Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

All About AVA

MissGoddess

?Because I was promoted as a sort of a siren and played all those sexy broads, people made the mistake of thinking I was like that off the screen. They couldn't have been more wrong.? Ava Gardner

avadomestic.jpg

Eve Arden, in her autobiography, Three Phases of Eve(St. Vincent's Press, New York, 1985, page 67):

"Universal offered me a part in One Touch of Venus, starring Ava Gardner . . . .

When she first stepped on the set, I thought she was certainly one of the most beautiful girls I'd ever seen. Those [catlike green eyes]

looked me over, and then she smiled. Draped all in white, with her dark curls piled

on her head, she shamed the statue from which she turned to flesh. . . ."

AvaasPygmalion.jpg

"I haven't taken an overdose of sleeping pills and called my agent. I haven't been in jail, and I don't go running

to the psychiatrist every two minutes. That's something of an accomplishment these days."

Ava Gardner

Avawithmagazine.jpg

Great topic, MissGoddess. I've been a big fan of Ava's for a long time, and she is one of my favorite actresses of all time. She had natural beauty and it's easy to see why she was given the nickname: 'The World's Most Beautiful Animal'. She also had a natural grace about her, style, and class--a real Southern Belle. One of the things that I liked about her was that she had a real zest for life and wasn't afraid to have a good time. She really knew how to live. She even has a her own museum here in North Carolina known as the Ava Garnder Museum. I've been there before and it has a lot of great artifacts from her career and private life. I've seen most of her films and have enjoyed every single one of them--some more than others though. To me, she really was a great actress, and I just wish I could of had the chance to actually know her, I'm sure she would have made a wonderful friend.

Here are a few photos that I've found:

ava49si9.jpg

ava50bl2.jpg

ava13ig6.jpg

ava52xl4.jpg

ava35su2.jpg

I really like this one because it was done in a creative fashion, and I like how the colors blend together.

ava64zx8.jpg

ava27zx4.png

Hi, Miss G -- This was easily my favorite thread today. The combination of quotes with photos was sensational. It really helped present Ava's personality and beauty at the same time. You put on a show, my dear. Nicely done.

You will get a kick out of her in East Side, West Side. Ava is as dangerous and sexual as the law (and the Code) would allow in her role as "Isabel" (as if Gene's own Isabel wasn't bad enough). I actually find it startling, she's so blatant. And I cannot even imagine how James Mason held it together in those scenes, he certainly makes a convincing looking basket case and I suspect it's not acting.

You certainly know my tastes. I'm pretty darn obvious, though. I will be getting the Stanwyck box set later this year. East Side, West Side is the film that attracts me the most in the set. Your approval stamp always goes a long way with me.

I think Barbara and Van Heflin are so good together. I'm in the minority on this but I actually think he's my favorite leading man for her, aside from Gary (they were also great in BF's Daughter and of course, Martha Ivers). He behaves like he really understands her and even if he doesn't, he likes her anyway.

You're definitely in the minority on this. Van Heflin doesn't seem to get much love. I've only seen a couple of his films. I usually start the film with a "meh" feeling about him but I end with a good feeling about his performance and acting style. He's rather unorthodox, which I like.

My favorite Ava quotes:

?Because I was promoted as a sort of a siren and played all those sexy broads, people made the mistake of thinking I was like that off the screen. They couldn't have been more wrong.? Ava Gardner

"I suffered, I really suffered, with all three of my husbands. And I tried damn hard with

all three, starting each marriage certain that it was going to last until the end of my life.

Yet none of them lasted more than a year or two.? Ava Gardner

"Some people say Liz and I are whores, but we are saints. We do not hide our loves hypocritically, and when in love, we are loyal and faithful to our men." (On the subject of her multiple marriages)

?I think the main reason my marriages failed is that I always loved too well but never wisely.? Ava Gardner

?I don't understand people who like to work and talk about it like it was some sort of **** duty. Doing nothing feels like floating on warm water to me. Delightful, perfect.? Ava Gardner

"I have only one rule in acting - trust the director and give him heart and soul.? Ava Gardner

?After my screen test, the director clapped his hands gleefully and yelled: "She can't talk! She can't act! She's sensational!" Ava Gardner

Of all the quotes I've read on this board, I think Ava's connect with me the most... by far. She's definitely my kind of woman.

"Deep down, I'm pretty superficial." Ava Gardner (I love this lady!)

:)

Those catlike green eyes

Ahhh, my favorite.

Hey, Lauren -- I see that you've got this photo thing down now. And, boy, I'm tickled that you do. Nice adds.

One of the things that I liked about her was that she had a real zest for life and wasn't afraid to have a good time. She really knew how to live.

So why is it that I'm not surprised you point this out?

HOT DAMN! Forgive me folks, but what else can one say about Ava. I'm not as eloquent as the quote from Eve Arden, but she summed her up nicely. Ava, especially in these shots (the one in the posting below sittingon the chaise lounge looking directly into the camera has scorched my eyes) is unbelievably hot (sorry Rita, Lana and Marilyn) and I think Mickey and Artie Shaw were damned lucky!! And though we sat in the darkened theatres gazing at Ava from afar, we were lucky too.

Hi Lauren! Thank you so much for your post and for the wonderful photographs! Many of them are new to me and she's just more breathtaking from one to the next. What I find most attractive as a person about Ava is her refreshing candor and honesty. She speaks from her guts and I wish I could be more like her in that respect. She never pretended to be anything other than what she was always inside, that barefoot kid from Grab Town (who just happened to be one of the most beautiful women of our time).

P.S. If I ever get to beat it down to the Carolinas, I fully intend to visit Ava's museum---I visit their website now and then and saw that they recently did a little film festival in her honor. That would have been fun to see.

Ciao,

Miss G

Frank,

Isn't Ava a hoot 'n a holler? (to use her vernacular). She is one of the two or three actresses in the world I would like to have known. You might also be delighted to know that she was the only Hollywood actress Grace invited to her little Monaco shindig. They were very close friends. Which says alot (of good things) about both ladies.

I have many more gorgeous pictures and will try to dig up more quotes as I go along. So stay tuned!

Again, thank you so much *c21de* for those stunning stills. There seems to be no end to her beauty. And your website is an astonishing collection of movie photos!

Message was edited by: MissGoddess

Ava divorced Mickey Rooney on May 21, 1943, the same day her mother died of breast cancer.

----------

At age 36, she developed a phobia about being photographed and was convinced her career was doomed.

----------

Rolled her first cigarette when she was five.

----------

Humphrey Bogart nicknamed her the Boon Hill Gypsy. Frank Sinatra's old pet name for her was Chi-Chi.

----------

When MGM gave her star status, she was given Norma Shearer's old dressing room, the largest occupied by an MGM actress. The three-room suite consisted of a boudoir, bathroom, kitchen and the actual dressing room, which was lined with mirrors, light bulbs and closets.

----------

She bears the distinction of being MGM's final mould of a screen legend.

----------

Her brother Raymond was killed at sixteen months when a rifle shell exploded.

----------

Her full name is Ava Lavinia Gardner. She was named after her grandmother, Ava, who died giving birth to her nineteenth child, Lavinia.

----------

When she died, she left her beloved Welsh corgi, Morgan, his own maid and limo, plus a monthly allowance.

----------

Her marriage to Artie Shaw lasted only seven months.

----------

Married Mickey Rooney, Artie Shaw and Frank Sinatra. Her three husbands had nineteen wives between them; Rooney with eight, Shaw with seven and Sinatra with four.

----------

In 1953 Ava and her then husband were both nominated for an Oscar. Ava for Mogambo and Frank for From Here To Eternity. Frank won, Ava lost to Audrey Hepburn for Roman Holiday.

----------

Was born by Caesarean section on Christmas Eve 1922.

----------

When Ava heard Sinatra had married Mia Farrow, she exclaimed, "Hah! I always knew Frank would wind up in bed with a boy." (LOL!)

----------

YoungAvaGardnermodelingshot4.jpg

Archived