inside because he was going nuts barking at it (when it went over our part of the neighborhood,) We stood out on the back deck for at least 20 minutes and watched it until it was out of sight. Now THAT is about as exciting as it gets around here sometimes.. ha.)

That's actually rather exciting! It's the randomness of it that makes it exciting.

But you are right about me (as much as it pains me to say it). If that is the most excitement I get in a week's time, I can live w/ that. I HATE drama. ha.

That's pretty much what I thought. The only drama you really like is controlled arguing. I think Jackie likes uncontrolled arguing. She's like Miss G: she wants to slap. :D

THAT'S only because of your diet preferences, ha. All you ever want to do is eat sawdust. ha. You need to LIVE a little, kid. Try the chunky salsa now and then... it will change your WHOLE outlook on life. HA. And PS, I bet "my boring" makes YOUR boring look like a FIESTA! ha.

You and Movieman are far more exciting than I am, I assure you. Just having spouses and kids makes your life more exciting.

I think (based only what I can recall from WAY back when I watched it and what I have read here) that I definitely was pulling for HIM in the whole great scheme of things. Now as to whether he would be my type of guy.. I dont' know. I think he was not strong enough to stand up to Mae when she REALLY needed to be stood up to, and perhaps held accountable for the stuff she was doing. And no, I am not talking about harping or yelling... I mean that he did not EXPECT her to behave better, and sort of looked past her flaws for a while. (I might be wrong about that because I am REALLY winging it too, ha. I wish I could remember more about the story. I really don't recall too much)

Jerry was very trusting of Mae. I think he's genuinely shocked to find out she's done him wrong. And then he lets her have it. When things are right, is Jerry strong enough to tell Mae he doesn't like something in a strong way? Probably not. So, yeah, Jerry is probably a little too "nice guy" for you. Still, the kind of guy he is one I see you really liking.

Anyway.. that is something I like to see in a person.. it is what makes the QT well suited to me for sure. (not that I would even dream of putting him through all the junk MAE did Jerry) But he DOES keep me accountable. He keeps me on my toes (and I feel the same about him) so we are holding each other to the same standard because we EXPECT the other to be the sort of person they have promised to be. It is a good thing to have that in a marriage. You know you can trust that person because you know they are (as you mentioned) "constant" and consistent (in terms of behaving a certain way in any given circumstance.) Talk about being PEGGED. I can tell you (almost without fail) how the QT will react to almost ANYTHING that comes our way.. and he can likely do the same for me.. because we know one another.. and what to expect from one another. (oh gee... maybe we are even more boring than I thought,ha. But I like that in him)

In otherwords, predictable. That stems from routine. I'm sure Mae would tell you Jerry is nothing but predictable. And you'd love that about him. Mae finds such an existence to be a nightmare. Maybe she'll grow to accrept it and maybe even like it. But that's only half the battle. Will she ever come to really love Jerry the man, not just Jerry the Security Blanket?

I'm working my way through a Ford film right now

And what one would THAT be?? You have probably seen more of them than I have. (I am not as up on some of his earlier ones)

Four Sons. I've seen 31 Ford films.

And Vera Cruz is POOPY COOPY

Well NOW I have to go look THAT one up right away. :D

It's fun. But you have to like Burt Lancaster when he's full of energy. He's all the way "on" in this one.

Hmm I will have to give it some thought. I WISH we could BOTH get a copy of Blood Alley (I think I remember you saying you do not have that one.. and I have not seen it in YEARS but I love that movie.. sigh) Miss G and the Movieman both convinced me I need to (finally) see The Shootist. And I TRIED to stay up late enough to watch that last night.. and fell asleep. (bah) Maybe we can get to that one sometime.

I'm a little wary of watching The Shootist. I'm afraid I'll be depressed. I don't like that feeling with movies. You're right, I don't have Blood Alley. Any other suggestions?

Tell me what one (of his) YOU want to see. Now watch..ha. It will be one I have not seen and can't find, too, ha. We are like two "movie watchers" that pass in the night. HA! :-)

These are the Wayne that I have that interest me most:

1. Wake of the Red Witch

2. Seven Sinners

3. The Big Trail

4. In Harm's Way

5. Hatari!

6. El Dorado

7. Pittsburgh

PS: Miss G.. WHAT?? I would LOATHE James Mason??? Perish the thought.. Now I have to go look THAT one up RIGHT NOW!! :D

Oh, how you'd love him. Your kind of guy! :P

?Oh, dear, Peacemaker would LOATHE Ava's character in ?East Side, West Side.? And the Mave would love her.? - < MissGoddess >

?Oh, I'm sure CinemAva does.? - < FrankGrimes >

You BOTH would be right. Ava as Bad Girl? Ohhhhh, I?m so there, gang. Remember to duck next time, Grimesy. Your injuries look painful. Ouch!

Sir Francis:

Are those the Wayne movies you have seen or are most interested in seeing? I have "El Dorado" a couple of the others I have seen recently. Others I could get if you want to talk about them. I saw "Pittsburgh" a long time ago. I don't remember much about it though.

BTW, with all that "excitement" of being married with kids comes, for me, a lot of worry. As my kids are grown that is a whole different kind of worry than "Ro" has. Believe me it is not all that all the time. I am going through some "excitement" right now. Whoopee!

Edited by: movieman1957 on Jun 17, 2010 9:30 AM

>It's not always where you go and what you do that makes you exciting. It's what stimulates you. And if the word "stimulate" sounds threatening, you're probably into "routine." Jackie is seemingly all about stimulation.

I get the feeling that Quiet Gal is the one who creates the fun wherever she goes. I think she is the one who makes the excitement happen, or finds the exciting in the everyday events. This is a marvelous trait! I can do that sometimes, but my energy level is a lot less than hers.

I need stimulation from outside things and people more than she does, but I do not need other men in my life. This is one way Ro and I are exactly the same. I would NEVER cheat on someone I was with, whether I settled for them or not. I might flirt just a little, but the line is drawn. I truly don't want any other man (well, unless he was Ben Johnson, and Andrew has a lot of Ben in him). Luckily, I didn't settle for Andrew. He and I are volatile, but we balance one another.

We are both sort of in the same situation - we both dream of something better for ourselves, but can't achieve it due to huge responsibilities. Some of the responsiblities are pushed upon us, not ones we took on purposefully . Neither one of us is strong enough to break out of that and push for a freer life. We are amazed at the extra "good life" type things many others are going after (ie. the big screen TV, trips to Disney every six months, a new home or new car, etc....) And that is OK for us right now. We both have a rather old fashioned "less is more" outlook, which unfortunately, does not jibe with our neighbors, or our contemporaries. Sometimes we get envious of our neighbors seeming wealth or ability to get things done. I think our problems stem mostly from outside forces, but that means we stick together more. Sometimes we feel really small and put upon in a world of crazy movers and shakers living "the good life".

We are both stubborn as can be. Which is a good thing, mostly, otherwise we would be swayed by all the money and material goods around here. This doesn't mean we aren't tempted, that's the worst part.... but we live without, generally speaking.

The main difference between Andrew and me is that he is a stoic, and I am not. I'll admit I am a wanter, but I can control my wants because I KNOW that the getting is sometimes disappointing in the long run. So I enjoy my little dreams and fantasies, and mostly I am contented.

I just realized that *Made for Each Other* is not the movie I thought it was - I was thinking of *In Name Only*, with Lombard and Grant, which is tough going, a real woman's picture, but is elevated by the two stars who are great.

I am excited to see *East Side West Side* - Miss G always makes movies sound so fascinating that I have to watch her picks. I had never heard of it before.

You need to man up and watch *The Shootist* sometime (I won't push you into it now), because it is a great, quiet performance by Wayne at a time when he was supposed to be larger than life - you need to see it if only to change your mind about the Wayne of this period. It's not that depressing. Trust me. :)

For some reason, Vera Cruz has never interested me. I don't know why, I love Coop and Burt. I watched the Wreck of the Mary Deare last weekend and really enjoyed it. Charlton Heston was a riot. Not to throw out yet another movie to chat about....

The first time I saw *Twentieth Century*, I was a bit disappointed, but seeing it again this year I found a LOT to enjoy in it. It is not a typical screwball comedy. I found the push and pull between Lombard and Barrymore much funnier and more tender this time. It should have been called "Made for Each Other", LOL.

Edited by: JackFavell on Jun 17, 2010 9:43 AM

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> BTW, with all that "excitement" of being married with kids comes, for me, a lot of worry. As my kids are grown that is a whole different kind of worry than "Ro" has. Believe me it is not all that all the time. I am going through some "excitement" right now. Whoopee!

I hear you. I worry ALL the time. Great to know it never goes away.... ha!

I hope your "excitement" is of a kind that is good, or at least is manageable. :x

Hola, CinemAva -- You BOTH would be right. Ava as Bad Girl? Ohhhhh, I?m so there, gang.

You've seen East Side, West Side, right?

Remember to duck next time, Grimesy. Your injuries look painful. Ouch!

It's hard to duck a skillet while avoiding kicks!

How do, Movieman -- Are those the Wayne movies you have seen or are most interested in seeing?

Those are the Wayne films I have on DVD that I've yet to watch and that I'm most interested in watching.

I have "El Dorado" a couple of the others I have seen recently.

El Dorado is the "biggie" on the list, but I'm kind of looking forward to seeing something "smaller." Still, I'd watch it.

Others I could get if you want to talk about them. I saw "Pittsburgh" a long time ago. I don't remember much about it though.

It would be good to find one you haven't seen in a while. I'm curious to see Marlene with the Duke.

BTW, with all that "excitement" of being married with kids comes, for me, a lot of worry.

That is very, very true. And I don't find "worry" to be exciting. Still, when you're married and have kids, life is a whole lot different than when you're single. It creates it's own excitement. I have to create the excitement for myself. I'm not into excitement, though. I'm boring as all get out.

As my kids are grown that is a whole different kind of worry than "Ro" has. Believe me it is not all that all the time. I am going through some "excitement" right now. Whoopee!

:D You're at a worse stage than Quiet Gal. You're losing control. She still has nothing but control. Plus, most everything is still "cute" for her.

Duke has a very good rapport with Dietrich. They are fine together in "The Spoilers." They are better together than "Seven Sinners" is as a movie to me. MissG and I talked about that one a little while ago. She liked it better than I did. I think I was in a bad mood when I watched it.

I caught "In Harm's Way" (most of it at least over Memorial Weekend. I saw "Wake of The Red Witch" about a year ago. Watching Wayne and Russell is fun. Some exciting stuff there. It's been a few years for "Hatari."

Don't sell yourself. I've rad enough of your comments to feel you are not boring. You are certainly interesting and fun.

JF:

My situation is not overwhelming but frustrating. As if I don't worry enough anyway I don't need my kids to give me more.

Ciao, Volatile Dream Girl -- I get the feeling that Quiet Gal is the one who creates the fun wherever she goes. I think she is the one who makes the excitement happen, or finds the exciting in the everyday events. This is a marvelous trait! I can do that sometimes, but my energy level is a lot less than hers.

That's funny you say that because I think you make the excitement happen with your emotional energy and your mouth. You're the tornado. I know someone else like that.

Luckily, I didn't settle for Andrew. He and I are volatile, but we balance one another.

I think that's lovely, Spunky. :)

We are both sort of in the same situation - we both dream of something better for ourselves, but can't achieve it due to huge responsibilities. Some of the responsiblities are pushed upon us, not ones we took on purposefully . Neither one of us is strong enough to break out of that and push for a freer life. We are amazed at the extra "good life" type things many others are going after (ie. the big screen TV, trips to Disney every six months, a new home or new car, etc....) And that is OK for us right now. We both have a rather old fashioned "less is more" outlook, which unfortunately, does not jibe with our neighbors, or our contemporaries. Sometimes we get envious of our neighbors seeming wealth or ability to get things done. I think our problems stem mostly from outside forces, but that means we stick together more. Sometimes we feel really small and put upon in a world of crazy movers and shakers living "the good life".

That's beautiful. It's true, there is a lot of pressure on families today to provide the whipped cream and cherries for their kids or even themselves. Just cell phones alone is one of those dangerous "luxuries." I'd hate to be a parent with how things are in terms of "spend, spend, spend." We're such a "debt" society. I don't like that.

This makes it easy for the "Earls" of the world to impress a woman or even kids. The "Jerrys" of the world get the shaft. It's "Uncle Ethan" and "Daddy Aaron."

I'm definitely more like you in terms of "less is more." Even if I had money, I wouldn't look to throw it around on whims and fancies. The only way I would is for others, not myself. And I know that's what you mean, too. You'd spend the money on your girl. Although, your interior decorating itch would probably want scratched. :)

And I know Mrs. Thrifty Toastmaker surely ain't tossing the loot around in her castle. :D If you're "Arts," she's "Crafts."

We are both stubborn as can be. Which is a good thing, mostly, otherwise we would be swayed by all the money and material goods around here. This doesn't mean we aren't tempted, that's the worst part.... but we live without, generally speaking.

So long as you have real love, you're with. That's being rich. Yeah, I'm very old-fashioned.

The main difference between Andrew and me is that he is a stoic, and I am not. I'll admit I am a wanter, but I can control my wants because I KNOW that the getting is sometimes disappointing in the long run. So I enjoy my little dreams and fantasies, and mostly I am contented.

Perfect! Stoic, eh? With your kind of energy, I think that's perfect.

I just realized that Made for Each Other is not the movie I thought it was - I was thinking of In Name Only, with Lombard and Grant, which is tough going, a real woman's picture, but is elevated by the two stars who are great.

I'm sure I'd like it more than Made for Each Other, which also has two stars.

I am excited to see East Side West Side - Miss G always makes movies sound so fascinating that I have to watch her picks. I had never heard of it before.

Oh, you haven't? I thought it was all right. It's very soapy yet something happens in it that makes it a rather strange film. Ava alone is worth the price of admission. You'll get a kick out of James Mason. There's a lot to discuss for a woman. I think the different female personalities (here) would make it an interesting discussion.

You need to man up and watch The Shootist sometime (I won't push you into it now), because it is a great, quiet performance by Wayne at a time when he was supposed to be larger than life - you need to see it if only to change your mind about the Wayne of this period. It's not that depressing. Trust me. :)

It's not Wayne I'm worried about. It's just I know he was of ill health and the story seems to be sad to me. Wake of the Red Witch has Gail Russell!

For some reason, Vera Cruz has never interested me. I don't know why, I love Coop and Burt.

It's a very "guy" western. But I actually think you would really enjoy it because of Burt and Coop. The two of them work well off of each other. It's not deep, it's pure fun.

I watched the Wreck of the Mary Deare last weekend and really enjoyed it. Charlton Heston was a riot. Not to throw out yet another movie to chat about....

What?! You actually ended up liking Chuck? You?! Way to go! I'll see if I can check it out. I do have it on DVD.

The first time I saw Twentieth Century, I was a bit disappointed, but seeing it again this year I found a LOT to enjoy in it. It is not a typical screwball comedy. I found the push and pull between Lombard and Barrymore much funnier and more tender this time. It should have been called "Made for Each Other", LOL.

:D Barrymore is so doggone manic and I found his acting to be still very "silent." He was playing a "monster." And, for that very reason, it's rather brilliant. It's almost like the Citizen Kane of comedy. It's wearing on me pretty good. I now kind of like it. Roscoe Karns and Walter Connolly really help lift the film in the middle section.