Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ROBERT RYAN - The Real Quiet Man

> Unfortunately, no to both. It's a minor work, but probably should be better known for the good cast and creepy premise.

>

Too bad, I'd like to see it.

>

> I've always liked Laraine, but as you know, Robert scares me, that face and, in your own words, "gimlet eyes", lol. He's handsome and so talented but I'm frightened all the time just looking at him, truly!

Ha! Oh, I know, I know! It took me years to get past that. He's a mean looking (and acting) customer. This movie is no exception, either, ha. He's on the surly side for 99% of it.

It's funny, Laraine and Ruth Hussey are two of my favorites, and they both seem to have the same costume problems. The trials of being a B movie actress, I guess. Maybe I just notice on these two because I like them. I never notice that Alexis Smith or Brenda Marshall is wearing some giant monstrosity on her shoulder.

MissG, unfortunately, it should be better known so that it can be avoided. Of the many movies I've watched in the past week, it's No. 1 is the "Greatest Disappointment" category.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> > Unfortunately, no to both. It's a minor work, but probably should be better known for the good cast and creepy premise.

> >

> Too bad, I'd like to see it.

Laraine's and Lew's birthdays are coming up in October and December respectively, so who knows, TCM just may run it again.

> >

> > I've always liked Laraine, but as you know, Robert scares me, that face and, in your own words, "gimlet eyes", lol. He's handsome and so talented but I'm frightened all the time just looking at him, truly!

>

> Ha! Oh, I know, I know! It took me years to get past that. He's a mean looking (and acting) customer. This movie is no exception, either, ha. He's on the surly side for 99% of it.

What do they call it, when a person is afraid of flying and has to slowly be re-programmed to not fear airplanes? This is the way I feel about Robert. I need to see him in something David Lean-ish, you know, like another tough guy, Bob Mitchum, in RYAN'S DAUGHTER, complete with glasses and a cardigan. There must be a role where Ryan is professorial, intellect4ual, with a bow-tie and a tweed jacket. That would definitely help me out.

>

> What do they call it, when a person is afraid of flying and has to slowly be re-programmed to not fear airplanes? This is the way I feel about Robert. I need to see him in something David Lean-ish, you know, like another tough guy, Bob Mitchum, in RYAN'S DAUGHTER, complete with glasses and a cardigan. There must be a role where Ryan is professorial, intellect4ual, with a bow-tie and a tweed jacket. That would definitely help me out.

The closest fit for that would be About Mrs Leslie. He's bookish, quiet and rather sweet in that one. I can't remember if you said you'd seen it before or not. It's more Shirley Booth's movie, but I keep clamoring for TCM to show it so people can get a view of the softer side of Robert. :)

He's also quiet and a good guy in The Professionals and The Wild Bunch, but everyone else is so gun-ho and the movies so violent, I'm afraid it's easy to lose sight of that. :D

*The Wild Bunch* was what made me first like Ryan. I had identical feelings about him - I thought he was too scary for words. But in TWB, he looked different, first of all.... older, more human. He gave a terrifically sad and beautiful performance. Unfortunately, he is not in the movie for very much screen time.

The first exposures I had to Ryan, that I recall, were "The Dirty Dozen" and "The Battle of The Bulge." I remember him there as mean and a bit thick. So my idea of him did not get off to a good start. I was young enough to not really appreciate him and it took some time to see how good he was. Though to my mind he played mean more often I came to appreciate his talent and it made his "good" roles more of a surprise.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> He sang too??? Is there anything he couldn't do?

>

That I want to hear to believe. I wonder if he was ever recorded.

> Arlene was quite the wit.....

I about fell out of my chair at one of her comments. :D

Harry looked sooooooooooooo young!

> > {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> > He sang too??? Is there anything he couldn't do?

> >

>

> *That I want to hear to believe. I wonder if he was ever recorded.*

It would be a shame if they didn't.

> > Arlene was quite the wit.....

>

> *I about fell out of my chair at one of her comments. :D*

Me too!

> *Harry looked sooooooooooooo young!*

was this before Odds Against Tomorrow? I am thinking it was after, but Harry looks like he's ten..... talk about gorgeous.

> >

> > What do they call it, when a person is afraid of flying and has to slowly be re-programmed to not fear airplanes? This is the way I feel about Robert. I need to see him in something David Lean-ish, you know, like another tough guy, Bob Mitchum, in RYAN'S DAUGHTER, complete with glasses and a cardigan. There must be a role where Ryan is professorial, intellect4ual, with a bow-tie and a tweed jacket. That would definitely help me out.

>

> The closest fit for that would be About Mrs Leslie. He's bookish, quiet and rather sweet in that one. I can't remember if you said you'd seen it before or not. It's more Shirley Booth's movie, but I keep clamoring for TCM to show it so people can get a view of the softer side of Robert. :)

Oh, yes, I've seen ABOUT MRS. LESLIE, but always thought Robert and Shirley were such an odd pair! He was a businessman, but had a brooding quality which disturbed me, lol. It's not that I thought he would have thrown Booth down the stairs if she rejected his offer, mind you.

>

> He's also quiet and a good guy in The Professionals and The Wild Bunch, but everyone else is so gun-ho and the movies so violent, I'm afraid it's easy to lose sight of that. :D

I'll check those out. I'm desperate to connect with Robert so I can look him in the eyes!

> Oh, yes, I've seen ABOUT MRS. LESLIE, but always thought Robert and Shirley were such an odd pair! He was a businessman, but had a brooding quality which disturbed me, lol. It's not that I thought he would have thrown Booth down the stairs if she rejected his offer, mind you.

>

Hahahaaa! You are right, he is brooding in that movie. The perfect word. But Shirley brings him out of his shell and that's the beauty of their relationship. I think he has too little screen time, though. There are lots of scenes of Shirley at her nightclubs (she plays a singer) and with the bratty teenage girl she sort of keeps an eye on. I wanted less of that and more of her and Ryan. The oddness of the pairing made it fascinating to me.

> I'll check those out. I'm desperate to connect with Robert so I can look him in the eyes!

Maybe you'd have connected if you could have seen him as I did in my DREAMS last night! Ahh...I finally lassoed him into one of my dreams. It was just a brief appearance, we were passing each other on the stairs, but it was long enough for me to say "Hello, gorgeous!" and for him to turn and smile.

h1.

_MissG_ asked: *Chio: I forgot to ask if Mr. Ryan's daughter had any connection or involvement in the upcoming classes about her father?*

No...but I am crass enough to relay some of Mook's observations and memories when appropriate.

Last night we watched The Set-Up (Ryan's favorite of his movies). Wow!!! How is it that with certain movies one can love it on first viewing, and then with each successive viewing it gets better and little things (perhaps obvious to others) suddenly leap out. The big "new" moment for me last night was:

With almost every scene of the area outside the arena, one sees the neon "DREAMLAND" sign. Yes, the irony of that sign and many others is obvious. But...after Stoker's hand is crushed and he is stumbling out of the alley, there's a shot of him in the background and the sign in the foreground. You see the edge of the "D" of the side of the sign facing away from the camera and the "land" is cut off of the sign facing the camera, so it looks like --- "I DREAM".

Gracious.

Did I post this link before? If so, sorry, but here it is again.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/film-noir-icon-robert-ryan-his-chicago-childhood-the-ryan-construction-fire/Content?oid=1223003

Thanks for the info on Ryan I loved the actor but I can see being the quiet man that he was being famous was not inportant for him just acting. I think maybe that is why some see him in a pic and are not sure of his name. I confess I have just discovered him myself after watching years of him in pics. But when he's on the screen you know it and watch all his moves. I will read the article about him and thank you for posting it, sounds very interesting.

>

> No...but I am crass enough to relay some of Mook's observations and memories when appropriate.

>

Then bring on the crassness.

> Last night we watched The Set-Up (Ryan's favorite of his movies). Wow!!! How is it that with certain movies one can love it on first viewing, and then with each successive viewing it gets better and little things (perhaps obvious to others) suddenly leap out.

That is one of the greatest pleasures of movie watching.

>

> With almost every scene of the area outside the arena, one sees the neon "DREAMLAND" sign. Yes, the irony of that sign and many others is obvious. But...after Stoker's hand is crushed and he is stumbling out of the alley, there's a shot of him in the background and the sign in the foreground. You see the edge of the "D" of the side of the sign facing away from the camera and the "land" is cut off of the sign facing the camera, so it looks like --- "I DREAM".

>

Oh how wonderful...I need to see that again. It makes the ending even MORE poignant.

>

> Did I post this link before? If so, sorry, but here it is again.

> http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/film-noir-icon-robert-ryan-his-chicago-childhood-the-ryan-construction-fire/Content?oid=1223003

It's a GREAT article, I'm glad you posted it again. It really filled in a lot of blanks about the man, to learn about the quiet man's background.

Oh my gosh, MissG!

There is a new Robert Ryan tribute on TCM (at least I think it's new) with Ernest Borgnine narrating.... I've seen it twice so far. I know you aren't watching your favorite, WB, today, but I thought you would want to know about the RR interstitial.

I was at the table last night when it caught me by surprise - I happened to notice it when I heard Ryan's name while we were eating...... so I looked over at the TV in the living room, and sure enough, it was another one of those wonderful tributes TCM does. Alice even recognized Ernie Borgnine's voice. By the end I was crying right there over my dinner plate... and then she laughed at me, as usual.

It really choked me up.

Is it one where he talks about Bad Day at Black Rock? I think I've seen it unless he recorded another one. It's terrific. You mean to say Alice recognized Ernie?! Wow!! I am truly impressed with that young lady. Someone must be raising her right. :)

>*Someone must be raising her right. :)*

Naaahh, that's not it :D .

She recognized his voice from Spongebob. He plays Mermaid Man.

It is the one that starts with Bad Day. I'm disappointed, I thought it was a new interstitial. Oh well. I guess I should be glad there's an old one.

Edited by: JackFavell on Aug 9, 2010 6:12 PM

> Naaahh, that's not it :D .

>

> She recognized his voice from Spongebob. He plays Mermaid Man.

>

That shows how out of touch I am with the latest cartoon stars! Though Sponge Bob's been around a while I think. It's good to know Ernie has such a study job!

> It is the one that starts with Bad Day. I'm disappointed, I thought it was a new interstitial. Oh well. I guess I should be glad there's an old one.

>

It's a wonderful one! In fact, I think it would be cool if TCM packaged these interstitials up online or on a DVD. I look forward to them, even if they are about those I'm not crazy about.

I love the one about Hitch, it's pretty old but Jane Wyman is just delightful talking about him. When I saw it I immediately knew I liked this woman. :) I also love the one Maria does about her father, Coop, and the one on Grace Kelly by her son, the prince, made me tear up.

I think TCM ought to initiate more rounds of the "Fan Perspectives", specific to one star or director, done by members of the TCM audience/community. Let there be some sort of contest or lottery, and choose several of the best each year. Similar to what they've done recently only as a more regular thing.

You of course, will do one on Ben.

I just saw the Robert Ryan tribute tonight, very nicely done by Mr Borgnine. Ernie is really a very special guy, someday there will be a tribute to him I'm sure ( but not for a long while I hope). I would like to see him again on TCM with Robert Osborne, let Ernie pick a night of movies. I'll watch, if only to hear his commentaries.

> > Oh, yes, I've seen ABOUT MRS. LESLIE, but always thought Robert and Shirley were such an odd pair! He was a businessman, but had a brooding quality which disturbed me, lol. It's not that I thought he would have thrown Booth down the stairs if she rejected his offer, mind you.

> >

>

> Hahahaaa! You are right, he is brooding in that movie. The perfect word. But Shirley brings him out of his shell and that's the beauty of their relationship. I think he has too little screen time, though. There are lots of scenes of Shirley at her nightclubs (she plays a singer) and with the bratty teenage girl she sort of keeps an eye on. I wanted less of that and more of her and Ryan. The oddness of the pairing made it fascinating to me.

I had always assumed their relationship was platonic, but I guess not.

(although she always called him "Mr. Leslie, honey")

It was a treat to see a woman of a certain age and appearance being attractive to someone who looked like Robert Ryan.

>

> > I'll check those out. I'm desperate to connect with Robert so I can look him in the eyes!

>

> Maybe you'd have connected if you could have seen him as I did in my DREAMS last night! Ahh...I finally lassoed him into one of my dreams. It was just a brief appearance, we were passing each other on the stairs, but it was long enough for me to say "Hello, gorgeous!" and for him to turn and smile.

>

> h1.

Ooooh, what a dream! When Robert smiled, it was like angels reigned down on anyone looking at him, because he wasn't "generous" with that smile, only to those he deemed worthy. I'm so looking forward to watching at least a few of his SUTS movies but I think I'll pass on BILLY BUDD because Bob as the evil Claggart doesn't do much smiling as I recall, escept to torment poor Billy.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Aug 10, 2010 9:53 PM

I had always assumed their relationship was platonic, but I guess not.

(although she always called him "Mr. Leslie, honey")

It started that way, and it was funny she would call him that, but I think they were having a real affair. It's difficult to say, it's so discreet.

It was a treat to see a woman of a certain age and appearance being attractive to someone who looked like Robert Ryan.

Yes, it was very unusual.

Ooooh, what a dream! When Robert smiled, it was like angels reigned down on anyone looking at him, because he wasn't "generous" with that smile, only to those he deemed worthy. I'm so looking forward to watching at least a few of his SOTM movies but I think I'll pass on BILLY BUDD because Bob as the evil Claggart doesn't do much smiling as I recall, escept to torment poor Billy.

I have never been able to finish watching billy budd.

rryan-checkshirt.jpg