Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

All About AVA

MissGoddess

I thought it worth mentioning that the TCM Classic Film Festival

will be showing the restored Pandora and the Flying Dutchman.

I hope some indication will be given at that time if there will be

a new DVD release. The print on the current DVD is very murky

and dark.

http://www.tcm.com/festival/#/home/index

"Part of the Film Foundation tribute, the restored PANDORA AND THE FLYING DUTCHMAN (1951), with introduction by Angela Allen, who did film continuity on the film."

Wish I could attend.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

An early reminder that *Ava* is TCM's Star of the Month next month in November.

Below is a selection of her films they will be showing (all times Eastern):

Thursday November 4, 2010

8:00 PM *The Killers* (1946)

An insurance investigator uncovers a string of crimes when he tries to find a murdered boxer's beneficiary. Cast: Burt Lancaster, Ava Gardner, Edmond O'Brien. Dir: Robert Siodmak. BW-102 mins, TV-14, CC

10:00 PM *Pandora and the Flying Dutchman* (1951)

A Spanish temptress falls for a haunted ship's captain. Cast: James Mason, Ava Gardner, Nigel Patrick. Dir: Albert Lewin. C-122 mins,

Friday, November 5, 2010

12:15 AM *Show Boat* (1951)

Riverboat entertainers find love, laughs and hardships as they sail along "Old Man River." Cast: Ava Gardner, Howard Keel, Kathryn Grayson. Dir: George Sidney. C-108 mins, TV-G, CC

2:15 AM *Knights Of The Round Table* (1953)

Queen Guinevere is torn between love for her husband and Sir Lancelot. Cast: Robert Taylor, Ava Gardner, Mel Ferrer. Dir: Richard Thorpe. C-116 mins, TV-G, CC, Letterbox Format, DVS

Thursday, November 11, 2010

8:00 PM *Mogambo* (1953)

In this remake of Red Dust, an African hunter is torn between a lusty showgirl and a married woman. Cast: Clark Gable, Ava Gardner, Grace Kelly. Dir: John Ford. C-116 mins, TV-PG, CC, DVS

10:00 PM *The Barefoot Contessa* (1954)

A Spanish dancer becomes an international star but still longs to get her feet in the dirt. Cast: Humphrey Bogart, Ava Gardner, Edmond O'Brien. Dir: Joseph L. Mankiewicz. C-130 mins, TV-G, CC

Friday, November 12, 2010

12:15 AM *Bhowani Junction* (1956)

An Anglo-Indian beauty falls for a British officer as her country fights for independence. Cast: Ava Gardner, Stewart Granger, Bill Travers. Dir: George Cukor. C-110 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

2:15 AM *The Little Hut* (1957)

A neglected wife is shipwrecked on a desert island with her husband and her would-be lover. Cast: Ava Gardner, Stewart Granger, David Niven. Dir: Mark Robson. C-90 mins, TV-14, CC, Letterbox Format

Thursday, November 18, 2010

8:00 PM *The Naked Maja* (1959)

Romantic biography of the Spanish painter Goya and his relationship with the Duchess of Alba. Cast: Ava Gardner, Anthony Franciosa, Amedeo Nazzari. Dir: Henry Koster. C-113 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format

10:00 PM *On the Beach* (1959)

After a nuclear war, U.S. sailors stationed in Australia deal with the end of civilization. Cast: Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Fred Astaire. Dir: Stanley Kramer. BW-134 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

Friday, November 19, 2010

12:30 AM *The Angel Wore Red* (1960)

A priest and a prostitute fall in love during the Spanish Civil War. Cast: Ava Gardner, Dirk Bogarde, Joseph Cotten. Dir: Nunnally Johnson. BW-99 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

2:15 AM *55 Days At Peking* (1963)

An American major leads the defense against Chinese revolutionaries in 1900 Peking. Cast: Charlton Heston, David Niven, Ava Gardner. Dir: Nicholas Ray. C-162 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format

5:00 AM *The Hucksters* (1947)

A war veteran fights for honesty in the advertising game. Cast: Clark Gable, Deborah Kerr, Ava Gardner. Dir: Jack Conway. BW-116 mins, TV-PG, CC

7:00 AM *She Went To The Races* (1945)

A pretty scientist with a system for horse-race betting falls in love with a trainer. Cast: James Craig, Frances Gifford, Ava Gardner. Dir: Willis Goldbeck. BW-86 mins, TV-G

8:30 AM *Two Girls And A Sailor* (1944)

Singing sisters create a World War II canteen and become rivals for the same man. Cast: June Allyson, Van Johnson, Gloria DeHaven. Dir: Richard Thorpe. BW-124 mins, TV-G, CC

10:45 AM *Three Men In White* (1944)

Young doctors compete for a prestigious position as Dr. Gillespie's assistant. Cast: Lionel Barrymore, Van Johnson, Marilyn Maxwell. Dir: Willis Goldbeck. BW-85 mins, TV-G, CC

12:15 PM *Music For Millions* (1944)

A pregnant musician awaits her husband's return from World War II. Cast: Margaret O'Brien, June Allyson, Jimmy Durante. Dir: Henry Koster. BW-118 mins, TV-G, CC

2:15 PM *Maisie Goes To Reno* (1944)

On a trip to Reno, a Brooklyn showgirl tries to stop a soldier and his wife from divorcing. Cast: Ann Sothern, John Hodiak, Ava Gardner. Dir: Harry Beaumont. BW-90 mins, TV-G, CC

4:00 PM *The Great Sinner* (1949)

A young man succumbs to gambling fever. Cast: Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Ethel Barrymore. Dir: Robert Siodmak. BW-110 mins, TV-PG, CC

6:00 PM *East Side, West Side* (1949)

A chic New York couple is torn apart by a seductive model. Cast: Barbara Stanwyck, James Mason, Ava Gardner. Dir: Mervyn LeRoy. BW-108 mins, TV-G, CC

Thursday, November 25, 2010

8:00 PM *The Night Of The Iguana* (1964)

A defrocked priest surrenders to the sins of the flesh in a Mexican hotel. Cast: Richard Burton, Deborah Kerr, Ava Gardner. Dir: John Huston. BW-118 mins, TV-14, CC, Letterbox Format

10:00 PM *Seven Days In May* (1964)

An American military officer discovers his superiors are planning a military coup. Cast: Kirk Douglas, Burt Lancaster, Fredric March. Dir: John Frankenheimer. BW-118 mins, TV-14, CC, Letterbox Format

Friday, November 26, 2010

12:00 AM *Mayerling* (1968)

True story of Austria's Crown Prince Rudolph and his tragic love for a commoner. Cast: Omar Sharif, Catherine Deneuve, James Mason. Dir: Terence Young. C-127 mins, TV-14, Letterbox Format

2:15 AM *The Life And Times Of Judge Roy Bean* (1972)

A self-appointed judge cleans up a corrupt western town twice. Cast: Paul Newman, Ava Gardner, Jacqueline Bisset. Dir: John Huston. C-123 mins, TV-14, Letterbox Format

4:30 AM Ride, Vaquero! (1953)

Ranchers in New Mexico have to face Indians and bandits. Cast: Robert Taylor, Ava Gardner, Howard Keel. Dir: John Farrow. C-90 mins, TV-PG, CC

6:15 AM *Lone Star* (1952)

A frontiersman helps out with Texas's fight for independence from Mexico. Cast: Clark Gable, Ava Gardner, Lionel Barrymore. Dir: Vincent Sherman. BW-95 mins, TV-PG, CC

8:00 AM *My Forbidden Past* (1951)

A beauty with a skeleton in her closet seeks revenge on the suitor who jilted her. Cast: Ava Gardner, Melvyn Douglas, Robert Mitchum. Dir: Robert Stevenson. BW-70 mins, TV-PG, CC

9:15 AM *The Bribe* (1949)

A sultry singer tries to tempt a federal agent from the straight-and-narrow. Cast: Robert Taylor, Ava Gardner, Charles Laughton. Dir: Robert Z. Leonard. BW-98 mins, TV-PG, CC

T-H-A-N-K Y-O-U! I totally forgot about Ava's month next month. My God!!! That was a close call.

I think the film I'm most looking forward to seeing is her in "Pandora..." I remember seeing that

so long ago...and finding Ava Gardner just absolutely stunning-looking in that film.

But Ava AND Frances Gifford?? When...WHEN???

As a reminder or precursor of the beauty that is AVA...for those who don't go down to the Noir sec-tion, check out this tribute to femme fatale. It's what you posted for Ollie, Miss G.

Ava should be on the cover. Here it is her month and TCM doesn't put her on the guides cover. I find that somewhat disrespectful. I'm glad she's the Star of the Month though. Looking forward to Bowhani Junction and On The Beach. I'll pretty much watch anything she is in.

• 2 weeks later...

oh drat, i missed it...i was wondering when the heck they would show something...ava seemed lost in all the moguls and movie stars hoopla.

all i've seen are many trailers for show boat (not a favorite). i hope i catch it later today when i get home.

Tonight's the night for PANDORA AND THE FLYING DUTCHMAN, with Ava looking like the goddess of beauty. Hope some of you will watch or record this. There's much to be said about this film, and opinions will be divided--though not about Ava's looks!

SHOW BOAT is also on tonight, with another of Ava's finest performances. No, she's not mixed race, but Ava connects with both the pain and the potential for goodness in her character.

It looks like the restored print of *Pandora*. gorgeous. I hope many tune in, I thikn it's a remarkable film and we had a nice discussion on it some pages back in this thread (my screencaps are not from the restored print, though).

For me, Ava's is the best and most real character in *Show Boat*. I get annoyed when they leave her to focus on the others. Beautiful songs, of course.

julie being found out & forced to leave, and the following set-piece of her leaving as joe sings 'old man river', is the most moving part of the film.

ava and rita hayworth are among my top favorite stars. both jolt the senses with their innate eroticism, both are devastatingly beautiful, yet both are extremely vulnerable onscreen.

i will look forward to the ava festival every thursday this month.

hi marcco!

> {quote:title=marcco44 wrote:}{quote}

> julie being found out & forced to leave, and the following set-piece of her leaving as joe sings 'old man river', is the most moving part of the film.

>

i completely agree. they are the scenes that i will stop and watch when i can.

> ava and rita hayworth are among my top favorite stars. both jolt the senses with their innate eroticism, both are devastatingly beautiful, yet both are extremely vulnerable onscreen.

>

i like your comparison with rita. i enjoy both ladies, especially that vulnerability you mention. it makes them sympathetic, real, and frankly, it's a quality that i think is indespensible in a star.

> i will look forward to the ava festival every thursday this month.

i hope you'll share your impressions here, if you like. :)

Ma'am she is supernatural. Cukor is "loving" her with that camera. I've never found her more ravishing and she was gorgeous in "Pandora and the Flying Dutchman."

And I'm happy to see Georgie handling big crowds like David Lean.

Funny...the movie's been on over an hour, and Granger is such a cold fish to her. The British!

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Ma'am she is supernatural. Cukor is "loving" her with that camera. I've never found her more ravishing and she was gorgeous in "Pandora and the Flying Dutchman."

>

those colors of India really set off her beauty.

> Funny...the movie's been on over an hour, and Granger is such a cold fish to her. The British!

i know! it's crazy! he didn't even have count vincenzo's excuse! :P

Archived