Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fritz Lang's MAN HUNT

Bronxgirl48

I've been familiar with this film for years but never got a chance to see it. then as I was channel surfing a few days ago, it appeared (the last hour unfortunately -- another "consarnit!") on FMC.

Has to be one of Walter Pidgeon's best performances, especially his exchanges in the cave w/James Mason at finale. Joan Bennett has a fairly credible (well, to this Yank's ears) Cockney accent (far above Marjorie Reynolds attempt at being German in another Lang, MINISTRY OF FEAR) I loved when the jeweller innocently pointed the arrow pin at Joan. Very chilling symbolism!

I hope I get to see it in its entirety.

Lang experts, please give me and everyone the benefit of your wisdom on MAN HUNT.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

I really like " Manhunt ", with fine performances from Walter Pidgeon, George Sanders, John carradine, and Joan Bennett. Dudley Nichols ( the screenwriter ) and director Fritz Lang also worked well together on another excellent noir " Scarlett Street ", also starring the GREAT Joan Bennett.

"Man Hunt" is terrific. I especially like John Carradine's wordless role as a German agent in London who tracks Walter Pidgeon in the subway. The scene in which Bennet acts like a prostitute in saying goodbye to Pidgeon to distract attention from him is a real heartbreaker. I think this one has usually been underrated.

I only saw the last 20 minutes or so, from the time Pidgeon (still in the cave) pretended to go along with Sanders' idea and rigged up that "spear" to the end. I never saw Joan except in the brief flashback sequence. I was already mad that they didn't end up together---is what Sanders' said about her fate true? I didn't know this was a Fritz Lang film, I just happened to turn to FMC and there it was.

I'm not sure I want to see the rest since it ends like it did.

From what I saw it had fascinating dark, fatalistic elements. I'm not that familiar with Lang's themes, but I think they include guilt and paranoia. (see MINISTRY OF FEAR)

Bennett and Pidgeon in the jewelry store is a very significant scene.

Lang seems to be an auteur; definitely a film worth seeing all the way through, as part of his canon.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

• 1 year later...

I hope more people might get a chance to watch this great Fritz Lang movie now that it has (finally) been released on DVD.

I love the cast of the movie, I think Pidgeon and Sanders give some of their best performances and Bennett is absolutely lovely (I also thought her Cockney accent was totally convincing). John Carradine was appropriately sinister and Roddy McDowall gave it a nice touch of innocence that was a nice contrast.

The influence of German expressionism can be seen very clearly in some of the scenes in the movie, especially when Pidgeon's character is being chased by the Nazi agents around the streets of London - lots of fog, lots of shadows!

This is a great movie, not just for Fritz Lang fans, and if the DVD release was timed to coincide with the recent Valkyrie, then Man Hunt is easily the best of the two.