Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ROBERT RYAN - The Real Quiet Man

MissGoddess

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> Gene was pretty dapper in *The Name of the Game* as well.

He was. But my eyes were always on Bob Stack.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Aug 20, 2010 12:23 AM

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

An excellent robert ryan movie is airing on tcm next Thursday evening, November 11 at 5:30 p.m. EST: *Woman on the Beach*.

Joan Bennett is his lovely co-star, along with the always good Charles Bickford. and even better...the director is Jean Renoir. Have a look, set your reminders.

I caught a few moments of "The People Against O'Hara" on my way to setting my vcr for your Robbie's "WOMAN ON THE BEACH."

What separated Diana Lynn from glorious Gloria Grahame? I thought the resemblance was striking.

Well...now for Robbie and Joanie.

Hey, is it my imagination but is Robert Ryan taken by Joan Bennett. He's so cute, sweet.

It's only fifteen minutes into the film. He's so big and tall and brawny next to her petite-ness.

Joan on the other hand is up to some brunette devilment. Love her in the slacks and curly

hair.

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Hey, is it my imagination but is Robert Ryan taken by Joan Bennett. He's so cute, sweet.

> It's only fifteen minutes into the film. He's so big and tall and brawny next to her petite-ness.

>

I really noticed the difference in height this time, too.

> Joan on the other hand is up to some brunette devilment. Love her in the slacks and curly

> hair.

she's a naughty little vixen alright. I loved her look, too. amazing hair.

• 4 months later...

ryan-bel-geddes-mason-caught_opt-1.jpg?t

This Monday, March 21, 2011 at 10:15 p.m. (EST) TCM is airing a rare Robert Ryan flick, *Caught* (1949). Ryan co-stars with Barbara BelGeddes and James Mason, and the story sounds remniscent of Fritz Lang's *Secret Beyond the Door*. Being that it's directed by Max Ophuls, it should be worth seeing/recording...and maybe discussing? :)

TCM Article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/70511/Caught/articles.html

Edited by: MissGoddess on Mar 18, 2011 4:57 PM

I hope my DVR records it without a hitch, as I may not be home in time. I'm looking forward to it because of the story and how impressed I was by *The Reckless Moment.* I have the feeling while that one focused on a mother, this one may be more about a marriage. Too bad the woman isn't Joan Bennet. :D

Caught *Caught* last night and I did enjoy it. Ryan was great as always and it was interesting seeing "Howard Hughes" on display. I may be the only one, but I felt sorry for the guy. He was clearly messed up. But I can't help but think of Tony Randall in---is it Lover, Come Back or Pillow Talk?---where he's a neurotic millionaire who goes to his shrink all the time. :D (The scene at the dock also reminded me of a similar one in Days of Wine and Roses).

Anyway, it was Barbara Bel Geddes' character that I could hang my emotions on to. It's a story that unfortunately still goes on today. I like that they did not make it so neatly Smith Ohrig's (Robert Ryan) meanness at fault, but just as much her own inability to make up her mind what was more important to her: money and security (with a crazy husband), or love and no money (with a nice guy).

Anyone catch another Barbara in a small, bit part? Barbara Billingsley (Beaver's Mom) was one of the patrons at the department store where Bel Geddes worked as a model. And the little "Personal Assistant", he was the pickpocket in *Casablanca* ("Vultures...vultures everywhere..") and the girl at the Charm School was Elisha Cook, jr's girlfriend in *The Big Sleep*.

The ending was wrapped up a little suddenly, but I thought it was a good movie, one I'll surely watch again.

However, good as it was, I can't put it in the same class as *The Reckless Moment*.

Edited by: MissGoddess on Mar 22, 2011 9:55 AM

Archived