Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ROBERT RYAN - The Real Quiet Man

How's It Going Grimesy - "You've seen EAST SIDE, WEST SIDE', right?"

Yes sir I have. It's been a while though. It might be considered a (dreaded) "woman's picture." I love Babs...but her "injured wife" is no match for Ava's "Other Woman." Did I mention I love Ava when she's baaaaaad?

"It's hard to duck a skillet while avoiding kicks!"

True dat, my grey friend. But if this were the movies...you two would be in a clinch by now. What's the hold up?? ;-)

> We are both sort of in the same situation - we both dream of something better for ourselves, but can't achieve it due to huge responsibilities. Some of the responsiblities are pushed upon us, not ones we took on purposefully . Neither one of us is strong enough to break out of that and push for a freer life. We are amazed at the extra "good life" type things many others are going after (ie. the big screen TV, trips to Disney every six months, a new home or new car, etc....) And that is OK for us right now. We both have a rather old fashioned "less is more" outlook, which unfortunately, does not jibe with our neighbors, or our contemporaries. Sometimes we get envious of our neighbors seeming wealth or ability to get things done. I think our problems stem mostly from outside forces, but that means we stick together more. Sometimes we feel really small and put upon in a world of crazy movers and shakers living "the good life".

>

That's beautiful, Jackie. It's wonderful you're both on the same page

with that. And I don't have to strain to imagine what you're surrounded

with and how it can make you feel. I admire you both for sticking to

your guns.

> The main difference between Andrew and me is that he is a stoic, and I am not. I'll admit I am a wanter, but I can control my wants because I KNOW that the getting is sometimes disappointing in the long run. So I enjoy my little dreams and fantasies, and mostly I am contented.

>

You're more of a stoic than me, if that's any consolation. I think I'd cave in on

so many aspects, and go to extremes in other areas. You're more level headed

than you give yourself credit for.

I don't know what you'd think of East Side, West Side. It's pure, glossy soap suds. The

kind I like but it can be too tidy for some. Barbara Stanwyck might be too muted, but I like

seeing her that way for a change. it's incredible that any woman is able to switch out her

lights, but Ava does dominate every scene she's in, just by her sheer chutzpah and full

throttle sexuality (forget the more subtle "sensuality", she's obvious and she knows it :D ).

I actually enjoy seeing her and wonder over her directness. She's not fooled by men

in the least. Barbara's character goes around with blinders on, it's her way of protecting

herself. See what you think.

I have a weird crush on Roscoe Karns. I find him VERY attractive.

I'm sick. :)

Karns never ever gave a bad performance. Sometimes you just hate him, but even when he's awful I still like him.

Crazy. :)

I love that description: *It's almost like the Citizen Kane of comedy.* That is a great phrase! I also like the whole "guy with the posters" part of the movie, too. It really cracked me up this last time.

>I'm definitely more like you in terms of "less is more." Even if I had money, I wouldn't look to throw it around on whims and fancies. The only way I would is for others, not myself. And I know that's what you mean, too. You'd spend the money on your girl. Although, your interior decorating itch would probably want scratched. :)

If I had money, I would blow it on whims and fancies... but my whims and fancies are very small. Stupid stuff for Alice, things to do so she could invite friends more often, or maybe if it was big money, a pool in the backyard (and a guy to clean it out). Our house is so small, that we always feel cramped when we have people over. I really just want to get our house "right". We never seem to have anything finished, or completely together. That's what I want. I don't want much, but I'd like it to have enough space so that we could keep it neat and organized. And pretty. :)

And I didn't say I liked hothead Heston in *the Wreck of the Mary Deare*, I only said he was a riot - we really enjoyed watching him get smacked by big waves. :D It's not a great movie, but it was a fun watch for a Sunday afternoon, with enough of a mystery to make it entertaining. Andrew watched with me so I liked it more. I thought Gary really showed Chuck a thing or two about how to get the job done. It's a great one for talking back to the TV - "DON'T open that hatch"..... whoosh.....

> I admire you both for sticking to

> your guns.

I don't always stick to my guns...but sometimes we have to.... we simply do not have enough money to do otherwise!

> I don't know what you'd think of East Side, West Side. It's pure, glossy soap suds. The

> kind I like but it can be too tidy for some. Barbara Stanwyck might be too muted, but I like

> seeing her that way for a change. it's incredible that any woman is able to switch out her

> lights, but Ava does dominate every scene she's in, just by her sheer chutzpah and full

> throttle sexuality (forget the more subtle "sensuality", she's obvious and she knows it :D ).

> I actually enjoy seeing her and wonder over her directness. She's not fooled by men

> in the least. Barbara's character goes around with blinders on, it's her way of protecting

> herself. See what you think.

Sometimes pure glossy soap suds are exactly what's needed! I am really curious now. I hope I can find it in a timely fashion.

Oh Grey Dude.... what AM I going to do w/ you??? ha.

You're such a bombshell

THEM'S fightin' words!! ha. :P I don't think ANYONE would ever accuse me of that.. even on a GOOD day. ha. You're funny.

You're very "guy" in your tastes. That's why I've always thought of you as a "daddy's girl."

I think you have said this to me before and I remember saying something like I am a mix of both my mom and my dad.. I am very much a soft hearted "Peacemaker" so I can slap you down, and then give you a hug. HA! :D

But you may be right when it comes to my personal tastes (as far as movies especially) I likely do have more in common w/ my dad than my mom. Maybe because when I was a kid... we watched what my dad watched. There WAS no other tv and no "videotape" to put in the vcr in some other room if we wanted to see something else, because they had not become the indespensable household items they would eventually became yet. (Oh.. and we were the "remote control" for my dad too. ha. As in: we had to get up and turn the channel when he wanted to change it, ha. OH those were the good old days, ha) I ended up a westerns and crime show junkie no doubt due to the influence of my dad. (but when it comes to the pro-sports stuff... meh, not for me ha. I used to get up and go read a book instead. ha.)

I am also more like my dad when it comes to things I like (w/ regard to gifts, decor and fashion stuff) Maybe not totally... but I do lean more toward the "practical" and I feel like that is more from him. (I was the girl who REALLY wanted a toaster for my birthday one year... and MEANT it, ha. remember?) My mom is more "foo-foo" and I am more "function" ha. But don't get me wrong... I like "function... with lace" ha. I am not a total "guy's gal" ha. Oh and FLOWERS and garden stuff are all from my mom. Love to look at them. Can't get enough of them.. ha. (but can't grow them worth anything, ha) And I LOVE a good romance.. that is all from my mom, for sure. So really I am a mix, ha. But maybe a "dad-leaning" mix of both my folks.

Just having spouses and kids makes your life more exciting.

The Movieman said it right though.. it DOES increase your excitement.. but it also adds to your worries. I am not complaining in the LEAST.. but oh me. I can remember when the kidling was born... and she had a few issues (she was an emergency c-section... God literaly spared her life) and so for weeks after that... I loved her so much... but OH ME... she scared me half to death... how could someone THAT tiny own so much of my heart??? It was terrifying. I still have those feelings.. just letting her go and do ANYTHING and having to step back and let those apron strings out... UGH, I hate it.

And the QT is no better... just seeing him ride off on his motorcycle to even just go to the grocery store. I can't help but pray God will send him back safely. It really is NOT excitement to have your heart owned by someone who could crush it so easily simply by their absence if something were to ever happen to them.. UGH (now I not only sound boring.. ha. I am co-dependent HA!!)

The only drama you really like is controlled arguing

If by controlled arguing you mean intelligent and respectful debate.. you got me. ha. I don't like pointless shouting matches (with no real purpose) and I despise when people just talk trash meant to put others down, but I do love a good verbal "knock down drag out" so long as everyone agrees that we are all entitled to our own opinions and no one is "better" than anyone else.

You are a very good one for debating because even though we are nearly complete opposites in how we view a lot of issues (Mr. Grey) ha.. you NEVER hold it against me or judge me unfairly for disagreeing with you.. and even though I would LOVE to get that ice cold rope around your Grey-ish neck and string you up, sometimes..ha... I never hold it against YOU for disagreeing with ME. We see things differently.. but we are the same in that regard. And you REALLY keep me on my toes and make me think. It is not enough to say I like something (when you are around.) I have to know WHY I like it (or don't) and that is fun. (Oh golly.. now I am sounding nice again.. What's wrong with me... I need a tune up. ha.Let's talk Rip and Vance some more.. or how about the Oxbow???? ha)

Jerry was very trusting of Mae. I think he's genuinely shocked to find out she's done him wrong. And then he lets her have it. When things are right, is Jerry strong enough to tell Mae he doesn't like something in a strong way? Probably not. So, yeah, Jerry is probably a little too "nice guy" for you. Still, the kind of guy he is one I see you really liking

I think you are describing him more or less how I am remembering. I wish I could remember more about their falling out (when he finally does "wake up" and realize things for what they are) Again, I am TOTALLY winging it here, but I think I remember him more or less making himself "willfully ignorant" of who she really was.. not really wanting to know anything about her outside of his own ideal of her for a large part of the movie. That is a sad way to live in a marriage. It IS good to have faith in the one you love.. but not "blind faith". You need to see the other person for who they really are.

In otherwords, predictable. That stems from routine. I'm sure Mae would tell you Jerry is nothing but predictable. And you'd love that about him. Mae finds such an existence to be a nightmare. Maybe she'll grow to accrept it and maybe even like it. But that's only half the battle. Will she ever come to really love Jerry the man, not just Jerry the Security Blanket

Ok.. first of all.. ha. "predictable" is another "ugly" word, ha. (at least for me) I like "reliable" better. You want to know that someone you love will react or behave a certain way not because they are "predictable" which to me sounds like they are stale and unimaginative.. but because they have a moral character which you have come to trust and you know you can rely on them. (that to me sounds more desirable) I know..ha.. picky, picky, picky. ha.

And as for whether Mae will ever grow to accept Jerry and love him... that is harder for me to say not having watched the movie in so long. But I think it COULD be possible. Repentance is a funny thing.. if it is REAL, heart changing repentance... Mae could do a complete 180 and GLADLY cling to what she used to reject (because she now values it far above what she used to value) but if it is only a "guilty conscience" sort of repentance, and she is only going back to him because she feels guilty and just wishes she to not be "bad" any more... that sort of repenting does not always "stick" well... and may lead her to falter again. It is not as "sure" a change of heart.

But again, I am totally shooting from the hip here, though. I just don't remember it all as well as I should to make a guess. So I guess what I am saying is maybe Mae can make a go of it.. if her heart really is in the change.

Four Sons. I've seen 31 Ford films

OH wowsa.. FOUR SONS is a NEW favorite for me. I hope you will go into RamblesJR. and dust off our chat about it and add your own thoughts when you are finished. (it is not too buried, it is a fairly recent chat) I would really like to hear what you have to say on that one.

And you crack me up w/ your statistics, ha. 31 Ford Films. I have NO idea how many of them I have seen. (I should sit down and count them, but I still be you have seen more than me, ha) You are the most organized film watcher I have ever seen. I love how you are able to pull out your lists and say _____ is my #___ favorite movie for any given actor or director.. or even genre. I can do pretty good w/ my top 3 or 4 in just about any of those categories.. but boy.. you know what you like. You are the numbers man. I am NOWHERE near that organized in my thinking. ha.

For pity's sake.. ha. When Miss G had asked me if I had seen Clash By Night.. I told her NO three of four days I think before I even looked in here and read what you folks were chatting on.. and then I realized (DUH) I HAD seen it, afterall.ha. I am a scatterbrain doofus sometimes, ha. :D

It's fun. But you have to like Burt Lancaster when he's full of energy. He's all the way "on" in this one.

Eww.. I am not a huge Burt person.. ha. I can really take him or leave him. I do like him in some films.. but usually NOT the ones where he is "way on" as you described. (I think I mentioned this in the Noir thread) But maybe Coop will make up for it, ha.

I'm a little wary of watching The Shootist. I'm afraid I'll be depressed

I am with Jackie... we BOTH need to "man up" and watch this sometime, ha. I had already made up my mind to watch it (and just was too much of a wimp to stay awake, ha) Let's try again the next time it is on... I dare ya.. ha. I think I have really made up my mind to go ahead and see it. I just have to remember to keep my eye out for it. (maybe my secretaries will help, ha)

You're right, I don't have Blood Alley. Any other suggestions?

Bah.. I love that movie. (I don't know if you will or not..but it is a GREAT mix of action, suspense and comedy even.. oh and Lauren Bacall is good w/the Duke too) I wish it was one they showed more often I have not seen it in probably over 10 years. (did I menton... bah?) ha.

As for any other suggestions... Its not a Duke, but I think you should go into westerns and click on Jackie's link for Hell's Hinges. It is not a long film and I think you might like it. (but I might not be as good at pegging you as you are at pegging me, ha) I think the Movieman is about ready to get to it... I'd be interested in hearing both of your opinions.

Of the Duke films you listed.... THE BIG TRAIL is a FABULOUS film. I heartily recommend it. It is a GREAT early Duke and you really get a good feel for the actor he will become someday. I have never been that big on El Dorado.. I think I did see it a LONG time ago, but for some reason can't remember that much about it.. and I have just sort of avoided it. (but not really sure why) Hatari is fun.. but you might not be that impressed. We LOVE it around here (even the kidling) You might like it (for the "Hawks" things in it). But for me, the story wasn't as good as a "usual" Hawks film.

I am not sure, but I MAY have seen Wake of the Red Witch (but it was SO SO SO long ago I have little memory of it.. I just recall John Wayne under the water in one of those old fashioned diving suits) and I have not seen any of the other ones on you list. (I am likely most interested in In Harm's Way, only because it is the one I have heard more about than the others.)

So pick one and watch it.. and then let me know what you pick, and if I can catch it too... I will. And if not.. I will just "whine" about it, HA. Because you do know... ha. I am a whiner.. ha. I don't know WHERE I got that from.. ha. NEITHER my mom or my dad.. ha.. I must have gotten some sort of "mutant" whining gene in the family line from way back somewhere. ha. :D

Hello there Ms Favell...

I get the feeling that Quiet Gal is the one who creates the fun wherever she goes. I think she is the one who makes the excitement happen, or finds the exciting in the everyday events

We call it "free entertainment" ha. Getting a kick out of watching the dog fall in a mole hole (we have so may of those out back I am about to open a golf course,ha) or laughing at the kidling's latest antics.. THAT is my fun. ha. (oh gosh.. I am digging a HOLE for myself.ha. boring, boring, boring, ha)

This is a marvelous trait! I can do that sometimes, but my energy level is a lot less than hers.

OH don't sell yourself short, kid. You would be surprised. The "old woman" in me is catching up to me day by day. That is my one regret about being so much older than the kidling. From the things I have heard you say, I think you and your family have lots of fun.. and you are the one at the center of it, little darlin'. And I love some of the creative things you have said that you do with your house, too. . I only DREAM about getting some of those sorts of things done... you go out and do them.

This is one way Ro and I are exactly the same. I would NEVER cheat on someone I was with, whether I settled for them or not. I might flirt just a little, but the line is drawn. I truly don't want any other man (well, unless he was Ben Johnson, and Andrew has a lot of Ben in him). Luckily, I didn't settle for Andrew. He and I are volatile, but we balance one another.

You know from the things you have said about your husband in the past, I can see the "Ben" in him that you describe. You two sound like the perfect complement for one another.

And I love that you say you didn't "settle". Sometimes the QT will tell me that I "settled" for him. (as IF) Oh brother..ha. Every now and then, we'll be talking about things and he'll get "reflective" like that. I think it is because he is a bit older than I am.. but not THAT much. But I think when he starts feeling his age he'll say that sometimes... ugh..we are BOTH oldies..ha.. But then I just remind him of two things..ha. FIRST of all.. I did not settle "for" him.. I settled ON him..ha. That is a BIG difference. And then second of all..ha. if I had "settled" for him..ha.. HE got STUCK w/ ME!! ha. So he made his own troubles in life, ha.

Neither one of us is any great "prize" I am sure, in the great scheme of things as far as the world is concerned... We have our faults and our failings, but we are exactly right for one another. And that is a really good thing.

We are amazed at the extra "good life" type things many others are going after (ie. the big screen TV, trips to Disney every six months, a new home or new car, etc....)

It never ceases to amaze me how many people fall into that sort of line of thinking. And I have never understood it, though I do confess sometime it DOES sound like fun. I just get amazed at how people who seem to be living lives very similar to my own will spend and spend... and spend. And here I am hoping we can just pay the light bill this month. ha. (Now I am sounding pathetic.. I don't mean to) I guess I am just saying that I am very glad to be married to someone who views money very similarly to me. It is NICE to be able to go out and spend it and do the fun stuff.. but we try to have our heads on straight before we do. It is better to own things.. than to have things own us. (oh listen to me.. I am such a know-it-all big mouth. Bah, I need to shut up)

The Grey Guy says: And I know Mrs. Thrifty Toastmaker surely ain't tossing the loot around in her castle. If you're "Arts," she's "Crafts."

Dadgum... HOW does he do that.. ha. I think he has us BOTH pegged. HA!! And he DOES remember my toaster.. ha. (at least he called me "thrifty" and not tight or cheap..ha.)

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> Hello there Ms Favell...

> We call it "free entertainment" ha. Getting a kick out of watching the dog fall in a mole hole (we have so may of those out back I am about to open a golf course,ha) or laughing at the kidling's latest antics.. THAT is my fun. ha. (oh gosh.. I am digging a HOLE for myself.ha. boring, boring, boring, ha)

Hey, if that's boring I am right there with you.... we like to laugh here too, like when Tippy the dog got stuck in Alice's hula hoop, or when Alice was mad once and screamed at us, "I AM GETTING NOODLES!" because I yelled at her for leaving the dinner table.... Now we say "I AM GETTING NOODLES!" whenever we are mad at each other or we just want to lighten the mood a little, cause it made us all bust out laughing that first night.

> OH don't sell yourself short, kid. You would be surprised. The "old woman" in me is catching up to me day by day. That is my one regret about being so much older than the kidling. From the things I have heard you say, I think you and your family have lots of fun.. and you are the one at the center of it, little darlin'. And I love some of the creative things you have said that you do with your house, too. . I only DREAM about getting some of those sorts of things done... you go out and do them.

yeah, but you should see our house - everything is HALF done - half the rooms painted, half the siding off, half the furniture re-covered, half the windows replaced....ugh. I just wish we could finish something!

> This is one way Ro and I are exactly the same. I would NEVER cheat on someone I was with, whether I settled for them or not. I might flirt just a little, but the line is drawn. I truly don't want any other man (well, unless he was Ben Johnson, and Andrew has a lot of Ben in him). Luckily, I didn't settle for Andrew. He and I are volatile, but we balance one another.

>

> You know from the things you have said about your husband in the past, I can see the "Ben" in him that you describe. You two sound like the perfect complement for one another.

Oh, he drive me crazy. The truth is, The Grey Guy only had it half right ---- any man would drive me crazy - a Jerry or an Earl. It just doesn't matter....but I do love him. :D

> And I love that you say you didn't "settle". Sometimes the QT will tell me that I "settled" for him. (as IF) Oh brother..ha. Every now and then, we'll be talking about things and he'll get "reflective" like that. I think it is because he is a bit older than I am.. but not THAT much. But I think when he starts feeling his age he'll say that sometimes... ugh..we are BOTH oldies..ha.. But then I just remind him of two things..ha. FIRST of all.. I did not settle "for" him.. I settled ON him..ha. That is a BIG difference. And then second of all..ha. if I had "settled" for him..ha.. HE got STUCK w/ ME!! ha. So he made his own troubles in life, ha.

Awwww. Poor QT. He thinks he got the sweet end of the pop and you think you did. You guys probably sit around trying to out-do each other on who got the best deal. You guys are so sweet. :x :x

> Dadgum... HOW does he do that.. ha. I think he has us BOTH pegged. HA!! And he DOES remember my toaster.. ha. (at least he called me "thrifty" and not tight or cheap..ha.)

Yes, be thankful... who knows what he will say next trying to psychoanalyze us to death. :D

>Neither one of us is any great "prize" I am sure, in the great scheme of things as far as the world is concerned... We have our faults and our failings, but we are exactly right for one another. And that is a really good thing.

Oh you know I feel that way too, that we are just right for each other. Andrew might say otherwise though. :D

*"I can slap you down and then give you a hug."*

I love it.

*Neither one of us is any great "prize" I am sure, in the great scheme of things as far as the world is concerned... We have our faults and our failings, but we are exactly right for one another. And that is a really good thing.*

Don't kid yourself. To fulfill someone's life because you love them and are there for them and share the everyday things makes both of you prize enough.

"I AM GETTING NOODLES!"

HA!!!!!! I love it. That might have to become my new favorite saying.. and I wasn't even there!! ha.

Awwww. Poor QT. He thinks he got the sweet end of the pop and you think you did. You guys probably sit around trying to out-do each other on who got the best deal. You guys are so sweet

He is a funny old man..ha. But I love him! ha. (and ps... I definitely got the better deal..ha. but don't tell HIM. He will just start arguing w/ me again, ha)

Oh you know I feel that way too, that we are just right for each other. Andrew might say otherwise though

I bet not. Didn't you say his mother was the one who introduced you? See.. even SHE knew that you were the right one for him, ha)

Yes, be thankful... who knows what he will say next trying to psychoanalyze us to death

Let's PM each other and cook up some sort of scheme where we pretend to be NOTHING like he thinks we are and start saying we like all sorts of weird stuff that we would NEVER really like (just to throw him off..ha.) you know.. REALLY weird stuff like.. I don't know.. TOP SECRET or something.. HA!!! (oh wait.. you might have said that you liked that one too.. I can't remember..ha Better pick something else. HA!! ) :P

PS: Mr Movieman.. thanks for saying that.(And I meant what I said about the QT..ha He is definitley stuck w/ me. ha. for 17 year as of the end of next week, in fact) I think you have it right.. we are each other's prize.

I imagine that you an your lovely bride are the same.

Ha... well. Now I am in for it.. ha. He always gives me grief about my cooking anyway..ha. But we will use your pic to it's full advantage..

On tonight's episode of "Cooking w/ Rohanaka... Baked Alaska.. staring "The Grey Guy as "The Alaska" Ha! :D

What's the word, CinemAva -- Yes sir I have. It's been a while though. It might be considered a (dreaded) "woman's picture." I love Babs...but her "injured wife" is no match for Ava's "Other Woman." Did I mention I love Ava when she's baaaaaad?

And this is my favorite "bad Ava." She's really naughty.

But if this were the movies...you two would be in a clinch by now. What's the hold up??

The clinch would be her hands around my throat.

Hiya, Musicman -- Duke has a very good rapport with Dietrich. They are fine together in "The Spoilers." They are better together than "Seven Sinners" is as a movie to me. MissG and I talked about that one a little while ago. She liked it better than I did. I think I was in a bad mood when I watched it.

Maybe I should watch Seven Sinners.

Don't sell yourself. I've rad enough of your comments to feel you are not boring. You are certainly interesting and fun.

Don't be fooled!

I should also get to Beware, My Lovely. I want to see Ryan vs. Ida.

Heya, Ford Floozy -- I have a weird crush on Roscoe Karns. I find him VERY attractive. I'm sick. :) Karns never ever gave a bad performance. Sometimes you just hate him, but even when he's awful I still like him. Crazy. :)

You're definitely sick and crazy. Your husband has no shot. :D You're your own screwball comedy. Roscoe Karns is perfect for your "world."

I love that description: It's almost like the Citizen Kane of comedy. That is a great phrase!

:P If Charles Foster Kane were played for comedy he'd come off as Oscar Jaffe.

I also like the whole "guy with the posters" part of the movie, too. It really cracked me up this last time.

Ah, yes, "Henny Penny." He's really strange but very befitting of the film. It reminded me of The Palm Beach Story.

If I had money, I would blow it on whims and fancies... but my whims and fancies are very small. Stupid stuff for Alice, things to do so she could invite friends more often, or maybe if it was big money, a pool in the backyard (and a guy to clean it out). Our house is so small, that we always feel cramped when we have people over. I really just want to get our house "right". We never seem to have anything finished, or completely together. That's what I want. I don't want much, but I'd like it to have enough space so that we could keep it neat and organized. And pretty. :)

"Pretty"? Oh, goodness. Cramped can be very frustrating, especially with a child. I can see you loungin' by the pool. :)

And I didn't say I liked hothead Heston in the Wreck of the Mary Deare, I only said he was a riot - we really enjoyed watching him get smacked by big waves. :D

Oh! Thanks for the clearing that up. I thought you had been struck by lightning.

It's not a great movie, but it was a fun watch for a Sunday afternoon, with enough of a mystery to make it entertaining. Andrew watched with me so I liked it more.

Awwwwww, that's sweet.

I thought Gary really showed Chuck a thing or two about how to get the job done. It's a great one for talking back to the TV - "DON'T open that hatch"..... whoosh.....

Gary comes out well? I'll hate it. Hitch needed to direct it!

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> *You're your own screwball comedy. Roscoe Karns is perfect for your "world."*

I am, aren't I? And he is. Wouldn't it be so great if you woke up in the morning, got ready to leave, and the world was populated by your favorite classic movie character actors? How cool would that be? There's a guy..... walking the opposite direction, tipping his hat and saying something like, "Say, Have you got a bottle of gin? I've only got an hour to live." and you realize it's Roscoe Karns! You go down to the bank, and behind the teller line is Hume Cronyn. He 's a little too chatty. The manager is Aline MacMahon........she is giving Hume a dirty look. Then slowly, it dawns on me... these are all my old friends from the movies.....oh, yeah... I am happy living in my own little world, populated by my movie friends....

Photobucket

> *:P If Charles Foster Kane were played for comedy he'd come off as Oscar Jaffe.*

Exactly! That's great!

> *Ah, yes, "Henny Penny." He's really strange but very befitting of the film. It reminded me of The Palm Beach Story.*

I see that... like the Wienie King. Odd people pop up out of nowhere.

Remind me to add the Wienie King to my list of characters I'd like to fleec....meet.

> If I had money, I would blow it on whims and fancies... but my whims and fancies are very small. Stupid stuff for Alice, things to do so she could invite friends more often, or maybe if it was big money, a pool in the backyard (and a guy to clean it out). Our house is so small, that we always feel cramped when we have people over. I really just want to get our house "right". We never seem to have anything finished, or completely together. That's what I want. I don't want much, but I'd like it to have enough space so that we could keep it neat and organized. And pretty. :)

>

> *"Pretty"? Oh, goodness. Cramped can be very frustrating, especially with a child. I can see you loungin' by the pool. :)*

Naaah. In my dreams maybe. I am not really a pool person, though it would be kind of fun to become one. I am a nice cozy library kind of girl. I'd love to have a room with floor to ceiling bookshelves, a nice heavy wooden desk, crinkled leather overstuffed furniture, a fireplace, an alcove and Ronald Colman to snuggle up with.

> And I didn't say I liked hothead Heston in the Wreck of the Mary Deare, I only said he was a riot - we really enjoyed watching him get smacked by big waves. :D

>

> *Oh! Thanks for the clearing that up. I thought you had been struck by lightning.*

Ha! Wait till you hear what I thought of *Will Penny!*

>I thought Gary really showed Chuck a thing or two about how to get the job done. It's a great one for talking back to the TV - "DON'T open that hatch"..... whoosh.....

>

> Gary comes out well? I'll hate it. Hitch needed to direct it!

No, I didn't say that! I said he showed Heston how to get the job done - he underacted him, which isn't hard - but it kept your eye on Gary, not Chuck. As a character Gary was far more fascinating, quiet and mysterious. Chuck kept doubting, he did his own thing, questioning everything and ended up disobeying orders! He was all over the place. He was a scream.

Oh my goodness! Hahahahahahahaha!!! You are so funny, Jackie! I love

your "movie" world, that would be so fun! And the grocery boy would be

Gary Cooper, the cop on the beat Vickie Mac....

I LOVE that cartoon clip!! "screw ball", haaaaa!!

*I think that's lovely, Spunky.*

This reminds me.....

I once rode a horse named Spunky.

My wife and I were staying at the Absaroka Mountain Lodge just outside the east entrance of Yellowstone about eight years ago, and they offered horseback rides. So we went!

Two rides, a morning ride with breakfast cooked over an open fire and a lunch time ride with lunch cooked also over an opened fire.

Well anyway, my horse was named Spunky and he was. Annie's horse's name was Sundance. Funny, Sundance did not look like Robert Redford.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> Oh my goodness! Hahahahahahahaha!!! You are so funny, Jackie! I love

> your "movie" world, that would be so fun! And the grocery boy would be

> Gary Cooper, the cop on the beat Vickie Mac....

>

> I LOVE that cartoon clip!! "screw ball", haaaaa!!

Oh, Lordy. I would have a hard time in my little dreamland - I'd have to have a new scenario every day -- one day I get to spend with Gary..... another I spend with Vic.... what terrible, wonderful choices!

Howdy, Cheap, Predictable Toastmaker :P -- But you may be right when it comes to my personal tastes (as far as movies especially) I likely do have more in common w/ my dad than my mom.

And you have more in common with guys than gals, at least with movies. You're going to roll your eyes with the femmy stuff just as much as a guy. You're not into female hysterics. That's not you. Where you are most female is family films. That's where you'll find "mom" with movies.

Maybe because when I was a kid... we watched what my dad watched. There WAS no other tv and no "videotape" to put in the vcr in some other room if we wanted to see something else, because they had not become the indespensable household items they would eventually became yet. (Oh.. and we were the "remote control" for my dad too. ha. As in: we had to get up and turn the channel when he wanted to change it, ha. OH those were the good old days, ha)

I'm old enough to have lived the "kids are the remote control" days and the "three good reception channel and six total channel" days.

I ended up a westerns and crime show junkie no doubt due to the influence of my dad.

I'm not sure how our interests really come to be. Some of it is family influence, some of it is peer influence, but a lot of it is us. Usually, girls who don't view themselves as "girly girl" tend to turn their noses up at that stuff and go elsewhere.

(but when it comes to the pro-sports stuff... meh, not for me ha. I used to get up and go read a book instead. ha.)

Blah!

I am also more like my dad when it comes to things I like (w/ regard to gifts, decor and fashion stuff) Maybe not totally... but I do lean more toward the "practical" and I feel like that is more from him. (I was the girl who REALLY wanted a toaster for my birthday one year... and MEANT it, ha. remember?) My mom is more "foo-foo" and I am more "function" ha. But don't get me wrong... I like "function... with lace" ha. I am not a total "guy's gal" ha.

That's what I've tapped into with you. Your saying you'd rather see historical sites and national parks is very "guy." And there is no way you are "foo foo." :D

Oh and FLOWERS and garden stuff are all from my mom. Love to look at them. Can't get enough of them.. ha. (but can't grow them worth anything, ha) And I LOVE a good romance.. that is all from my mom, for sure. So really I am a mix, ha. But maybe a "dad-leaning" mix of both my folks.

Ohhhh, you're still very much a woman in many ways. There's no doubting that. It's just you're the kind of gal who seems to be very comfortable with the masculine side of some things.

It really is NOT excitement to have your heart owned by someone who could crush it so easily simply by their absence if something were to ever happen to them.. UGH (now I not only sound boring.. ha. I am co-dependent HA!!)

:D No, I wouldn't call any of that "excitement." Did we have a discussion about a word like this before? But when you have a spouse and a child, there is always something going on. It may not be a PARADE, but it's a parade.

If by controlled arguing you mean intelligent and respectful debate.. you got me. ha. I don't like pointless shouting matches (with no real purpose) and I despise when people just talk trash meant to put others down, but I do love a good verbal "knock down drag out" so long as everyone agrees that we are all entitled to our own opinions and no one is "better" than anyone else.

You got it. That's what I was referring to. You're a debater. You like to speak your mind. You don't like to scream your mind. It's controlled.

You are a very good one for debating because even though we are nearly complete opposites in how we view a lot of issues (Mr. Grey) ha.. you NEVER hold it against me or judge me unfairly for disagreeing with you.

If I were to hold it against you, it would be shame on me.

And you REALLY keep me on my toes and make me think. It is not enough to say I like something (when you are around.) I have to know WHY I like it (or don't) and that is fun. (Oh golly.. now I am sounding nice again.. What's wrong with me... I need a tune up. ha.Let's talk Rip and Vance some more.. or how about the Oxbow???? ha)

:D Of those I talk to most frequently on the board, you are the one who enjoys the "whys" just as much as I do. It's your curious, investigative nature, Mrs. Marple. (I didn't say "nosey"!) In this area, you're almost always in the mood. Jackie is very moody when it comes to this. Sometimes she has a "headache." (It's usually me. :P ) Most people are like this, actually. Some are "kicking and screaming." They don't like to dig that deep, be it mentally or emotionally. Surface-level is so much easier. Jerry vs. Earl/Mae.

Interestingly, I think men and women are both very curious creatures. They both want to know what makes things tick. Women generally want to know how people tick, the most. You're in this boat.

I think you are describing him more or less how I am remembering. I wish I could remember more about their falling out (when he finally does "wake up" and realize things for what they are) Again, I am TOTALLY winging it here, but I think I remember him more or less making himself "willfully ignorant" of who she really was.. not really wanting to know anything about her outside of his own ideal of her for a large part of the movie. That is a sad way to live in a marriage. It IS good to have faith in the one you love.. but not "blind faith". You need to see the other person for who they really are.

Well, I do agree with you about how you should view the one you love. I've always thought the same. My country grandma is the opposite. She thinks her family is "all the same." We're not. No one is.

I think Jerry was all about purity in love. He didn't care about what Mae did before meeting him. He only cared about her with him. For a gal like Mae, that had to be very refreshing to hear. And I think Jerry meant it. He's very basic and simple. The more stuff you tell him, the more complicated it's going to be for him. He'd rather "not know." He lacks curiosity. To the "curious," this is absolutely maddening.

Ok.. first of all.. ha. "predictable" is another "ugly" word, ha. (at least for me) I like "reliable" better. You want to know that someone you love will react or behave a certain way not because they are "predictable" which to me sounds like they are stale and unimaginative.. but because they have a moral character which you have come to trust and you know you can rely on them. (that to me sounds more desirable) I know..ha.. picky, picky, picky. ha.

"Predictable" is more about the ability to predict how your QT is going to answer something or react to something. That's predictable. I'd say "reliable" is when something you don't know comes up and you can depend on your QT to be there for you.

Predictable can be very stale and unimaginative. You're right. Still, there's also great comfort in knowing someone that well. Mae finds "predictable" to be annoying.

And as for whether Mae will ever grow to accept Jerry and love him... that is harder for me to say not having watched the movie in so long. But I think it COULD be possible. Repentance is a funny thing.. if it is REAL, heart changing repentance... Mae could do a complete 180 and GLADLY cling to what she used to reject (because she now values it far above what she used to value) but if it is only a "guilty conscience" sort of repentance, and she is only going back to him because she feels guilty and just wishes she to not be "bad" any more... that sort of repenting does not always "stick" well... and may lead her to falter again. It is not as "sure" a change of heart.

I'm pretty sure it's the latter with Mae. Love and repentance don't mix with me. It's either present or it's not. I'm sure Mae could come to appreciate Jerry for who is if she changed her definition of love. But is that really love? I guess one can grow to love another. It's not impossible. It just seems forced, to me.

But again, I am totally shooting from the hip here, though. I just don't remember it all as well as I should to make a guess. So I guess what I am saying is maybe Mae can make a go of it.. if her heart really is in the change.

That's the hopeful thinking to the end of Clash by Night.

OH wowsa.. FOUR SONS is a NEW favorite for me.

Uh-oh. I'm worried. :P

I hope you will go into RamblesJR. and dust off our chat about it and add your own thoughts when you are finished. (it is not too buried, it is a fairly recent chat) I would really like to hear what you have to say on that one.

Once I finish it, I'll take a look at what was said.

And you crack me up w/ your statistics, ha. 31 Ford Films. I have NO idea how many of them I have seen. (I should sit down and count them, but I still be you have seen more than me, ha) You are the most organized film watcher I have ever seen. I love how you are able to pull out your lists and say _____ is my #___ favorite movie for any given actor or director.. or even genre. I can do pretty good w/ my top 3 or 4 in just about any of those categories.. but boy.. you know what you like. You are the numbers man. I am NOWHERE near that organized in my thinking. ha.

That's my sports fanaticism coming out. I love making lists. I also love reevaluating my opinions and feelings, especially with movies. I now keep my lists and look to update them after I watch a movie. This is also the "collector" in me. Baseball cards, don't you know.

Eww.. I am not a huge Burt person.. ha. I can really take him or leave him. I do like him in some films.. but usually NOT the ones where he is "way on" as you described. (I think I mentioned this in the Noir thread) But maybe Coop will make up for it, ha.

Burt will cause you to love Coop all the more. It's what I always say with me, I'm good for making all the other guys look so much better. And, yeah, Burt plays the "anti-Quiet Gal" guy.

I am with Jackie... we BOTH need to "man up" and watch this sometime, ha. I had already made up my mind to watch it (and just was too much of a wimp to stay awake, ha) Let's try again the next time it is on... I dare ya.. ha. I think I have really made up my mind to go ahead and see it. I just have to remember to keep my eye out for it. (maybe my secretaries will help, ha)

I have the DVD, I'm just not in the mood for that kind of film.

Of the Duke films you listed.... THE BIG TRAIL is a FABULOUS film. I heartily recommend it. It is a GREAT early Duke and you really get a good feel for the actor he will become someday.

It's the visuals that I'm really interested in with The Big Trail.

I have never been that big on El Dorado.. I think I did see it a LONG time ago, but for some reason can't remember that much about it.. and I have just sort of avoided it. (but not really sure why)

It sounds like you should watch it again. What I've seen of it, I haven't really liked. Wayne seems very old. But I've only seen about the first half hour.

Hatari is fun.. but you might not be that impressed. We LOVE it around here (even the kidling) You might like it (for the "Hawks" things in it). But for me, the story wasn't as good as a "usual" Hawks film.

I'm expecting "fluff," which is okay with me. So long as it's not McLintock! and Donovan's Reef fluff! I'm hoping Hawks saves me.

I am not sure, but I MAY have seen Wake of the Red Witch (but it was SO SO SO long ago I have little memory of it.. I just recall John Wayne under the water in one of those old fashioned diving suits)

I just want to watch Gail Russell. :)

(I am likely most interested in In Harm's Way, only because it is the one I have heard more about than the others.)

It's Otto Preminger that has me wanting to see the film.

So pick one and watch it.. and then let me know what you pick, and if I can catch it too... I will. And if not.. I will just "whine" about it, HA. Because you do know... ha. I am a whiner.. ha. I don't know WHERE I got that from.. ha. NEITHER my mom or my dad.. ha.. I must have gotten some sort of "mutant" whining gene in the family line from way back somewhere. ha.

But that's the point! I have no idea what you can watch! Geez, I feel like I'm dealing with Snippy. I need to watch some good film noir.

Sorry to be such a thread hog - but I want to say that I really bought Mae's change of heart at the end of the film. I totally think they will make it. I see them both going a new direction. I am very optimistic, and I don't know why, because usually those kinds of wrap ups bother me. I think it is Stanwyck herself that makes me so confident of the change in Mae. Her strength and different demeanor at the end really put it over for me. I saw a big change inside her, one that seemed real and lasting.

Good to see you, Rey -- This reminds me..... I once rode a horse named Spunky.

Well, the TCM "Spunky" is a wild horse. Good luck tossing a saddle on her and grabbing any kind of reins.

My wife and I were staying at the Absaroka Mountain Lodge just outside the east entrance of Yellowstone about eight years ago, and they offered horseback rides. So we went!

See, now this is excitement!

Two rides, a morning ride with breakfast cooked over an open fire and a lunch time ride with lunch cooked also over an opened fire.

Fantastic! I could go for some open-fire breakfast right about now.

Well anyway, my horse was named Spunky and he was. Annie's horse's name was Sundance. Funny, Sundance did not look like Robert Redford.

That was good! Who are those guys?