Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

After ALL NIGHT LONG, don't miss NIGHTMARE ALLEY on Retroplex tonight!

Dewey alerted us to ALL NIGHT LONG tonight, and I just checked the Retroplex schedule and am thrilled to tell all of you who get that channel that they are repeating NIGHTMARE ALLEY this same evening, at 9:35 p.m. EST.

DO NOT MISS IT!

Bronxie

Yes, Dewey -- how could I take SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS for granted? It's classic; and I've never seen Tony Curtis and Burt so.....acidic. (Burt's truly scary)

For me, Retroplex and The Fox Movie Channel rounds out the TCM experrience nicely.

And people, I believe that this Saturday, Sept. 29th, Retroplex is running BLITHE SPIRIT twice that day, so check out the times. Margaret Ruthford as Madame Arcati is priceless.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

I love the dialogue in SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS! I can spot a playwright a mile away. Any movie in which Tony Curtis excels has a lot going for it. It's his best (only good?) performance. The viewer who sees this exceptional film for the first time is in for a major treat.

RR

I like the cool, retro 60's vibe on Retroplex, FMC's stable of their oldies, and TCM's classic early Hollywood, including the silents, rare talkies, and the fun genre stuff (Boston ****, Charlie Chan, etc)

Has TCM actually run any Charlie Chan's lately? I thought those belonged to Fox and hadn't been licensed to Turner any time recently.

But I do agree with you that Blithe Spirit is one of Margaret Ruthford's finest hours. The movie was an exhilarating discovery for me, little did I suspect David Lean was also good at this kind of supernatural romantic comedy.

I love Margaret Rutherford's line about how, as she was bicycling, she was met by "a tremendous deafening of birdsong".

I as well didn't know that Lean would have such a deft hand at this particular subject matter, but it's also droll and arch, and those qualities were infused a bit in BRIEF ENCOUNTER, being a veddy British romance.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

• 3 weeks later...

If you might remember the Asian community complained to FMC a few years ago about them showing Charlie Chan films. I remember they had a marathon, and had to take it off. Complaint was that there wasn't an Asian actor playing Chan. They are out on dvd though.

Late to this thread, but I'm not familiar with Retroplex. I do tend to have a problem with TCM, FMC, and AMC though. Starting out as featuring mostly films from the Hollywood Golden Age-50s and earlier, AMC and especially Fox have gotten rid of most of their oldies and feature way too many showings of movies from the 80s and 90s, often repeated up to 3 times in prime time...while the older stuff is mainly relegated to 3 AM showings. Also, what passes for Original Programming on Fox these days are infomercials for 20ths current movie, and worse, TV lineups (What happened to special stuff like the 20th Century Fox Hour episodes from the mid-50s featuring abbreviated telefeatures of Fox classics?). AMC is pasably better, but the commercials and the discontinuance of original shows like the Behind the Scenes and the movie costume show hosted by Darryl Hannah, have made it a no-no for me. TCM is starting to show these endencies, with more and more recent films in the lineup. Sometimes my best bet is to peruse what's on Cinemax, or HBO overnight.

>Complaint was that there wasn't an Asian actor playing Chan.

Traditional Chinese theater still has men playing the roles of women, such as in theaters in New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. I don't hear the Asican community complaining about that.

Retroplex plays all this neat, groovy retro 60's stuff, like Janet Munro in BITTER HARVEST, etc.

I share your concerns about all this commercial tie-in, and that TCM is definitely showing these tendencies, along with AMC and Fox. I frankly hate it.