Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ROBERT RYAN - The Real Quiet Man

Good evening, Snippy -- Gee whiz, what do you call GILDA and CLASH BY NIGHT? You're too spoiled. You need to watch some Coop or Wayne....or Ford.

No, Evil Woman!

I said I'm "winging it" with Gilda and Clash by Night. I didn't just watch them! I need to watch Kiss Me Deadly. That's a film noir I'm very, very curious about.

Good evening, Spunky -- Sorry to be such a thread hog

I'm used to it. :P Who do you think has written the most on this thread? Besides, you've ruined my image of you!

but I want to say that I really bought Mae's change of heart at the end of the film. I totally think they will make it. I see them both going a new direction. I am very optimistic, and I don't know why, because usually those kinds of wrap ups bother me. I think it is Stanwyck herself that makes me so confident of the change in Mae. Her strength and different demeanor at the end really put it over for me. I saw a big change inside her, one that seemed real and lasting.

That's wonderful, Jackie. Usually, most look at such a woman with a cynical eye. I actually tend to lean your way, but I am a little skeptical. But where I'm betting on your side is the daughter, Gloria. I think Mae will become more and more attached to her. Her life will have real purpose and meaning. This will knock a lot of the "me" out of MaE. And I do think Mae will come to love and appreciate Jerry for the reasons she did in the first place. Crap, we're on the same side.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> I'm used to it. :P Who do you think has written the most on this thread? Besides, you've ruined my image of you!

You'll have to re-psychoanalyze me!

> but I want to say that I really bought Mae's change of heart at the end of the film.

>That's wonderful, Jackie. Usually, most look at such a woman with a cynical eye. I actually tend to lean your way, but I am a little skeptical. But where I'm betting on your side is the daughter, Gloria. I think Mae will become more and more attached to her. Her life will have real purpose and meaning. This will knock a lot of the "me" out of MaE. And I do think Mae will come to love and appreciate Jerry for the reasons she did in the first place. Crap, we're on the same side.

Oh no....

I am a nice cozy library kind of girl. I'd love to have a room with floor to ceiling bookshelves, a nice heavy wooden desk, crinkled leather overstuffed furniture, a fireplace, an alcove and Ronald Colman to snuggle up with.

What?! That ruined it for me! I want the wild horse that splashes in the pool! A library chick? Smithy?!

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> What?! That ruined it for me! I want the wild horse that splashes in the pool! A library chick? Smithy?!

Yes, that is the real me.

Tonight. :D

Of course, it may all change tomorrow.

Tomorrow I meet Roscoe for an ice cream sundae and a walk in the park.

>

> I said I'm "winging it" with Gilda and Clash by Night. I didn't just watch them! I need to watch Kiss Me Deadly. That's a film noir I'm very, very curious about.

>

If there was money in manufacturing excuses, you'd be Warren Buffet. Enjoy your Kiss and I really hope it's deadly. :P

Hey there, Boring Library Gal -- Yes, that is the real me. Tonight. :D

I'm feeling so down, now. :P

Of course, it may all change tomorrow. Tomorrow I meet Roscoe for an ice cream sundae and a walk in the park.

Watch your purse.

Hola, Deadly Viper -- If there was money in manufacturing excuses, you'd be Warren Buffet.

:D But I'm doing good!

Enjoy your Kiss and I really hope it's deadly.

I wouldn't expect anything less from you!

> Hola, Deadly Viper -- If there was money in manufacturing excuses, you'd be Warren Buffet.

>

> :D But I'm doing good!

>

At what?!

> Enjoy your Kiss and I really hope it's deadly.

>

> I wouldn't expect anything less from you!

Not from me, from Mike Hammer. He's your type! Crude!

Howdy, Cheap, Predictable Toastmaker

Oh brother, YOU are a laugh a minute, HA! Very funny. :P

You're going to roll your eyes with the femmy stuff just as much as a guy. You're not into female hysterics. That's not you. Where you are most female is family films.

Woops.. and you were so close, ha. You ALMOST had me pegged.. but you forgot ONE thing.. ha. I also mentioned that I DO love my romances too. ha. (OH give me a good Jane Austen ANY day, and I am there) I have a little "chick flick" in me from time to time, ha. It just depends on whether it is more about the story.. or more about the "foo-foo" stuff. ha. I absolutely hate a movie or story that is all "glorified" illicit relationships. But I like a good sweet romance tale, so long as it is told well.

I think what it boils down to the most is I like my characters and situations to be interesting and have some depth to them, whether they are solving a murder mystery.. roping a steer.. or telling that Mr. Darcy to go take a HIKE. ha. :D (OH gee... I need to find me a movie where they do all three. THEN I'd be ever so happy. HA!)

Of those I talk to most frequently on the board, you are the one who enjoys the "whys" just as much as I do. It's your curious, investigative nature, Mrs. Marple. (I didn't say "nosey"!)

Ha.. but I AM nosey.. ha. Sad but true. There is too much evidence against me to deny it, ha. I drive down the street and wonder what people are fixing for dinner.. ha. Or sometimes I will look at a house all decorated for Christmas and I wonder what sorts of Christmas gifts they have under their tree. OH and here is something REALLY gruesome..ha. I sometimes will walk through a cemetary and see a husband and wife tombstone.. and wonder what were they like? Were they happy? Did they have a good life? Did they teach their children to look both ways when they crossed the street? Inquiring minds wanna know! HA. (want to rethink that "your not "nosey" thing?? ha)

Women generally want to know how people tick, the most. You're in this boat

Well, I don't know if it is a "woman" thing or not. I just like to watch people.. and see who they are and what makes them tick. I think that is why I like those "psycho murderer true crime" things on some of those real dectictive cable shows. I want to hear what MADE that monster into a monster. What were the inner details of their mind that caused them to go nutso. Sometimes there is no answer... but it is an interesting study in human nature trying to find it all out. Oh good gravy.. look at me.. I am the thread hog.. sorry Miss G for rambling on and on in a non-rambles thread. ha.

I think Jerry was all about purity in love. He didn't care about what Mae did before meeting him. He only cared about her with him. For a gal like Mae, that had to be very refreshing to hear. And I think Jerry meant it. He's very basic and simple. The more stuff you tell him, the more complicated it's going to be for him. He'd rather "not know." He lacks curiosity.

I think sometimes people choose to be ignorant. And it is not like they DON'T know what is true about someone. (especially if it is someone they love) it is more like the refuse to know what is true about them. It is a self defense mechanism maybe.. but it really can cause a lot of hurt when the wool they have been keeping over their own eyes gets pulled off. Better to see someone for real... flaws and all. How can you ever really TRULY love someone that you refuse to let yourself know. If I am understanding you right (and remembering correctly) Jerry only loved his ideal of Mae... not the real woman she was.

Mae finds "predictable" to be annoying

No one wants to be in a "rut" emotionally... whether alone or with someone else. It sounds as if Mae was afraid of that aspect of predictability in her life. But she went about trying to solve the problem in a very selfish way.

I'm sure Mae could come to appreciate Jerry for who is if she changed her definition of love. But is that really love? I guess one can grow to love another. It's not impossible. It just seems forced, to me.

Ok.. get ready.. I am going to make you hurl..ha. YOU need to watch... a Jane Austen movie. HA!!! Marianne in Sense and Sensibility will make you rethink your whole idea abuot whether or nto someone can change their definition of love. EVERYTHING she despised about what some folks thought of as "proper" affection and love and companionship (and even dependability and perhaps "predictability) eventually becomes the thing she grows to embrace in someone she once held in GREAT disdain by the end of the story.Ok.. admittedly.. she was still perhaps TOO young as was clinging to childhood fantasies of love at the beginning... but still she does what I said earlier.. a complete 180 by the end of the story. (OH I absolutely love that part of the whole thing.. and she is not even the main character! ha) It is likely one of my all time favorite Austen's. (the version w/ Emma Thompson is my favorite for this story)

I have the DVD, I'm just not in the mood for that kind of film

Chicken.. bock, bock, bock.. HA! :P

RE: Four Sons

Once I finish it, I'll take a look at what was said

Goody. I am thinking you will like this movie. It really is an emotional story but VERY well told. It was a very welcome and unexpected surprise.

Re: Hatari

I'm expecting "fluff," which is okay with me. So long as it's not McLintock! and Donovan's Reef fluff! I'm hoping Hawks saves me

Ok.. I would say if you have to compare them.. it is maybe closer to Donovan's Reef, than McLintock.. but really not as far as the actual plot is concerned. Wayne is nice and "tough", Red Buttons is very entertaining.. the girl is gorgeous.. OH.. and there are some really cute baby elephants in it too. ha.

It's the visuals that I'm really interested in with The Big Trail

You will not be disappointed. It is a very well done film.

But that's the point! I have no idea what you can watch!

What about that one I mentioned that Jackie posted over in Westerns. Hell's Hinges. It is easy to watch because it is not very long and you don't even have to keep clicking on youtubes... it is all one link that plays for the whole film. I don't know if you would like it or not.. but it really was another very good and unexpected surprise for me.

I need to watch some good film noir

Hey.. I just remembered.. we NEVER got around to chatting on The Third Man... hmmmmm.

A rare film by Director Anthony Mann, Men in War, is on tomorrow night at 8 (Eastern).

I've never seen it and though I'm not a fan of war film, I am willing to watch this one on the

strength of the cast and director. Don't miss it if you're a fan, too.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> A rare film by Director Anthony Mann, Men in War, is on tomorrow night at 8 (Eastern).

> I've never seen it and though I'm not a fan of war film, I am willing to watch this one on the

> strength of the cast and director. Don't miss it if you're a fan, too.

MissG - this also has Aldo Ray, Vic Morrow and Robert Keith (Brian's dad). And music by Elmer Bernstein. I'll be there.

Did you get to watch "Men In War"? I think in this is his best "good buy" role. I know there aren't that many but he was terrific here. Overall I really liked it. I kept thinking I had seen it before. I remember the story line of the Colonel but I don't know if it was here or lifted to some TV show later.

We can talk more if you want.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> Did you get to watch "Men In War"? I think in this is his best "good buy" role. I know there aren't that many but he was terrific here. Overall I really liked it. I kept thinking I had seen it before. I remember the story line of the Colonel but I don't know if it was here or lifted to some TV show later.

>

> We can talk more if you want.

Howdy, movieman!

Yes, I was at a friend's house and we watched it with her son and really enjoyed it. What

was interesting was watching This is Korea afterward, and seeing how accurate Mann's

film was in all the details.

SPOILERS!!

The conflict between Ryan and Aldo Ray was fascinating. I think this is Aldo's best work,

he was terrific. I felt so bad for the Colonel (Robert Keith). He was great the way without

a word he expressed his inner torment. It's like you could see the horror of what he'd been

through in his eyes. I like the occasional humor, too, like when Ray went out there thinking

everyone else was dead and then he sees Ryan and says, "It would have to be you." ha!

I thought the part where the poor black soldier got bushwhacked was really sad. Everyone

did a great job. Nice seeing L.Q. Jones, too. I saw a couple of very "Fordian" shots, too.

All in all, for a war movie I liked it immensely. It was very well done.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Darn it! I missed it. When Alice stays up lately, I forget that 8 oclock has come and gone... I love Aldo Ray too.

I know you'd have been impressed. It's a very taught, tense film. Aldo is so real and he

shows his softer side with the Colonel.

Hiya Miss G...

I caught only portions of this film last night. We started watching it.. but stuff happens.. blah, blah blah. (ha) It was just one of those nights when we had a lot going on.. and the QT was in the mood to "surf" instead of just watch one thing... and I was so busy doing other stuff.. it wouldn't have mattered anyway... SO... I guess what I am saying is.. ha.. the channel go turned a lot, etc.. but we kept coming back to this movie from time to time here and there. And usually when we really stopped and watch was w/ scenes like you mention below:

The conflict between Ryan and Aldo Ray was fascinating. I think this is Aldo's best work,

he was terrific. I felt so bad for the Colonel (Robert Keith). He was great the way without

a word he expressed his inner torment.

The scenes that stood out for me the most (of the ones I watched) were between Ryan and Ray for sure. OH there was one moment.. when Ryan was telling Ray to do something and Ray was refusing.. .because he did not know who was going to care for the Colonel if he did... and OH the look on the poor man's face as he tried and tried to get the words out... inner torment is a great way to describe it.

I hope this comes on again sometime and I can try to sit still in one place long enough to give it the attention it deserves next time. (Did I mention.. stuff happens?) ha.

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> Hiya Miss G...

>

Howdy Mrs Nightingale!

>

> The scenes that stood out for me the most (of the ones I watched) were between Ryan and Ray for sure. OH there was one moment.. when Ryan was telling Ray to do something and Ray was refusing.. .because he did not know who was going to care for the Colonel if he did... and OH the look on the poor man's face as he tried and tried to get the words out... inner torment is a great way to describe it.

>

It's just such good filmmaking and acting when a man's eyes and gestures

can "tell" you the whole history of what he's been through. I missed the first

part of this movie, so I don't know if they actually showed what led Ray and his

Colonel to meet up, alone, with Ryan and his platoon. But I didn't need to see

it, I could tell by how Ray and his Colonel had bonded and the poor old man's

shattered state of mind. He couldn't even hold a cigarette.

> I hope this comes on again sometime and I can try to sit still in one place long enough to give it the attention it deserves next time. (Did I mention.. stuff happens?) ha.

I hope so, too, so you and Jackie can see what you think of it. Like I said,

I'm not really into war movies, but this one had me hooked with all the great

psychological angles.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> I just found it on Netflix. I put it in my neverending queue and bumped it up toward the top.

I didn't even know it was on DVD! That's terrific.

People today forget how popular Aldo Ray was in the 1950's.. Two of his first starring roles were for George Cukor in "The Marrying Kind" with Judy Holliday and "Pat and Mike" with Tracy and Hepburn .He worked twice with Robert Ryan in "Men in War" and God's Little Acre" George Cukor suggested he attend ballet school because he walked like a football player. Not sure if he did. He also appeared with Bogart, Rita Haywirth,John Wayne and Henry Fonda among others. Harry Cohn ,head of Columbia pictures had him under contract and wanted him for the role of Robert E. Lee Prewitt in "From Here to Eternity" , but director Fred Zinnerman won out and Montgomery Clift got the role.Remember Prewitt was suppose to be a boxer and Ray looked more like a fighter them Clift and that's what Cohn saw. In fact Cohn told Ray never to take acting lessons because he had a natural ability .

When I lived in Vallejo, Ca in the 1980's I use to see Ray at times, he had returned to Crockett,Ca ,which was right next door ,where he was from. I use to shoot a public affairs show then and the host tried to get Ray as a guest, but we were told if we wanted to interview him it had to be in the mornings, because after noon he was usually to well in his cups {boozed} to do any interviews..Sadly he died of throat cancer in the early 90's...

Edited by: fredbaetz on Jun 25, 2010 7:05 PM

Edited by: fredbaetz on Jun 25, 2010 7:15 PM

Edited by: fredbaetz on Jun 25, 2010 7:48 PM

That is so sad. I just love Aldo, but i must admit, I am a big fan of him in comedies mostly. I don't know his dramatic roles much, probably because he did a lot of war films. He always gets the job done.

Simply the way he says "I trew up" in *Pat and Mike* gives me the giggles for hours afterwards!

I also really like him in *We're No Angels*. He's such a big cutie pie. I watched *The Marrying Kind* last year on TCM for the first time, and Cohn was absolutely right - he had a great natural ability. I couldn't believe it was his first role.

You should see Aldo Ray in Miss Sadie Thomson. He's wonderful as

the big Marine gone goofy on Rita Hayworth. That was my first look at him

and I thought he was so believable.

I'm very sorry to read about how he ended up.