Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ROBERT RYAN - The Real Quiet Man

MissGoddess

Oh what a simply GORGEOUS photo of Bob, Goddess! That's what I'm talkin' about! Ahhhh! Thank you!

BILLY BUDD is hard to watch, I always get queasy with shipboard tyrant movies. There are always savage lashings, rotting meat and cheese for the abused crew, and other disgusting things going on.

> BILLY BUDD is hard to watch, I always get queasy with shipboard tyrant movies. There are always savage lashings, rotting meat and cheese for the abused crew, and other disgusting things going on.

So do I. And it's funny, because I'm in love with the sea and ships and things like that. But most shipboard movies are dull or turgid to me.

I saw a play version of Billy Budd once. It was interminable.

I thought maybe RR would make things spicier.

I just watched Andy Griffith in the last half hour of *Onionhead*. It is a shipboard .....something or other -- dromedy? Apparently, Walter Matthau was in it but I missed him. One good thing about Matthau's SUTS day, you get Andy Griffith as well. Unfortunately, Onionhead was no *Face in the Crowd.* But Andy was still fun to watch.

You are so right about Robert Ryan's smile - it's like sunbeams after a rainstorm.

A few things I noticed from the interstitial that has been playing:

Ryan looks so scorching hot in a military uniform I find it hard to even look at him when those scenes come on. It's embarrassing! This makes me eager to see his gorgeous self in Flying Leathernecks and Men in War coming up on Friday. I hope I don't need to avert my eyes through both of those movies....

hmmmmm. well, I guess that's all I noticed during the interstitial. I thought there was more, but it has been completely obliterated by the thought of Ryan in that open collared uniform. :D

Oh, yes! I still see those scenes from *The Wild Bunch* and want to cry, Ryan is so wonderful. I have no idea why his impact in that movie was so strong on me, but he is different in that movie than any other I can remember seeing him in. Ryan was always an odd mix, but in this film, he is warm, and very human, and ends up being very compassionate. I love watching his scenes separately, picked out of the harshness of the movie, because he is so completely the soft heart that Peckinpah wanted to show and also to hide.

"...I love watching his scenes separately, picked out of the harshness of the movie, because he is so completely the soft heart that Peckinpah wanted to show and also to hide."

Whew! You wrote a blazing sentence here J.F. Nice! Now, don't avert your eyes on Friday. Why miss out on a good thing.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> robertsmiling.jpg

> rryan-1.jpg

> rryan-sepia.jpg

> rryan-smiling.jpg

> rryan1-1.jpg

> rryancutiepie.jpg

> rryansmiling.jpg

> ryanindexpic0.jpg

Oh....my.....goodness!!!! I'm getting less afraid every minute, THANK YOU, Miss G.!!!

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> I saw a play version of Billy Budd once. It was interminable.

>

> I thought maybe RR would make things spicier.

>

I couldn't even get as far as Robbie's appearance in the film!

> I just watched Andy Griffith in the last half hour of *Onionhead*. It is a shipboard .....something or other -- dromedy? Apparently, Walter Matthau was in it but I missed him. One good thing about Matthau's SUTS day, you get Andy Griffith as well. Unfortunately, Onionhead was no *Face in the Crowd.* But Andy was still fun to watch.

>

oh my goodness! I woke up to this movie at about the same point. I was still bleary eyed, but I swore that guy I was seeing was Andy Griffith. I figured it must have been *No Time For Sergeants* since he was in uniform. Then I saw the title; I had never heard of it before. Now at least I know I wasn't hallucinating and really was Andy. :D

> Ryan looks so scorching hot in a military uniform I find it hard to even look at him when those scenes come on. It's embarrassing! This makes me eager to see his gorgeous self in Flying Leathernecks and Men in War coming up on Friday. I hope I don't need to avert my eyes through both of those movies....

>

> hmmmmm. well, I guess that's all I noticed during the interstitial. I thought there was more, but it has been completely obliterated by the thought of Ryan in that open collared uniform. :D

>

Ha! Yes, he looked pretty sharp. I have a weakness for men in uniform.

> Oh, yes! I still see those scenes from *The Wild Bunch* and want to cry, Ryan is so wonderful. I have no idea why his impact in that movie was so strong on me, but he is different in that movie than any other I can remember seeing him in. Ryan was always an odd mix, but in this film, he is warm, and very human, and ends up being very compassionate. I love watching his scenes separately, picked out of the harshness of the movie, because he is so completely the soft heart that Peckinpah wanted to show and also to hide.

That was beautiful. Without Ryan, this movie would be sooooooo hard to take in terms of its unrelenting toughness. I say that while loving the rest of the cast, including Ben of course. :D

I wish you could see it on the big screen. That is what turned around my thinking and made me appreciate the film better.

OH, Lordy! I've been blinded by Robert Ryan in *Flying Leathernecks.*

Did I say he looks scorchingly HOT in that uniform? That was an UNDERSTATEMENT. And he's not even my man.

Holy cow. I'm beginning to see his charms.

He was beautiful in *Trail Street*, loud tie and all.

Randy was no slouch either. Was there ever a more rugged, taut jawline? And they didn't have Botox back then.

I'm watching *Flying Leathernecks* as I write and quite agree about the man in the uniform! :D And he plays a really nice guy. What heaven. :x What a wonderful day! All Robbie-Round-the-Clock!

I saw it a few months ago. (Good film too.) I participated in the "Ramble." If anyone wants that conversation can certainly be resurrected. There is always room for a new perspective.

Sometimes I can go home just because I want to. Unfortunately, today wasn't one of them. I hope you enjoy it.

I managed to stay up and watch Billy Budd I liked it especially Terence Stamp he was great as Billy, acturally I like his performance better than Roberts but that not taking anything away from Ryan he was good also he didn't overplay his part which I really liked. What a treat watching his movies all day, now to get out and do some walking before I get stuck to the couch.

Insomnia allowed me to catch "The Outfit." It hardly qualifies as a Ryan film as he is only in three or four scenes. It's odd and little bit confusing. I think they were going for a noir feel because it had small roles for Marie Windsor, Jane Greer, Richard Jaekel and Ryan but small is the operative word.

Robert Duvall and Joe Don Baker play a couple of robbers whose job it is to steal money and get back at the mob.

Not great. If you catch it, fine. Don't knock yourself out looking for it.

I didn't get to see either *Billy Budd* or *The Outfit*. I conked out and missed the beginning of *The Wild Bunch* but taped what I could, starting after the men ride out of town. I guess it's time to ask for the dvd for Christmas - Can somebody refresh my memory as to which dvd is the best one? I think I remember it is the two disc original director's cut, but I am not sure.

I also missed *Men in War* - the one I really wanted to see. :(

On the good side, I caught *Crossfire* for the first time, even though I had recorded it before. It was excellent. *Trail Street* was great, I enjoyed it immensely, and Ryan was such a sweetheart of a hero.

I can't bear movies like *God's Little Acre*, but Ryan was very good for the small part I saw. He did a great job, considering the hick hillbilly material, which I hate.

The few parts of *Captain Nemo* that I saw actually looked great! Ryan looked spectacular in his shiny coat and I really enjoyed his scenes.

Best of all was watching *The Set-Up* again after a break of a few months. Oh, they should have called it *Kings and Angels* - I kept finding more and more symbolic stuff in it - Audrey is an angel of sorts, a tarnished one, to borrow some TCM terminology, but still an angel, and Ryan is the King - deluded by his dreams of a world at his feet. And yet, he is SO VERY GOOD that you really believe in HIS dream, whereas with some of the other men, like Gunboat, you totally know they have taken one punch too many to the head. Ryan is so strong - He will not give in, go down, even when he is brilliantly protraying the exhaustion of Stoker in the ring.... I love the fight scenes, they are more and more brutal as the fight goes on, with sweat and blood flying toward the camera. I am amazed when the announcer says that the fight only lasts 4 rounds because it feels like forever.

The claw machine really stood out to me this time as a metaphor for the whole milieu. I still feel the relationship to the Val Lewton films here in the downward spiral of the story and the way the movie gets literally darker and darker. Last time, my eye was on the clock, and on George Tobias. This time Percy Helton really wowed me. There is not a person in this cast who does not give a flawless performance, all led by the magnificent Ryan who plays every nuance and thought as if he really was Stoker Thompson. When Robert Osborne said that Ryan was born to play this part, he was not kidding around. In fact, it seems to me that if Ryan was not available the whole project would have folded.

"Get your Knockout here"

Photobucket

The King:

Photobucket

of all he surveys:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Check out these twin shots:

Photobucket

Photobucket

The Angel:

Photobucket

Jacks,

You want the Director's Cut of *The Bunch*. It came out on blu-ray last year in a two disc set on blu last year and I think it is available in regular DVD that way, too.

The Director's Cut has the many missing scenes that were cut after it's initial release. For all of the gnashing of teeth about the violence in the film when it was released, when Warners pulled it and brought it back in for editing, what they cut were the flashback scenes which explained the relationship between Deke and Pike. Without those scenes, viewers were left wondering why Pike and Deke had a falling out and what caused it.

The bonus features are pretty cool, too!

Thanks, Lz! Your input is extremely helpful, cause I know you KNOW. :D

I thought the one I wanted was the Two Disc Director's Cut, but there are so many versions out now, it's hard to tell. There is a Peckinpah Collection, an Original Director's Cut, a TWO-Disc Original DIrector's Cut........ I researched it about a year ago, but simply forgot what I wanted, with all the choices available.

Great! Thanks again, lz.

I think that same version is in the Legendary Westerns Collection too....now i have to decide if I want to spend 28 dollars on four movies, one of which I already have recorded, or 9.99 for just the one movie.

sigh

It's never easy.

I was really struck at how beautiful TWB looked last night.... and I loved the crossfade between Deke and Pike during their mutual flashback.

Between this one and The Set-Up, I am beginning to think that the second viewing is the best when watching a movie. You remember all the things that struck you the first time, but get added nuance and deeper perspective.

binary.jpg

Robert3Magnum.jpg

Saw THE SET-UP for the first time and it really knocked me out (sorry).

A great noir, Expressionistic, nightmarish, the underbelly of the American Dream, you're rooting for the underdogs trying to be "winners" in the Locker Room Of Life (another apology), I could smell the sweat (particularly off Wallace Ford for some reason, as he's reading his pulp romances, lol) All the ironic, mocking neon signs: Paradise, Dreamland, Cozy, etc. Robert Ryan was so good, oh, my! Like every great actor, he displays economy of style, with such subtle shifts of emotion across his normally opaque face. Frankly at first I thought, this role could have been played by Burt Lancaster, John Garfield, or Kirk Douglas, then realized that nobody else but Ryan could have really convinced us of his quietly grim determination to keep standing tall in a dark, seedy, hopeless world. It's a performance of great depth and sympathy.

I re-saw BILLY BUDD after many years, and Ryan still manages to scare the blazes out of me. Truly Satanic. He and Terence Stamp are superb. What fascinating Melville adversaries.

I don't know what I expected in THE BOY WITH GREEN HAIR, but certainly not Bob as a milkshake drinking psychologist, lol. What a thankless part; he's only on screen for what? less than 10 minutes?

I loved Pat O'Brien as the very Irish uncle, although he seemed to be playing Charles Winninger. I didn't feel the story successfully meshed the fantasy elements with it's anti-war theme very deftly, if at all. What could have been haunting, poignant, and memorable, was just a wash-out for me, with very little resonance.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Aug 14, 2010 10:22 PM

The bonus features on the two disc set of the *The Bunch* are really, really good. Especially the *The Wild Bunch: An Album in Montage* has black and white footage of the film being made. You know how good Ben looks in black and white.

And I agree about the print last night, it was beautiful. I love Lucien Ballard's work on this film. The smoke in the background on many of the scenes in Agua Verde really comes across, especially in the scene when the Bunch leaves.

I love Robert Ryan in this film. His Deke Thorton is so world weary and harnessed with a less than incompetent crew that his frustration is written across his face.

He was up against two major scene stealers, LQ Jones and Strother Martin ("You're nothing but a redwood peckerwood" and "Help me get his boots, TC") and yet you never take your eyes off Ryan.

Boy that is the truth! They fall away completely when on the screen with Ryan. They seem like tiny twittering birds far away in the background. He's right - they aren't men, they don't even know when they are in the company of one.

Oooh, Bronxie, he was such a beautiful boy!

Archived