Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vic Morrow question

I saw a film called Men in War from mid '50's. It had Aldo Ray in it. He was good as was Robert Ryan. It also had Vic Morrow in it. It was ironic that he was playing a helpless soldier kind of character in the film and then a few years later, he played the Sargeant of his squad in Combat tv series.

> {quote:title=newclassicfilmfan wrote:}{quote}TCM would never show classic tv shows. Father Knows Best was okay, but I couldn't get past that younger daughter cause her bangs were chopped over her forehead. She looked like she could play a sister to Beaver Cleaver on Leave It Too Beaver cause he had the crooked bangs that looked idiotic too.

Actually, TCM has shown some old tv programming, like during the Hal Roach month when they showed some Screen Directors Showcase. Also, when Frank Sinatra was Star of the Month they showed some tv specials from the sixties and seventies. There were a couple of Grace Kelly's early tv work when she was SOTM, and a few of the old Dick Cavett shows with classic movie stars like Katharine Hepburn and Bette Davis.

There are so many good Combat episodes, I'd have a hard time naming my favorites. I like Chapel at Able Five, One More for the Road, The Record, The Losers, The Medal, Survival, The Cassock, Hear No Evil, Gitty, The Furlough, Little Carousel just to name a few. There are many more I like as well. For Vic Morrow films, I like Blackboard Jungle, King Creole, Men at War, Glass House and he was also great in A Little Sleep which was from Alfred Hitchcock Presents. I'd love to see Vic Morrow as SOTM!

Mythoughts, you're wayyyy ahead of me. I need to go back through my collection to nominate my faves (although I already know that the first episode and "The Furlough" will be among them).

Let's keep the faith!

The Furlough was a good episode. I generally liked more of the episodes after the 1st season because the show became more serious in nature and actors/characters seemed to be a more cohesive unit. I didn't care much for the episodes with Shecky Greene in the first season. They originally wanted it to have some light humor in it, but it didn't work and Shecky was dividing his time with Catskills shows and Combat tv shows and he only lasted for the 1st season.

I prefer the black and white episodes as well. But you could see Vic Morrow's blue eyes in the color episodes. There was an episode with Sal Mineo that I liked and one episode with James Whitmore too. There were so many great episodes, but I don't know the titles to them.

I saw a Combat episode called "High Named Today". Guest star was Dean Stockwell. He looked very handsome.

Has anyone seen Vic Morrow appearing in Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode of "A Little Sleep". It was a good episode and Vic Morrow looked very young, and quite handsome too! :P

I think Barbara Cook might have won a Kennedy Honor 2 years ago. I recall her name. Anyway, when will TCM show some more obscure work by Vic Morrow, like Posse from Hell, Portrait of a Mobster and Hell's Five Hours? I can't find these films out on DVD anywhere. Can't TCM show these movies?

Permission to digress (as we do occasionally on this thread) to applaud the talent of Vic's daughter, Jennifer Jason Leigh.

I re-watched "Washington Square" (1997) on DVD the other evening. JJL brought nuances to the Catherine Sloper role that Olivia de Havilland did not in "The Heiress" (1949). Don't get me wrong, I love it, too -- and OdH deservedly won the best-actress Oscar that year.

For example, JJL showed a woman slowly unravelling with such subtle touches.

I highly recommend watching them back to back (as I just did).

OK, back to Vic . . .

• 3 weeks later...