Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ROBERT RYAN - The Real Quiet Man

MissGoddess

> Oooh, Bronxie, he was such a beautiful boy!

And you can tell it's him! When I look into that sweet little boy face, I see Claggert! Eeeeeeek!!!

Oh my goodness, look at little "Buster Brown", ha haaa! What adorable pictures! Thanks so much for posting them, Bronxie. You're right, he DOES look like himself already----there's a firm, almost stubborn set to his face that seems to say "if you make one crack about my hat I'm gonna deck you."

Loved your words about The Set-Up. A great film about frustrated dreams and failure. The movie is really depressing until you focus on the realization that it's who's in your corner, and not whether you "get to the top" that makes for happiness. Stoker thinks he has to be on top to be happy and make his wife happy, and he's not the only one. They all are chasing the same dream and look at them. Nothing to envy of even the most successful. On top of what? That bloodthristy crowd out there watching? I thought the spectators were ten times more pitiful and scary than the racketeer goons.

Jackie---your depiction of "Kings and Angels" was brilliant. I loved the "monarch of all he surveys". And he really thinks that way...that he's just "one punch away" from being a king in his angel's eyes. The movie really does turn up a lot on repeat viewings.

That publicity photo is amazing!

Oh, I missed your reviews, Bronxie!

The Set-Up was just as good, if not better the second time around for me. And yes, Wallace Ford was funny, sweaty, and terrifying all at once. I swear, you can't help but fixate on his armpits. Ewwww!

Photobucket

I think you hit on it, Bronxie and Goddess - There is something Shakespearean about this movie, or at least in Ryan's portrayal of Stoker Thompson. Othello? Partly. Part Lear.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

"Everybody makes book on something....."

Stoker makes book on his angel.

Photobucket

Nice to see Bernard Gorcey here.

Photobucket

The Pretender to the throne (and yet, he's looking UP at Stoker):

Photobucket

I could not get the quick cut from Ryan's face superimposed on this "kingly" street sign:

Photobucket

The Claw:

Photobucket

Photobucket

But they keep trying:

Photobucket

Edited by: JackFavell on Aug 15, 2010 10:40 AM

Super screencaps, Jackie! I never caught the sign that said "Kings". So much in that small set. I love the "claw machine" metaphor, too. Everyone's clawing their way to the top, to get some dream, and they don't care who they step on the way, either. The Jet Blue flight attendant should watch this movie.

c21de: That photo with Laraine Day....oh my goodness...I am so ENVIOUS of Laraine! I'd love to be just where she is. :D And I'd deliberately flub the picture so we'd have to hold it for hours... :D

SONNET #29

...Haply I think on thee, and then my state,

Like to the lark at break of day arising

From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;

For thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings

That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

Robert Ryan :x We see and read many names on many lists before his name appears. But isn't he really one of the underrated giants of Hollywood.

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> SONNET #29

>

> ...Haply I think on thee, and then my state,

> Like to the lark at break of day arising

> From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;

> For thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings

> That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

>

> Robert Ryan :x We see and read many names on many lists before his name appears. But isn't he really one of the underrated giants of Hollywood.

:0 I'm speechless. That was beautiful...but beautiful.

To be in Laraine Day's place, I'd scorn to change my state with kings.

>

> Oh, I missed your reviews, Bronxie!

>

> The Set-Up was just as good, if not better the second time around for me. And yes, Wallace Ford was funny, sweaty, and terrifying all at once. I swear, you can't help but fixate on his armpits. Ewwww!

>

> Photobucket

Wow, Jackie, those screecaps!! And thank you for uploading Wallace Ford, LOL. I didn't realize just how desperate the expression in his eyes looked, ha! I'm thinking perhaps he has a harridan wife at home, who looks like Hope Emerson, or maybe he really is single but married to his eternal job of patching up those endless stream of guys looking to grab the brass ring. I share your ewww-ness of his fair-haired pits, but at least they weren't Percy Helton's. Somehow with Ford, his physique lends itself to a locker room, the barrel chest, large stomach, and he seems born in an undershirt.

I appreciated the claw symbolism, too, and thought it maybe could have also represented Ryan's hands, or, hand.

Could you upload a shot of the "Over 35?" sign?

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Aug 16, 2010 6:20 PM

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> Oh my goodness, look at little "Buster Brown", ha haaa! What adorable pictures! Thanks so much for posting them, Bronxie. You're right, he DOES look like himself already----there's a firm, almost stubborn set to his face that seems to say "if you make one crack about my hat I'm gonna deck you."

Oh, you're welcome. Ha! The bottom one on the steps, you can really see his distinctive cheekbones, which figure so prominently for me, along with the gimlet eyes, in creating a sinister appearance at certain times, but definitely not in THE SET-UP. I just wanted to take him in my arms (go away, Audrey, he's mine!) and tell him everything was going to be just fine.

>

> Loved your words about The Set-Up. A great film about frustrated dreams and failure. The movie is really depressing until you focus on the realization that it's who's in your corner, and not whether you "get to the top" that makes for happiness. Stoker thinks he has to be on top to be happy and make his wife happy, and he's not the only one. They all are chasing the same dream and look at them. Nothing to envy of even the most successful. On top of what? That bloodthristy crowd out there watching? I thought the spectators were ten times more pitiful and scary than the racketeer goons.

Much thanks again, Miss G. Those spectators remind me of the crowds we're always shown in ancient Roman epics, watching gladiator fights and martyrs thrown to the animals, and they really get carried away, you know, "I lost my bet! Quintillus only got HALF-eaten by the tiger!" Or,

"That's no fight, he's still alive!"

Nero: "I lost my bet! Quintillus only got HALF-eaten by the tiger!"

Caligula: "That's no fight, he's still alive!"

OMG! OMG! You must write a book. Please. Write your ruminations on film. They're a riot. Really.

P.S.You might get Robbie from Audrey, but you'll never get him from Miss G.

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Nero: "I lost my bet! Quintillus only got HALF-eaten by the tiger!"

>

> Caligula: "That's no fight, he's still alive!"

>

> OMG! OMG! You must write a book. Please. Write your ruminations on film. They're a riot. Really.

I second that! You are the only one who could make that jump to Roman Coliseum movies - but it's so wonderfully true!

> P.S.You might get Robbie from Audrey, but you'll never get him from Miss G.

Ha ha! That made me laugh. Ain't it the truth!

I missed that "Over thirty five?" somehow the first time through - Grimesy had to point it out to me. I will try to get a cap of it, but my dvd does not like to play in this computer- there is one from Grimes back a ways in this thread or maybe the Noir thread.... meanwhile I'll try to get another cap from this wonky disc.

Bronxgirl writes: "I lost my bet! Quintillus only got HALF-eaten by the tiger!" "That's no fight, he's still alive!"

CineMaven writes: "OMG! OMG! You must write a book. Please. Write your ruminations on film. They're a riot. Really."

JackFavell writes: "I second that! You are the only one who could make that jump to Roman Coliseum movies - but it's so wonderfully true!"

Ya see Bronxie...it's unanimous. You MUST write a book and you must call it:

"THE RUMINATIONS AND RUINATION OF CLASSIC FILMS"

by the Bronxgirl of Boca Raton

Unless they think it is an Yma Sumac movie...I can see your royalties pouring in.

Start writing. Send us the first chapter by this weekend. Oooooh, I can't wait to read it.

> I missed that "Over thirty five?" somehow the first time through - Grimesy had to point it out to me. I will try to get a cap of it, but my dvd does not like to play in this computer- there is one from Grimes back a ways in this thread or maybe the Noir thread.... meanwhile I'll try to get another cap from this wonky disc.

That's because your dvd senses that PROTEUS is in your computer.

Sorry.

Don't worry about anything.

Much.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Thanks. Now I get to go to bed, knowing my computer is looking at me.

The only thing I want looking at me at three in the morning is Captain Gregg. (and I would hope he tells me I shouldn't be ashamed of my figure)

>

> I still can't get that cap. I'll try tomorrow again.

Take your time.

>

> Nice computer.... wanna treat? I'll download some pics of Julie Christie....

Good thinking!

> "The only thing I want looking at me at three in the morning is Captain Gregg. (and I would hope he tells me I shouldn't be ashamed of my figure)."

Captain Queeg? Well...alright. But ya better have a lot of strawberries in your refrigerator.

Archived