Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

> {quote:title=Nikkymo wrote:}{quote}

> Hi there Miss G!

>

> I was just wondering if you've read Ava's autobiography yet? I'm about half way through it and I LOVE HER!! I was a fan before but now I'm just over the moon. She was a wonderful person and I love that she was always herself and satisfied with being just that. There are too many things to list that I've discovered about her that have secured her a spot among my favorite ladies of the golden era. Her book is written as though she's talking to an old friend and that's exactly how I feel reading it. To top it all off as stunning as she was she wasn't at all affected by it and that makes an already beautiful person totally enchanting and all together lovely. I hereby join the ranks as one of her big ole fans!

Hi Nikky! Yes, I very much enjoyed Ava's autobiography and recommend it over Lee Server's recent, overcooked biography.

Do you have a favorite Ava film?

200px-Little_Hut87.jpg

Anyone else watch "_The Little Hut_" (09/05/08) last night? Strange film, very funny. I wish ths they would re-make this, since in 1957 W./the censorship and codes the director Mark Robson couldn't push the lines. Despite the much-touted scenes of Ava Gardner in a skimpy negligee, the film version of "_The Little Hut_" is about as racy as _Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm_.

Ava Gardner, Stewart Granger and David Niven were just fun to watch. & Ava was so gorgeous!

Yes I do have a favorite Ava film!! Now I haven't seen them all but so far it's Mogambo!! I've loved her in Show Boat since I was little, so much so that her character made the whole movie melancholy for me. I adore the most recent B&W photo you posted!

Hiya MissG, As much as I love Clark Gable, to me it was definitely Ava's picture! I was totally rooting for her throughout. Grace is lovely but I admit I always root for the Brunette's, could be I'm a bit biased!! Come to think of it the majority of my fave beauties have dark hair...Hedy, Ava, Kathryn, Elizabeth, Jane.....

> {quote:title=Nikkymo wrote:}{quote}

> Hiya MissG, As much as I love Clark Gable, to me it was definitely Ava's picture! I was totally rooting for her throughout. Grace is lovely but I admit I always root for the Brunette's, could be I'm a bit biased!! Come to think of it the majority of my fave beauties have dark hair...Hedy, Ava, Kathryn, Elizabeth, Jane.....

Hi Nikky! I'm partial to the beauty of brunettes myself. My top three favorites in terms of looks

are all brunettes: Ava, Gene Tierney and Vivien Leigh. Hedy Lamarr, too.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

> {quote:title=randyishere wrote:}{quote}

> Me too!! I love brunettes! I'm nutso for Hedy, Linda, Jane Russell, Ida, Merle, Bette, Crawford, Gene, Yvonne, Jennifer, Kay, Joan Bennett, Paulette, Vivien, Olivia, Ella, and Patricia Medina.

Do you like Elizabeth Taylor, too? And Myrna was another knockout.

> Me too!! I love brunettes! I'm nutso for Hedy, Linda, Jane Russell, Ida, Merle, Bette, Crawford, Gene, Yvonne, Jennifer, Kay, Joan Bennett, Paulette, Vivien, Olivia, Ella, and Patricia Medina.

One more that belongs in that list (imho) is Lupe Velez

screens_feature1-2.jpg

> I do enjoy Elizabeth especially in Elephant Walk and Cleopatra. And Myrna is certainly a beauty, but i would classify her as a redhead.

True, Myrna's auburn locks could put her easily in the red.

I loved her in Mogambo and especially in The Night of the Iguana. I think she's one of the most underrated stars in terms of acting ability. People tend to put more of an emphasis on her beauty, which is out of this world, but they don't always remember that she was a very talented actress. Even Gene Tierney said that Ava Gardner stole the show in Mogambo. She said the reason Ava was the real star was not because she was more beautiful than Grace Kelly, but because she could ACT.

And the ONLY thing I have in common with BEAUTIFUL Ava is I've been to Australia too.

Message was edited by: harlowcutie11

She was good in those, harlowcutie, and also in *Show Boat*, I thought, even if they dubbed her singing. I'd also mention *The Killers*, where she played femme fatale.

If you or anyone here has any Ava photos they'd like to post at the TCM fans Social Network, I'm sure we would all be grateful.

(for those not already registered, the address is http://tcmfans.ning.com)

> {quote:title=harlowcutie11 wrote:}{quote}

> I loved her in Mogambo and especially in The Night of the Iguana. I think she's one of the most underrated stars in terms of acting ability. People tend to put more of an emphasis on her beauty, which is out of this world, but they don't always remember that she was a very talented actress. Even Gene Tierney said that Ava Gardner stole the show in Mogambo. She said the reason Ava was the real star was not because she was more beautiful than Grace Kelly, but because she could ACT.

>

Hi HC!

I completely agree, which is one of the main reasons I started

this thread. Though it's hard to get over how gorgeous she

was, I am mostly drawn to her fire and warm naturalism in

her best work. She is so amazingly loose and comfortable

in her role as "Honey Bear Kelly", that it remains one of

my top ten favorite performances by an actress.

> And the ONLY thing I have in common with BEAUTIFUL Ava is I've been to Australia too.

>

> Message was edited by: harlowcutie11

:D I still haven't gone "down under" but it's been a dream of mine to

visit there. How wonderful that you've been---did you like it?