Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is it about Joan Crawford? really? Fred Astaire?

Now please don't get mad but what is it about Joan Crawford that keeps people interested in her. I mean I can't see it. Maybe she was a product of her time that made her famous. But even today she's still the most talked about Classic Star. I'm sorry but I don't even see her to be that beautiful. She's funny-looking in a way, in a cute way. I just don't see it. I think she's remembered for the life she led, rather then her career. I wouldn't want to be remembered for doing what she did, I would try to hide it. She was certainly a movie star, not an actress. She was what you would call a star. The best of them I guess. But I just don't see the beauty. I saw her dancing with Fred Astaire. What do you all think? I think she did alright, but from Fred Astaire's face he looked like he was scared to dance with her, he looked as though he danced easier so Joan could keep up. Joan had abilities to dance, but she's so shallow, she wouldn't dance to hard because she wouldn't be caught dead sweating or her hair out of place.

The thing about Joan Crawford was that she was JOAN CRAWFORD. She was the ultimate star. Maybe she wasn't the most beautiful woman in films, and maybe she didn't lead the greatest personal life, but she was a great star, and worked very hard to become a great star, AND a great actress - and she proved her acting ability with "Mildred Pierce."

Another reason why she is so well remembered in general is because of "Mommie Dearest." The book was a big deal when it came out (from what I've heard), and the movie with Faye Dunaway overacting like crazy was a big hit.

I agree with you, Moviejoe. Joan Crawford reached stardome in Hollywood when that was what being in Hollywood was all about. And, there is certainly no way possible to question her work ethic and abililty to act. I refuse to allow what she did, or didn't do, in her personal life to tarnish my appreciation of her as an actress.

Moviejoe I know she worked hard laying down and stayind up. Well, true enough she was a star. But so was others. I don't see any difference from her being a star then the others. She didn't do anything more different. But stand and look glamourous and hook up with the right people to make it.

First let me say that I am *not* a huge fan of Ms. Crawford (see, I pledge my allegiance to Bette Davis =o) But I have to say that Joan Crawford was a strong woman.

Rosalind Russel said about her: "Joan Crawford behaved like a star. Some do, some don't...You know, when Joan came on the set, somebody came on the set."

She really was a survivor. I saw a recent documentary (at least i THINK it was a documentary) about her and I was quite impressed with the way that she worked hard to attain the status that she did, and I have to say that she really deserves respect. And she is actually a very *good* actress. I think that if you view her role in "The Women" as the snakey, slithery, slimey character she plays, and then view her in "Mildred Pierce" where she is so very vulnerable and yet so very heroic-- you'd be quite amazed at her range.

And about her beauty? Well, bear in mind: Joan Crawford was in the movies for YEARS. She first became a star during the silent era during which she was more of a dancer and she was quite pretty then-- even *I* have to admit that. She was perhaps not conventionally beautiful, but there WAS something about her and it is especially evident if you watch her in her silent films and especially in the 30s in pictures like "Grand Hotel", "Dancing Lady" and "The Women".

It's unfair to judge ANYONE's appearance by a film like "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane".

I've watched her, I still don't see. I don't hate her at all. I could ignore her. What is behaving like a star? That others haven't done? I could watch Ann Sheridan, Gene Tierney, Anita Page, Myrna Loy, Nina Mae McKinney, Fredi Washington, Ida Lupino, and Ginger Rogers forever, its something about them that moves me. Sometimes I watch them and don't want to watch. I've see Joan's films, never can watch them long. I guess she's alright, but she doesn't move me to estatics.

swngsoul, it boils down to personal taste. If you aren't that impressed with Joan Crawford then that's your personal opinion. I'm the same way about Audrey Hepburn - I can't figure out what the big deal is with her. She was just ok. As for Crawford, those of us that like her just wanted to come to her defense. And as littletramplover said, she WAS beautiful back in the 20's and early 30's, and back then she also had a killer body. My main reason for liking her is her acting ability that she worked at throughout her career, and is evident if you watch a wide range of her movies. I also respect the fact that she was a survivor in the Hollywood game, just like Bette Davis and Katherine Hepburn were - these were women who made it and stayed at the top long before it was fashionable to do so.

Joan, a killer body? Hmmm, I've seen better. I have to say Jean Harlow had beautiful shapely hips. Well I know it has to do with taste. But I look at everyone with an open eye. Like you, I don't understand Audrey Hepburn's status as the greatest actress. I guess you had to be there in that time to understand.