Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Film Inaccuracies

cjrogan2003

Haven't you noticed how INACCURATE films like "Bonnie & Clyde" are? The film is supposed to take place in the early 1930s, but Bonnie (Faye Dunaway) wears her hair like its from the 1960s! Haven't you noticed this mistake on this and other films? What are some other films like this that contain inaccurate hairstyles, costumes, etc.

IN HARMS WAY starring John Wayne, Kirk Douglas, Henry Fonda, and Patricia Neal takes place during WWII from 1941 onwards. In the film almost all of the women have Laurie Petrie style 1960's hairstyles. This is a big-budget motion picture directed by Otto Preminger. Were they unable to hire a hairstylist? Most/all of the people in the film lived in the 1940's, didn't they know what the hairstyles looked like then? It doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult to actually adopt a 40's hairstyle for the cast members.

One of the most common errors is to show people riding horses in ancient times using stirrups. These (to us) obvious items of tackle were not invented until the middle ages, which is why calvary and mounted knights did not become important until fairly recent times. Of course it's easy to see that it would be difficult to show large numbers of horsemen in movies WITHOUT them given the modern lack of people who could ride without 'em. Also in many films showing Roman legions in battle, the soldiers are wearing brass ceremonial armor which was usually only used at formal functions such as triumphs, parades etc.While in battle Roman troops wore practical (and strong) iron armour and chain mail. This would be like film makers in the future showing the battles of Iwo Jima and Guadalcanal fought by marines wearing their dress blues. Granted these are nit picky details but that's what the topic is about, right? :)

I have seen several medical inaccuracies in film. My favorite is when a patient is supposed to be on a ventilator and you can see the bellows of the spirometer rise and fall, (very dramatic), but the machine is not even hooked up to the person's airway.

Or, while not a classic film, "Doogie Howser" who worked the ER as a cardiology resident, had a $9 stethoscope.

Fun topic! Hairstyles and makeup seem to be the biggest offenders of period dress in film. Ever notice how just about every film made in the 50's and 60's has stars sporting the hair and make-up of the day no matter what era the film is set in? Especially those 1960's black-eyeliner cat eyes on the women! I crack up whenever I see a still from the Barbra Streisand vehicle ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER--there's Babs in a beautiful Empire-waisted Regency gown with a bouffant hairdo and the aforementioned cat's eyes make-up! Another offender is LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME starring Doris Day. Doris plays 1920's singer Ruth Etting, yet all her dresses have that 1950's hourglass-cinched-waist shape. Good movie, otherwise, though.

Enjoyed reading the posts on armor and medical equipment.

Sandy K