Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Line Up at the Snack Bar!!

alix1929

Just some light-hearted fun here! When you were young, what was your favorite thing to buy from the snack bar to eat/drink during the movie? What is your favorite snack now? Or are you one of those people who can completely bypass the munchies and only watch the film?

(Sorry, gotta go...I smell the popcorn popping!)

My all time favorite as a kid were Snow Caps. Now I just focus on the movie - just a soda at most. After working in a movie theater and seeing how disgusting everything is, and how much half eaten stuff is thrown away, I can't bring myself to pay the prices for the "give me a heart attack" popcorn that they serve.

When I was a kid who went to the Saturday Matinee with a bunch of other kids in my neighborhood, Hot Dogs were the treat of choice, followed by a Brown Cow carmel sucker that lasted for a long time. These days I refuse to pay theatre prices for even a small bag of popcorn and a small soda. I take a snack of my own in a little baggie, and also my own bottle of Spring Water.

Too cheap to buy anything but popcorn;-) I still buy it most times I go to the theater or pop some when I watch at home (though not every night!) I'll usually sneak a can of coke (coca cola;-) in these days ... who wants to pay $2.50 (minimum?) for a drink?

When i was a kid the sixties i would go to the matinees

at the Rko and Valentine threatres in the Bronx,N.Y.C

right next door to the RKO threatre was a charcoal flamed

hamburger joint the biggest and tastest hamburger i ever

had as a little kid yum!yum!.... I can still taste it

it was a treat in my family to do this before we saw

the movie and once in the movie house we would order

a king size hot buttered pop corn to share and large cokes for every one! But i also had to order my milk

duds to top it off! I'm dating myself a bit but i

actually saw two musical groups that were fameous in the

sixities The Dave Clark Five and the Herman Hermits

in the RKO threatre. Publicity before their movie came on the screen or after the movie i can't remember for sure Such wonderful memories for satday matinees and

great airconditioning on a hot humid summer afternoon.

Lolite, I grew up in the same era. I remember in the early 60's you could go to the matinee in my town for a quarter. A dime for coke and another for a box of candy and you had an afternoon at the movies for under half a buck! And that included a travelogue ,a cartoon, a short subject, a 2 reel comedy such as the stooges or more rarely a Thelma Todd/Pasty Kelly plus the feature. Hard to believe that this was only 40 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

My ex-girlfriend and I saw BULWORTH while drinking some bourbon we snuck in. We thought the movie was great-we laughed the whole way through. I saw it some time later while sober and it is not great. It is not funny. I'll stick to popcorn and soda from now on.

• 1 month later...

When I was young my parents would buy Sno-caps (my personal favorite), Goobers & Raisinetts for the family to share. And we always had popcorn and cokes. Usually just two of each to split among the four of us. I just loved goin' to the movies, especially on a hot summer day. Oh, and I just remembered the "Lemonhead" incident. The ONE time I got Lemonheads, during a very quiet part of the movie (think it was Indiana Jones) I dropped my box of Lemonheads and since the theatre was slanted down you could hear those suckers rolling all the way down to the first row, hitting people's feet as they went. The theatre was packed and everybody looked around to see who the culprit was so my friends all pointed at me while laughin' their butts off. I wanted to die!!!

Now that I have my own kids whenever we go to the movies we make a stop to pick up some candy first. The prices are just ridiculas at the theatre now! And who wants a box of Raisinetts as big as their head?? Those boxes aren't just expensive, they are HUGE! I do break down and buy popcorn and a couple cokes. I can't smell that popcorn without havin' to get me some!

Just remembered this: Once while seeing the matinee while Iwas about 11, the guy next to me (a stranger) got chewed out by by an usher for having his feet up on the seat in front. As the usher turned to leave, I piped up"Chee, da biiig maaaan!" (I had just seen "O'Henry's Full House" and was enamored of the way Richard Widmark as a hood had said this line) Poor guy got dragged out of the theatre by the arm.

It's funny, it does not matter that I just finished the dinner part of a "Dinner and a Show" evening, I'll still buy a popcorn and pop. There is something about sitting in the dark with a huge screen in front of me, my popcorn and pop in hand that makes my movie going experience perfect no matter how full I already am.

Archived