Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE FALL OF AMC

Guest FRANCO, WILL

"Television for movie people", whaaat ????

"Movies for television people" would be more accurate.

AMC's move down-market with formatted, commercially interupted second-rate movies is no doudt an attempt to appeal to the broad-based television audience. Is it working for them ?, I guess I would have to see their financial reports.

However, as a concession to "movie people" they do show the commercials in letter-box format.

• 4 weeks later...

What is this I've been hearing about TCM suing AMC? I heard it was because of their drastic change in programming breaking some kind of contract. Does anyone know what this is about? I would love for AMC to go belly-up- I hate that channel and cannot imagine they would have more viewers now than they did back in 2000.

I totally agree. American Classic Movies is horrible! I miss the hosting, the black and whites, the commerical free movies, and I really HATE that they show the same movie over, and over, and over for like 2 months!

Thanks Turner Classic Movies for showin' 'em how it's done right! Don't change.

J :)

• 1 month later...

I am two months late in offering my opinion on the topic about "The Fall of AMC". This topic has cooled considerably since nobody has replied to this topic since January 3, 2004. I am wondering why all of you who have reminisce about the good old days of AMC, given your thoughtful opinions about their program scheduling, their host for the movies and inserting commercials during the movie why are you writing the "TCM Forum". Did anyone try to post their opinion on the "AMC Forum"?

I took a look at the "AMC Forum". They have their discussion board formatted in such a way that you couldn't really criticize them. I guess this is a way of protecting themselves and is a sly form of censorship. You can go to "Contact AMC", click on "other" and feel free to rant about how they turn a once great classic movie cable channel into a cable movie disaster. Whether AMC will post your remarks or even answer the posting is questionable.

The "AMC" of five, ten years ago is never coming back. The words which have been written on this issue in "TCM" nation about the displeasure of this turn of events will not do any good unless they are placed in the right forum, the "AMC Forum".

• 4 weeks later...

It's not the commercials that are so terrible. It's the fact that AMC simply doesn't show many classic movies anymore. How in the world does "Pinata: Survival Island (2002)" qualify as something that should be shown alongside any of the greats? They are showing complete contemporary garbage lately. I too seeth with anger when thinking about what happened to AMC.

jonathan

It's okay to feel nostalgic over the "old" AMC; after all, for many years they were the only game in town and many of us saw numerous films for the first time on that channel. I actually remember back in 1983 before they were called AMC. The channel was called MOVIETIME and showed the same two movies twice in a single evening, then signed off!

Once TCM came on the air there was no question that AMC was the lesser channel of the two. The majority of the films they showed over the years were from RKO and FOX and even then, their choices were limited. They repeated the same movies endlessly. Bob Dorian, while probably a very nice man, often had trouble reading the cue cards and never seemed all that knowledgeable when he tried to wing it without them. I'm sorry, wear rose colored glasses if you wish, and bemoan AMC's current sorry state, but NEVER think they were in any way, shape or form as good or better a channel than TCM.

Rather than have the old AMC revived, I would love for TCM to add a second channel.

• 10 years later...

I'm glad you mentioned Nick Clooney.  He was the best thing about AMC.  I understand he unsuccessfully tried to get into politics after his AMC gig.  But he definitely was the classiest thing about the channel.  How I'd love to have him back.  He'd be great on TCM.  And Bob Dorian--well, I never cared that much for him. 

Terrence

It.has been a revelation reading these posts. And as.grateful as I am about TCM not changing, with assurances that their contract, plus their "getting" the outcry over AMCs changing, I cant help but worry with all the talk of Murdoch buying out Time Warner. After FMC shows their classics for one half day only, and while still commercial free, show a limited amount of films over and over. The new owner may not be the best steward of the TCM (actually AMC) model. His bottom line is the bottom line.

I'm glad you mentioned Nick Clooney.  He was the best thing about AMC.  I understand he unsuccessfully tried to get into politics after his AMC gig.  But he definitely was the classiest thing about the channel.  How I'd love to have him back.  He'd be great on TCM.  And Bob Dorian--well, I never cared that much for him. 

Terrence

I had hoped after AMC Nick Clooney would be offered a role on TCM--present a series, do interviews, something.  He had such a lovely, natural presence, and was pretty darn handsome to boot!

One day, several years ago, I turned on AMC as was my usual custom. The moment I saw a commercial break, I changed the channel.

I have never gone back. Not once, for even a second.

Thank goodness. I was beginning to think I was the only one who did that. I put up with commercials between the films, but once they started the "commercial intermission" AMC lost me forever.

• 2 weeks later...

What is this I've been hearing about TCM suing AMC? I heard it was because of their drastic change in programming breaking some kind of contract. Does anyone know what this is about? I would love for AMC to go belly-up- I hate that channel and cannot imagine they would have more viewers now than they did back in 2000.

What I remember about a suit was when AMC changed their format there were one or more cable providers who got after them for breach of contract. Their agreement said they were one thing and had changed to something else. I don't think TCM would or even could have had a basis to sue.

There is a story in the AMC Wikipedia listing where AMC sued Turner Entertainment for breach of contract of licensing of RKO films but I don't think you mean this action.

• 3 years later...

I remember when AMC was like TCM showing classic movies.  It's a matter of fact, they were first, but failed to gauge the market.  At the time, around 1986, I remember falling in love with the channel and watched a lot of it.  I was only 13 years old.  I've always loved old movies and things from the past from a young age.  When AMC all of a sudden changed their format a few years later,  I was very disappointed.  But then TCM came around and I've been watching TCM ever since.  I am currently waiting for TCM to stream a standalone app so that I don't have to pay for so many channels I don't need just to get TCM bundled with it.  On another note,  I noticed years ago that TCM in Europe and in Latin America do not show classic old movies like TCM USA.  They are more like AMC turned into after changing formats to newer movies.  I am 46 years old now,  I come from a generation where no one knew this young of a crowd existed for this market back in the 80s.  Now we see that this newer generation is watching old movies, too.  I hope we can keep this up because these movies are very enjoyable.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, luisdonado said:

I remember when AMC was like TCM showing classic movies.  It's a matter of fact, they were first, but failed to gauge the market.  At the time, around 1986, I remember falling in love with the channel and watched a lot of it.  I was only 13 years old.  I've always loved old movies and things from the past from a young age.  When AMC all of a sudden changed their format a few years later,  I was very disappointed.  But then TCM came around and I've been watching TCM ever since.  I am currently waiting for TCM to stream a standalone app so that I don't have to pay for so many channels I don't need just to get TCM bundled with it.  On another note,  I noticed years ago that TCM in Europe and in Latin America do not show classic old movies like TCM USA.  They are more like AMC turned into after changing formats to newer movies.  I am 46 years old now,  I come from a generation where no one knew this young of a crowd existed for this market back in the 80s.  Now we see that this newer generation is watching old movies, too.  I hope we can keep this up because these movies are very enjoyable.  

Hi Luis. Welcome to the message boards. I agree that AMC changed (drastically) though I think it did show films from the golden age until the late 90s/early 2000s. Also, we should add that back in the late 80s and early 90s, there were no commercials on AMC. 

TCM borrowed a lot of its business model from the old AMC. Using older white male hosts, publishing a monthly magazine and having the Star of the Month feature--all those things originated on AMC.

9 hours ago, luisdonado said:

Up until about 4 or 5 years ago they would sporadically air some B&W films like Public Enemy but now they don't even do that. :(