Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE FALL OF AMC

Guest FRANCO, WILL

Guest FRANCO, WILL

Now that AMC have fallen to the same faith as Bravo, who knows what kind of program they will soon air between useless commercial interruptions. I foresaw this move some months ago, but I never thought it would actually come to that. I guess I should have known when they began airing more comtempory films than the actual classic films from the 20's-50's which their reputation was known for . Sadly, with them out of the way, I guess TCM is now the only medium to watch great classic movies without having to bothered by massive commercial interruptions between showings. I hope TCM never fall into the spell by prioritize profits and disregard its customers' needs, thus secumb to AMC/Bravo's level. Starting next month, I will cancel my subscription from AMC and I hope you all do the same so that any possible thought that TCM might have in converting their network into another commercial ads heaven, may have to think twice before proceeding. WILLF764@AOL.COM

Guest wyckoff, ileana

i have to say that the amc change has really affected me! it's made me angry! i was a "rabid" ;) amc watcher, in fact, it took me YEARS to warm up to tcm, which i thought was riding on the coattails of amc and copying their format; what can i say? mea culpa! what an error in judgement! amc is neither hot nor cold~ their library is of movies too new or obscure to be classics or consists of not new enough, so to speak~ to be competitive with other networks; now i instinctly shake my head in desbelief every time i take a look at their lineup. oh gosh, may this travesty never happen at tcm! i get jittery just from seeing them play some movies i consider "too new" to be in the lineup, LOL! amc really has let me down. my tv is now mostly on my tcm, with an occasional move to tvland~ ;) sorry for all the ranting! i'm glad someone brought this subject up~ happy tcm watching!

AMC used to be my channel, and then when TCM came around I would switch between the two, then after only a few years I realized TCM was far superior (even before the changes at AMC). I could see that AMC was going downhill when they started airing commercials before and after their movies,that, and the fact that they played the same movies over and over again...overkill!! RIP AMC...we will NOT miss you! TCM IS THE BEST!!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Burlant, Dick

When AMC went down I went into a panic ! I,thought,"what if this should happen to TCM ?!!".Besides going into a state of depression I would have find a buyer for my TV set. Dickby

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Wilson, Rick

I've always been faithful to TCM and AMC was jelly on my bread. The demise of AMC is truly sad; there are plenty of other cable channels playing crappy reruns. It was so nice to be able to have a choice of two channels. Keep up the good work TCM there are millions of people out there that realize good film does not rely on **** and special effects.

• 1 month later...

I too, cannot even tolerate watching a single film on AMC with the commercial interruptions. I remember commercials initially started to interrupted ONCE in the middle of a film, then suddenly every 5 minutes or so. AMC also started getting films from the depths of the film pile. Films made by "Azalea pictures" like "Creatures of Destruction" and "Mars Needs Women"...I knew something was terribly wrong. Anyway, it is interesting to note that many cable channels continue to have AMC and they don't have TCM, so many lovers of the Golden years are missing out big time!!

It is true that many cable subscribers cannot even get TCM, and are instead subjected to the crap which AMC has the nerve to show. I was just writing about this yesterday in another forum - living on Long Island, I know that the Long Island cable company called "Cablevision" owns AMC, as well as Bravo, and they will not carry TCM because it is competition for stations which they own. So the millions of people that live on Long Island and in Queens and Brooklyn who are under the thumb of cablevision cannot receive TCM unless they get a sattelite dish. I had to get one because after asking Cablevision many times to carry TCM, I got tired of hearing stupid lip service from them, which basically meant that they won't carry it. So there are millions of potential TCM viewers who are being deprived, because of an obstinate cable company. I personally know people who live here on Long Island who would watch TCM, if they could get it through cable - I can only imagine how many other people who like classic films would watch, and therefore increase TCM's viewership. It is a shame.

I too am upset about AMC. TCM is now the only true "classic movies" station.

Many cities in the area where I live (Southern California) do not offer TCM, but rather have AMC. Right now we have TCM (our city's cable offers it) but we are looking to buy a house. I am definitely trying to find a house in a city that offers TCM through its cable. I don't think I could do without my daily dose of Turner Classic Movies and I hope I won't have to do without.

MovieJoe, I know exactly what you're going through because I live here in Manhattan and until recently, I had to put up with buddies who lived in lower Manhattan who raved and raved about TCM while I--who live up yonder in the great big Upper Eastside--couldn't get it. Well, two years ago we FINALLY got the requisite digital wiring into our building. TCM finally beamed in over my 27-inch Panasonic TV screen and let me tell you, I've been one happy little movie freak since then. It's really like having an incredible movie repertory theater in your den. When I first came to NYC 20 years ago, I used to haunt all those old movie revival houses--like the Regency, the Thalia, Theater 80, etc.--but the VCR killed'em all. Even two years ago, AMC was steadily sliding down hill. I noticed AMC was showing edited movies, almost no goldie-oldies, no silents, etc. And when I first started watching it, the adorable Bob Dorian was host. And the real kicker is that it boasts of showing the Little Rascal comedies--but, it's showing censored, heavily edited Little Rascal comedies. About 50 of them are locked away because of "racial insensitivity"--which is hysterical since the Little Rascals pioneered in integrated casts. TCM is the ultimate old movie palace.

I am with you all. I was somewhat disappointed when I noticed that AMC would repeat the same classic films. I couldn't wait for our cable company to finally upgrade. We received TCM about 6 months ago and I haven't been disappointed yet. I was even able to suggest movies, and see them aired. TV is so trashy these days, I prefer shows from a more simpler time, and TCM is fulfilling my TV needs. Good bye AMC. May you and your commercials live happily ever after. I haven't tuned into you since you started that junk. TCM my heart belongs to you!

I have to confess that I still watch AMC. How could I resist such films as "Sunset Boulevard", "The Grapes of Wrath", "Picnic", "Peyton Place", "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn", "The Ox-Bow Incident", "My Darling Clemtine" etc. As a true blue movie buff I can put up with the lousy commercials.

I was a big AMC fan for years, since it started in the 80's. Though I must admit that some of the hosts they have had over the years have been, well, not very good, pandering to older viewers as opposed to talking to those of us that enjoy good, classic movies..and some not so classic but good fun anyway.

Now that AMC has taken the path of TNT, that used to be great for classic movies with commercials, I rarely watch it because I hate commercial interruptions.

For those of you that haven't noticed, TCM is now advertising new movies between their movies. Is this the start of something with them?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so glad to see so many people agree that AMC has become such a disappointment. I was one that only watched AMC when we first got satellite. About the time we got it, AMC ran a great Alfred Hitchcock film preservation festival that ran almost his entire film career totally commericial-free PLUS the remastered version of Rear Window (for which my screename is dedicated) which made AMC number one in my book. Slowly AMC's programming became very repetitive. Then they started commercialing once in the middle of the movie, then I started seeing practically 48 hours of Raiders of the Lost Ark straight. What person in their right mind that works at AMC thinks that ANY person would be entertained by this???? TCM obviously has the upper-hand in having the rights to almost if not all MGM films (which had all the stars we know and love), so TCM is definitely where my television stays. There have been numerous complaints from other viewers printed in our local tv guide, and I know thousands of viewers are sending emails and letters telling them what for. People, as long as it brings them money, they aren't going to care what they have to show or who watches it. Let's just hope that TCM is seeing the reactions of the cable-world towards AMC and realizing that they have to stay the channel they are- somehow.

The way AMC used to be, and the way TCM is now, is the way EVERY cable channel SHOULD be: Commercial-free. Just think of the tremendous boatloads of money that monthly cable and satellite subscribers are pouring into the broadcasters' pockets.

That was one early promise of cable: commercial-free TV. Now many of us are actually PAYING to have salesman screaming in our living rooms. P.T. Barnum would be proud.

I began watching AMC back in the late 80's---when it was the way TCM is NOW. They showed excellent movies from the 20's 30's 40's etc.. But as with ALL businesses and it IS a business things change. I am very sad it has come to this but with TCM as competition for all those years....something had to give. Someone had to change and it turned out to be AMC. They couldn't compete with Ted's millions and his ownership of sooooo many movies. But I really get mad when people laugh at AMC's demise!!! They did it FIRST and the BEST for a while.

I agree with you 100% It is sad to not be able to enjoy AMC any more and what is really bad is how one time devoted fans now see fit to poke fun at AMC in its fall yes they(AMC) are sell outs ,HOWEVER in my case if it was not for AMC I would have never discovered TCM and for that I will always remember the good times , and hope I never have to say the same about my now 1 and only enjoyable station TCM .

Are these knuckleheads still calling themselves "American Movie Classics" or are they sticking to AMC?

I glanced at their movie schedule: "The Incredible Shrinking Woman", "Smokey And The Bandit II", "Valley Girl".

Sounds like American Movie Classics to me...

I desperately hope it's NOT the start of something! I've also noticed TCM advertising brand-new movies in between movie showings. And I don't like it at all! All it really is is a commercial - these new movies haven't been seen yet, so how can they possibly be considered classics?

I greatly rued the day AMC went down the tube - I liked Bob Dorian and REMEMBER WENN - but since getting TCM on our satellite, I don't miss AMC at all.

I am surprised you call yourself 'a true film buff'. First of all, every single one of the movies you name are shown quite frequently on TCM. I might also point out that many of the films shown on ACM (probably one or more of the ones you name) are credited on ACM as being from the TCM library.

But, my real point is how can you call yourself a real film buff when the movies you watch on ACM (and all other non-TCM channels) are not only interrupted frequently by commercial breaks but are almost always edited mercilessly to make room for commercial breaks as frequently and that last as long as the numbed minds of the viewers can possibly tolerate. Another, truly frustrating, more recent development is the intrusion of commercials into the movie itself with the 'cutesy', unimaginative trailers throughout the movie and the advertisements of coming attractions at the end, making the credits impossible to read.

If the greedy, insensitive butchers who operate the channels don't have any respect for the creative efforts of the movie-makers, how can 'a true movie buff' continue to support their bland offerings.

I have one more **** in this regard. How can a tv channel be so insensitive to their viewers as to schedule and advertise a movie only to break in halfway or more through the movie to show a ball game for all the sports nerds with no explanation or intention of every completing the movie. Or, if the boring, unexciting baseball game drags on beyond showtime, they will inform the viewer that they are joining the originally scheduled program in progress. (WGN, the so-called SuperChannel does this all the time.) Now, who wants to see part of a movie?

TCM is all we have left. If it ever falls prey to the new breed of tv executives(?) or is bought up by one of the monstrous cable/network monoliths, then I'm afraid 'true movie buffs' will become a dying breed.

• 1 month later...

I too loved AMC but now stick exclusively to TCM. I think the day they lost me was when they show "Mother Jugs and Speed". I knew then that they were never going back. I was a bit dismayed when I saw "Sugarland Express" being shown on TCM this month. Then I saw on the web site it was for a particular genre of directors. Whew! Please don't ever change TCM.