Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ROBERT RYAN - The Real Quiet Man

[FrankGrimes] -- "*God's Little Acre* is the most unique Anthony Mann film I've seen and it's one of the most interesting performances by Ryan. Tina Louise is hard to miss. This a must film for ChiO, a fellow Ryan/Mann admirer."

Well, I watched it yesterday between bouts of grieving over the Cubs and maybe that influenced my viewing. I was unaware that "The Movie Star" (Tina Louise) could really act. Buddy Hackett's performance unexpectedly didn't put me off. Vic Morrow was wonderful and Ryan's performance is interesting. And yet...of the 10 or so Mann movies I've seen, I'd put this at No. 10 or so. Of course, a Mann #10 puts it ahead of alot of other directors' movies and I'm very glad I saw it, but it just wasn't resonating with me. The night and interior scenes grabbed me, but the daytime outdoor scenes would lose me (exception: Ms Louise in the tub -- but the cinematography, etc probably wasn't the cause of that). Maybe it was the script -- even though Philip Yordan wrote some of my favorites (*Reign of Terror* & *The Big Combo* , to mention a couple). Maybe it was too Southern Gothic for my taste. For Mann and Ryan completists, a must-see indeed; for anyone wanting an intro to Mann or Ryan, nope.

Hi ChiO,

I'll probably be watching *God's Little Acre* this weekend for the first time myself! I can't wait. I wish I could find *Ice Palace* and Berlin Express---those two I want very much to see next.

[MissG] -- I watched a VHS copy of *Berlin Express* last week thanks to Facets Multimedia's rental department. Good luck in your search. Worth seeing for Ryan working with Tourneur, but -- maybe it was my mood -- it didn't live up to my high hopes. That's what one gets when one tries to be a completist. When I mentioned my mild disappointment to a friend who is a filmmaker, film teacher & Tourneur fanatic, he said that he considered it one of his lesser efforts. I should probably give it another try.

Hi ChiO---I wonder if I'll ever get to see Berlin Express---I'm sure I won't be too disappointed by it since I really do like Merle Oberon and I'm interested in how she and Ryan are with each other.

ChiO -- I think you may have misinterpreted my words to you. The reason why I thought God's Little Acre was a must film for you was because I do believe it's the most unique Mann film AND one of the most unique Ryan performances. I never would have expected a film like this from Mann. I find it to be fascinating that he took on such a project. Same with Ryan.

My first impression of God's Little Acre was that it was so-so. It's gone up in value for me since my first impression because of it's quirky uniqueness. Now I must confess, I like steamy Southern gothic tales, so it's a film that's probably going to resonate with me more. I just haven't seen many films like it.

I also want to make clear that God's Little Acre is not in my top ten for Mann films. I enjoy his noirs and westerns more. But I will say that this film really lingers with me.

I will definitely be interested in hearing Miss G's take. I'm predicting she won't like it that much, but I'm very glad both of you have taken the time to view it.

[FrankGrimes] -- *I think you may have misinterpreted my words to you.*

I did not misinterpret your words. I just wanted you to finally 'fess up: that behind that learned film-noirish facade lurks a man whose favorite films are tawdry, sweaty, steamy Southern Gothics starring Buddy Hackett. Vee have vays of making you talk further, Mr. Glow-in-the-Dark Three-Mile-Islander.

As a Cubs fan, I understand and accept that every 100 years or so a director or actor may have a movie that I find less than totally satisfying. My hat's off to Mann and Ryan for trying in *God's Little Acre* . Why, someday I may see a Dreyer, Murnau, von Stroheim, or Welles film that I don't like -- but I doubt it.

P.S. Nice pix of *House of Bamboo* .

Miss G liked *God's Little Acre* but she doesn't have a lot of time to 'splain why yet. Well yes I have time to say it was because I love RR as "TyTy" What wonderful character for him! I saw all that "steamy southern" stuff for real when I was growing up so that was nothing new. Although I never saw country boys with that much energy to spend digging holes all day.

And if you keep posting such gorgeous pictures of Ryan I will put you on "ignore". You and ForeverGarland will be the death of me! :)

Hi, ChicagOwen -- I did not misinterpret your words. I just wanted you to finally 'fess up: that behind that learned film-noirish facade lurks a man whose favorite films are tawdry, sweaty, steamy Southern Gothics starring Buddy Hackett. Vee have vays of making you talk further, Mr. Glow-in-the-Dark Three-Mile-Islander.

Oooh, I like it when I get smacked back. Watch yourself now.

Miss G(od's Little Acre) -- Miss G liked God's Little Acre but she doesn't have a lot of time to 'splain why yet. Well yes I have time to say it was because I love RR as "TyTy" What wonderful character for him! I saw all that "steamy southern" stuff for real when I was growing up so that was nothing new. Although I never saw country boys with that much energy to spend digging holes all day.

Well, well, well. You're always full o' surprises, Goddess. It's no wonder I like you.

And if you keep posting such gorgeous pictures of Ryan I will put you on "ignore". You and ForeverGarland will be the death of me!

Many more on the way. I've got a lot of Ryan's films on DVD. I'll select some of my favorite On Dangerous Ground pics next. I know that's one of your favorites... because of the handsome Ward Bond. I hope you can contain yourself if I post a pic of him.

In the meantime, I'm going Southern gothic again:

gla1-1.jpg

gla2-1.jpg

gla3-1.jpg

gla4-1.jpg

gla5-1.jpg

Don't worry, I'll make sure Robert Ryan is in every grab in my future postings on this thread.

Hi Theresa! Yes, he makes my heart pitter-pat in *House of Bamboo. I will have to add the dvd to my collection, eventually.

Here are some more I don't believe I've posted yet:

rryan-1.jpg

*The Robert Ryans*

Ryan_Family.gif

He actually looks sweet here:

rryansweet.jpg

i actually like House of Bamboo. heehee! i suppose only beause he is in it. heehee! i love the pics where he is with his family, they are to adorable and make me sink in my chair in a pile of mooshy goo. heehee! esp the pics where he looks sweet natured. that one of him crossing his arms is gonna be one of my new favorites of his. heehee!

I loved the character of the little blonde in GLA---what was her name? Darlin' Jill? Ha! She was a funny minx.

"Minx" is the perfect word for Darlin' Jill. Well, I guess others could think of other words for her, but I like "minx."

Robert Ryan in On Dangerous Ground

odg1.jpg

odg2.jpg

odg3.jpg

odg4.jpg

odg5.jpg

odg6.jpg

odg7.jpg

odg8.jpg

odg9.jpg

odg10.jpg

By the way, if anyone has a problem loading all these images, let me know and I'll delete some of them.

SEVERE SPOILER PHOTOS IF YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN ON DANGEROUS GROUND

Robert Ryan finds a woman worth turning around for in On Dangerous Ground

odg20.jpg

odg21.jpg

odg22.jpg

odg23.jpg

odg24.jpg

odg25.jpg

odg27.jpg

odg26.jpg

odg28.jpg

odg29.jpg

odg30.jpg

Thank you so much, Scott, for those wonderful images from my favorite Ryan movie. I love the last scene, I think it's terribly moving and feels so right for the story. I couldn't have born it otherwise, seeing him go back to that wretched flat of his all alone. Alone, except for his athletic trophies. Great, great movie.

Hi Miss Goddess, Last night I watched RR in "Born To Be Bad". It was interesting to see Robert play a different type of role. In this movie, he was the exact opposite of Earl Pfeiffer. Nick wouldn`t play around with the married Christabel, Joan Fontaine. I loved the line that RR said to Joan "I love you so much, I wish that I liked you more. Joan was a despicable manipulater, but she couldn`t win over Robert in the end. The movie wasn`t the greatest, but the cast was tops. Joan Leslie, Zachary Scott, and Mel Ferrer costarred. Mel Ferrer directed RR in "The Secret Fury" with Claudette Colbert the same year that "Born To Be Bad" was released 1950.

Hi Cashette---I was a little disappointed in Joan Fontaine's performance in Born to be Bad after rather high expectations---I felt her character was so transparently played a child should have seen through her machinations. Ryan had a rather thankless role in that one. I haven't seen The Secret Fury and I didn't know Mel Ferrer directed it.