Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Judy Garland

Definitely one of her greatest performances was in the 1954 version of "A Star is Born" with James Mason, she was simply terrific in it!!.... Then I'll Have to say, the unforgettable "The Wizard of Oz", of 1939.....Then:

"The Harvey Girls" (1946), great musical...ahh the great americana film "Meet Me in St. Louis"(1944), with the marvellous Licille Bremer, as her elder sister, and Mary Astor as her mommy .... the gorgeous "Easter Parade" (1948) opposite Fred Astaire, Ann Miller and Peter Lawford.....and almost everything she did with Mickey Rooney: "Strike Up The Band" (1940), "Babes in Arms" (1939), "Girl Crazy" (1943), et al.... ohh I forgot the unjustly underrated (at least in its time) "The Pirate" (1948) with the great Gene Kelly....

There's also a non-musical with Robert Walker, called The Clock" (1945), which I liked very, very much...a sincere movie....and, although not one of her best ranked, "In the Good Old Summertime" (1949), the musical version of Lubitsch's "The Shop Around the Corner", a joyous film opposite Van Johnson and the great S.Z. "Cuddles" Sakall...which I enjoyed a lot....Liza Minnelli does a cameo in it (as a baby)....Cute!

I think it was "The Shop Around the Corner" that I watched with her and Van Johnson just the other day. Seldom does a movie make me laugh out loud (especially comedies, for some reason!), but this was a hoot! I was belly-laughing at their introduction scene with the umbrella! I never saw Judy Garland in such a comic light as that film, and was totally impressed with her frustrated, "get-out-of-my-face" attitude of her character. *still giggling*

Ok all you whiz kids, there's another one...and of course I can't think of the title of the movie, but Judy Garland and Gene Kelly were show people in it, and in order to stay out of the war, Kelly slammed his hand in a theatre trunk. Will someone please tell me the name of this movie before I go nuts?

I also agree that "The Clock" was one of her best in the Drama vein. My favorite Garland musicals will always be "Meet Me In St. Louis" and "The Harvey Girls".

Yes, Virtualpope...that's it! Thank you! Now I'll be able to get to sleep tonight. I didn't realize that it was Kelly's film debut, so I've also learned something more. I wish that TCM would show it sometime during the daytime. I miss so many of these movies because they are on in the middle of the night.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...