Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
msladysoul

Ann Sheridan

What do you all think about Ann Sheridan? I think she is wonderful. Despite the fact she isn't remembered much today. But in her time she was a household name and one of the top pin-up girls. And when I read these book written by the classic stars like Ann Miller and June Allyson, they always seem to mention Ann Sheridan, so she was loved by them. Ann didn't have much training in acting, but its hard to notice that. Because she's so good. I think Warner Bros didn't think much of her, they just milked her for what they could get. I guess they felt they needed a pretty girl to be a star. Because they didn't have any Beautiful/Glamour Girls- so Ann Sheridan became that. But she didn't get the best of roles sometimes. But she made the best of them. I also loved her singing voice, she danced quite well for an unprofessional. She seemed to be able to do anything. I think if she would of been at MGM, 20th Century, Paramout or Columbia she would of been a bigger star. They would of appreciated her more. But I love her natural raw beauty, spunk, sass, her fiesty sex appeal. She was a very versatile actress, capable to adapt to any role. I wonder does she have any family members alive? I'm still trying to learn about her.

I think that Ann Sheridan is just terrific! I always liked her style and its too bad she wasn't used to full advantage ala Bette Davis and Joan Crawford.

She was a down to earth gal who was beloved by many of her contempories especially Cagney. Even Bette Davis liked her as did her ex-husbands.

Of course her finest role came in "Kings Row" a part she had to fight for.

"Annie" was a swell dame and I will never forget her and I always make sure I watch her films on TCM.

Oh! She was also quite a looker.

Mongo

I like Ann Sheridan a lot too. I think the first film I saw her in on TCM was They Drive by Night (though I remember seeing I Was A Male War Bride in my youth;-) Subsequently, I've seen her in They Drive By Night (though I overlooked her once I saw Ida Lupino) , The Man Who Came to Dinner (a must see, very funny!), & Kings Row with Ronald Reagan.

It seems every film in which I've seen her, her character's name ends in an "ie" or "y" sound, which fits (I think;-)

I also love Ann Sheridan. My favorite movie of hers is "George Washington Slept Here" - she and Jack Benny are hilarious as a New York couple who buy a run down house in the country and fix it up. The supporting cast is great too, with Hattie McDaniel, and Charles Coburn, among others. It's a must-see movie. And of course she was great in "I Was a Male War Bride" - she and Cary Grant are great together - it's a shame they weren't paired up more.

Yesterday morning I didn't get much done since TCM--dang them--saw fit to run one of my favorite movies, City for Conquest. This 1940 production, directed by Anatole Litvak, features a very touching turn by James Cagney as a boxer, along with lovingly detailed smaller parts for Arthur Kennedy, Elia Kazan, the salty Lee Patrick, and, most wonderfully, Ann Sheridan. I've probably seen this movie six times, but yesterday there was something about Miss Annie's sincere and heartfelt performance as a misguided dancer that just put a lump in my throat.

I love Sheridan's familiar wisecracking warmth and glamour girl surface in such fun vehicles as George Washington Slept Here, The Man Who Came to Dinner, and Torrid Zone, but in this movie, as in King's Row, she knocked me out with the depth of feeling that she could convey when given half a chance with a well written role, a good director and someone to play against, such as the protean Cagney and a very young Anthony Quinn, as her sinister dance partner.

BTW, according to a couple of Cagney biographies, he was disappointed with City for Conquest since, as a movie developed with his brother William as producer from a realistic contemporary novel, Warners & the production code softened the story more than Cagney wished at the time. He also expressed his fondness for Ann Sheridan, and, in retrospect, he noted in "Cagney on Cagney" that he wished that his costar had not been a smoker--a fact that led to her relatively early death and probably also gave her voice that distinctive huskiness.

For the only first hand encounter with Miss Sheridan that I've ever come across, I enjoyed John Kobal's 1986 book, "People Will Talk", which includes the author's meeting with a very unpretentious Ann a short time before her death at age 51. Does anyone else know of any other good resources about her?

The existence of this thread indicates that Ann Sheridan has her fans and I believe that Robert Osborne has expressed his fondness for Sheridan on a few occasions. Perhaps TCM could consider her as a potential star of the month or at least as a birthday girl worthy of a day of her films on February 21st, if not sooner. What do others think??

Moira, there is a book in progress on the life of the lovely Ann Sheridan and should be out soon.

In fact, while doing research for the book, it was the author who discovered that Sheridan's ashes were stashed away in a draw in a mortuary since she passed away (along with her ring and a pair of earrings). It was shameful.

Thanks to her, Miss Sheridan has since had a decent service at Hollywood Forever cemetery and now has an elaborate shrine with the urn and her picture surrounded by plush curtains.

My she now rest in peace.

Mongo

moirafinney20, there is an excellent career article on Sheridan in FILMS OF THE GOLDEN AGE, issues 37 & 38 (2004). There was also a 1968 interview of Sheridan in the 1968 issue of Screen Facts. I used to have that issue, but I not sure if I still do. Sheridan, who is one of my all-time favorite shares the same birthday with me.

Ann Sheridan combines both extreme beauty and naturalism, which was sometimes rare in the time period of films in which she worked, what with the plucked arched eyebrow look of the times, and the clothes cut on the bias of some slinky stars.

One only has to see a few between scenes casual shots of Ann with a crew, to understand why she was loved by both men and women who worked with her. Naturally gorgeous, and not needing any makeup to add to her allure in fresh faced, down to earth roles, nevertheless Ann could turn in amazing performances as a glamour type girl, as in the wonderful noir film, "Nora Prentiss" in which Ann equits herself as a femme fatale and more, to Kent Smith's detriment.

Not many beauty queen types, could have then played a part awash with acerbity and wit, as Ann did in "I Was a Male War Bride". Later in her career, when Ann came to television series work, in "Pistols and Petticoats" she did not quite resemble the healthy looking Ann of old, but the spunk and charm of her persona was still abundantly evident.

There are no Ann Sheridan types today, alas.

She has been a favourite of mine ever since I watched for the first time in the 1952 "Steel Town". I loved her strong-willed character in that film.

As a kid I usually confused her with Maureen O'Hara. Both ladies have that "Redheadish" beauty.

Although I have seen few of her films, I've enjoyed even the less famous or minor movies in which she was featured, like "The Opposite Sex" (an all-time favourite), the aforementioned "Steel Town" or "Take Me to Town"

And then, there are the great films of hers which I've seen: "Edge of Darkness", "Kings Row", "I was a Male War Bride" (one of the greatest comedies ever) and "They Drive By Night".

I have the luck of owning a beautiful 1945 dedicated & signed still of her (a full body shot) by Madison Lacy.

I loved Ann in three films: "Kings Row", "I was a male

War Bride" & my favorite "The Man Who Came To Dinner"

she was fantastic in everyway! Spoilercoming***********

When she's put in the mummy case by Monte wooley & Jimmy

Durante i laugh soooo hard everytime i see it! Priceless!

Just show how the wonderful Ann Sheridan would do anything! a director or script called for! What a trouper! Plus she also held her own against Bette Davis

in that film no easy task i bet. I thank God thanks to

the author who's writing a book about her coming out soon Ann has a final resting Place. RIP ANN.....

Well, your welcome info about Ann Sheridan just proves my point that a lot of us really think she's swell. Mongo, thanks for the update regarding the upcoming bio and the very sad story about her remains--thank goodness someone gave a damn, all these years later.

I loved to hear that all of you share my enthusiasm for her, though we ought to mention one other essential Annie film, "Angels With Dirty Faces". It's not a big part, but no one slams a door in the face of a wolf with as much style as Annie!