Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vic Morrow question

I think it was some type of made-for-tv type film. They used to have a lot of those in the 1970's. I think he made a lot of those type of films. I think in Blackboard Jungle, Morrow was like Brando. I think it was called Method acting.

I counted 11 movies for Vic. I wouldn't call that a lot. But he did a lot of TV work. My guess is that he liked the steady income of TV and this is why he wasn't featured in a lot of movies.

It is very difficult to balance a movie shooting schedule with steady TV work.

I remember the film now. It was called "GLASS HOUSE" from the 1970's. Morrow played the leader of the gang in jail. He was really good at playing those vicious characters. I also think Alan Alda was in this film too. I have a feeling it's not out on DVD. Morrow was a helluva actor. He was very, very good, and highly undervalued.

I wouldn't say for sure that producers didn't wish to cast him in their films. I think he liked tv work better as it was steady income. Some people prefer tv to movies. In any case, I think he was a mighty fine actor and deserved so much better.

Well I know this is going to sound like I'm nit picking, but I don't see how Morrow "deserved so much better", if as you assume (which I tend to agree with), that Morrow chose TV because he liked the steady income.

i.e. Morrow got what he deserved based on the choices HE made.

(for Morrow to deserve something better, one would have to beleive that producers just weren't interested in him and that they were thus wrong).

What you mention is one of the primary reasons I like watching late 50's and 60's TV shows; we get to see studio era movie stars. e.g. just saw Bonanza and Theresa Wright was on it.

There has been a discussion on this forum that TCM show TV shows that feature these actors. While this is a great idea I don't think it will ever happen because TCM would have to purchase the rights to many, many different TV shows as well as many episodes that didn't feature a studio era movie star.

What a fabulous idea. I hope TCM does this. I would love to see all these old shows with various guest stars who became, or were, famous actors/actresses at the time, or later on. I miss those type of shows. Bonanza was great too. I saw quite a few of those shows. Actually, I think Vic Morrow was on that show a few times as a guest star as well. I think he was friends with Michael Landon.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen that episode on Barbara Stanwyck show where Morrow guest stars. He really never put in a single bad performance. I think TCM will just stick to movies and not classic tv or variety type shows.

What I would love to see is the films where Vic Morrow played Dutch Schultz and also one where he was disgruntled worker - I think it was called "hell's five hours". Does anyone know where these films can be found? I don't think they are out on DVD and TCM never shows them either.

This was a great actor.

• 1 month later...

I thought I saw most of Morrow's films, but I have not seen A Step Out Of Line. I never heard of this film. But I think he did a lot of "made for tv films" and guest starring roles in several shows back in the 1970's.

I don't recall him ever playing a leading man type of role. I don't think Vic Morrow ever got the appreciation or recognition he deserved. He was one fine actor.

New saw that film. Speaking on another thread about Summer Under the Stars, here's an actor that should get a day devoted to him. Vic Morrow made several films that could fill up a day for Summer Under the Stars.

The only thing about that is, as mentioned here, Morrow was considered by many in this thread as being greatly under appreciated. The TCM programmers might not consider him worthy of a day devoted to him because they feel he wouldn't appeal to a nationwide audience. I WOULD love to see it happen, but I'n not holding my breath.

Sepiatone

Vic Morrow just doesn't have enough non 'made for TV' movies, where he received at least 4th billing, to fill up a whole day. I mention his billing credit because TCM has featured character actors in SUTS. A character actor has a certain persona and this is what links their performances in various films. Morrow isn't a character actor. He is a TV actor.

TCM would also have to show the 70's movies Morrow was in to fill out the day. Do we really want TCM to show The Bad News Bears, The California Kid (where Morrow does get second billing) and Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry?

If TCM was to do that, Fred might leave and never come back! :)

I would say there are enough Vic Morrow films to fill up a whole day. Problem is, TCM doesn't have some of the films he made in the mid 1950's. If they could get their hands on some of these gems, it would be a real great day of films to honor one, TERRIFIC actor.

I would recommend the following line-up: (and actually, this might be too many films for the day)

Tribute to a Bad Man

King Creole

Hell's Five Hours

Cimarron

God's Little Acre

Portrait of a Mobster

Posse from Hell

Men in War

Bad News Bears

Blackboard Jungle

Tribute to a Bad Man - 5th billing

King Creole - 7th billing

Hell's Five Hours - 3rd billing

Cimarron - 7th billing

God's Little Acre - 7th billing

Portrait of a Mobster - 1st billing

Posse from Hell - 4th billing

Men in War - 6th billing

Bad News Bears - 3rd billing

Blackboard Jungle - 11th billing

I find only Blackboard Jungle and King Creole to be 'gems' (if any Elvis movie can be gem it is that one). Yea, some feel God's Little Acre is a gem but I'm not much of a fan. These three movies are shown on TCM. The other movies are only OK if that. I wouldn't call them classics.

With that line up, Glenn Ford, with his two starring roles, would be on the screen almost as much as Vic Morrow is for all 10 pictures. Like I said Morrow isn't a character actor.

Not everyone has to like Vic Morrow, and obviously, you don't. That being said, there are plenty of lousy actors with lousy films who get their Summer Under the Stars day, so I think Vic Morrow should get his day as well. He was a phenomenal actor and the films I mentioned were pretty good films. I respect your opinion, but respectfully disagree.