Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vic Morrow question

"Men in War" was an excellent and under rated Korean war film directed by Anthony Mann and starring Robert Ryan and Aldo Ray in the leads. Ironically, the book "Day Without End" and retitled "Combat" {ironic again} was set in WW 2. It's an terrific film with an fine supporting cast.

Edited by: fredbaetz on Nov 4, 2012 9:42 PM

*Welcome to the TCM Messageboards, JoeLynn!*

Nice sentiment for all of you welcoming him (methinks, but maybe a her) to the message board, but this thread was started in 2007, but recently resurrected NoirDame (who is probably whom should be welcomed). I made the same mistake when I first started reading it lol

PS - SprocketMan ...he probably has gone away in the intervening years.

Edited by: Arturo on Nov 4, 2012 11:37 PM

• 3 weeks later...

I think Vic Morrow played Dutch Schultz in a film from the early 1960's. Did TCM ever show this film? I'd like to see it someday. I don't think there are many photos of the young Vic Morrow out there, but I also would love to see some posted. Great actor. TCM should devote a day to his films.

I too was a huge COMBAT fan as a youngster in the 60's. Sgt Saunders was my absolute favorite. Back several years ago I was able to introduce my wife and daughter (then 10 yr old) to COMBAT. Both fell inlove with the series and we bought the entire series on DVD. Vic is everyones favorite. We have several other movies he is in. My wife became a huge Vic Morrow fan.

I loved Combat. I watched it cause my dad loves it. So I bought the dvd, watched a few episodes, then wound up buying the entire boxset. Best investment cause I love the program. No shows of today compare. Vic Morrow was one heck of an actor. I've seen him in several movies and made-for-tv films and guest appearances. I loved him in Combat the best though. He was cool, macho and sexy way back then. I'm a female and I recommend this program to everyone - male and female. It's a great discussion of a great actor. Thank you.

I didn't realize how many guest starring appearances Vic Morrow made on various tv shows. I just saw one from a show called The Outlaws from 1960 - he was in an episode called "Beat the Drum Slowly". I never heard of this western tv show. Vic Morrow looked so young in that episode, but I think he was about 31 years old cause I had read that he was 26 years old in Blackboard Jungle and that was 5 years earlier. He certainly didn't look that old in Blackboard Jungle - I was surprised he was 26 years old in that film and Sidney Poitier was 30 years old - way too old to play a kid in high school.

I couldn't agree more, Mythoughts!!!

This thread has reminded me that I've never finished my "Combat!" collection. I'd stopped at Season 3 . . . so I await Seasons 4 and 5. True joy en route.

I also watched it with my dad. No girlie shows for me!

. . . and "Jonny Quest" was my favorite cartoon!

The thing about *Combat!* is that Vic Morrow wasn't supposed to become the star of the show. I remember when it began "they" were giving Rick Jason, who'd been around a long time and looked more like a leading man, the big buildup. But Morrow could act, looked liked the guy next door or your big brother, and had an "everyman" charm that made him seem real. Jason finally gave up and left after Morrow got Emmy nominations and became the main character. Morrow was in a *Magnum,* *PI* episode early on as a cop and showed he still had the talent. This is the way I remember him.

So many interesting posts and facts about him. I think Rick Jason agreed to take a lesser role in Combat provided he earn the same pay as Morrow. I think Vic Morrow was interested in directing and actually directed some Combat shows and used camera angles ahead of his time. A very talented man and actor.

*That was a great deal for Rick Jason. He got paid the same money as Vic Morrow and Rick Jason had a very small part in the show, after originally being cast as the "lead". I used to laugh at the way Rick Jason would be in the first 10 seconds of the show giving the orders of what mission lay ahead for Vic Morrow and his squad. And then you'd see Rick Jason at the very end of the show pulling up in a jeep that was so small, his knees would touch the dashboard - and say "good job". He must have laughed all the way to the bank.*

Glad to see this thread resurface. I'm currently enjoying on DVD Season 4, Mission 1. A gem inside is an episode featuring guest stars Luise Rainer and Ramon Novarro who play characters of French countess and count struggling with the end of their heritage. Great stuff! (I'm guessing this was one of Novarro's last roles as it seems he died a couple of years after.)

Hello Dpompper. I love that tv show. Vic Morrow made the whole show and I also enjoy watching the DVDs I have. I recall the episode you refer to. Some of my favorites are Furlough (which was in color from the last season with guest star Carol Lawrence). I also liked Gitty, Survival, Chapel at Able Five, The Losers, The Medal, The Little Carousel and there is also one with Richard Basehart that is phenomenal. I like the ones where Frank Gorshin guest stars and also Sal Mineo. The are so many good episodes - I love that program.

"Combat!" is among my faves, for sure. Doesn't even feel like I'm watching a TV show. I have 1.5 more seasons to go and am anxious to find an episode that I remember from when I was age 5 or 6 -- about Sgt. Saunders with a kitten. Since I just saw an episode with a small dog, I wonder if the years may have altered my memory.

Hello again Dpompper. Enjoy watching the show. I watched all the episodes. There were several with Saunders with a small dog. One episode was "Hear No Evil" where Saunders lost his hearing due to a grenade exploding near him and the small dog was his "ears" and helped him along the way. I don't recall an episode with a kitten, however, there was a cat that came nearby a hiding Saunders and the guest star Sal Mineo, other than that, I can't recall a kitten. If you get to watch Season 5, which is the last season in color, I liked the episode which had Bill Bixby as a guest star.

One of my favorite episodes is "The Casket" which guest starred James Whitmore, pretending to be a priest. It also had Mart Hulswitt who became Dr. Bauer on Guiding Light. Seems to be a lot of interest on Vic Morrow, perhaps TCM can have a 1/2 day or full day tribute to his films sometime.

Those movies would be a great line-up for a day devoted to the films of Vic Morrow.

I'd also add Hell's Five Hours and Posse from Hell and also Portrait of a Mobster. I don't know why TCM never shows these 3 films. I think Portrait of a Mobster is when he played Dutch Schultz and is supposed to be very good. I don't even think these films are out on DVD either.

<One of my favorite episodes is "The Casket" which guest starred James Whitmore, pretending to be a priest.>

I just saw "The Casket" last night, movielover. Except no James Whitmore. Plenty of Nina Foch, though. I think the only other film I'd seen her in was "An American In Paris." I recognized her right away, though. The one you're referring to probably has a different title (and I haven't seen it yet). Something special to look forward to -- to be sure!

I agree. I thought Morrow should have been nominated for a Best Supporting Actor for Blackboard Jungle. I think perhaps it was his first movie role, and maybe because he wasn't well-known to Hollywood, he wasn't nominated. It happened to Brando as well. He should have been nominated for "The Men" and for "Streetcar" but because he was relatively unknown, and also went against the grain and didn't conform to Hollywood standards, he didn't get the award for Best Actor until he was nominated for a few movies prior to that. But Morrow wasn't even nominated, and he surely was worthy of an award for his role as Artie West in Blackboard Jungle.

Edited by: newclassicfilmfan on Dec 17, 2012 5:27 PM