Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Youir favorite movies VS. the actual best?

For many these are one in the same.  One's own all-time favourite motion pictures against the actual finest ever made, but I thought it would be of interest to see of some can separate the 2?

(EXAMPLE: "The Third Man" (l950) in 1999, an obviously response to AFI's massive 1998 poll "100 years...100 Movies"-(most film mediums conducted the same poll of it's readers in response to it)

"EW," "Films of the Golden Age/Classic Images"/ "TV Guide": & of course "Sight and Sound" but that wasn't until 2002 when "Vertigo' pulled a massive upset over "Kane" which had topped it's list for 5 decades

"Hollywood.com"/' Time 0ut"/ even the sadly now gone tremendous "Premiere"/
imdb.com"

So I wondered if you, the ultimate cinefans could do the same   However, difference here being what you TCM-ITES personally rate as your fav. flix-(I,.e. "Desert Island"-(I hate that phrase myself) "Essential Movies"  vs. "The Actual Best You've Yet to See"-(*always denotes an Oscar winner)

As usual I'll start the ball rolling with my own top 5 to 10 own fav. movies:-(always have to throw my 2 or 3 cents in)>

1st fav. *"GFI" (l972), 2 *"GFII" (l974)-(I know TCM still doesn't own the rights though), 3rd fav. "Kane" (l94l-RKO Radio), 4. "Captains Courageous" (l937-MGM) 5th "Modern Times" (l936) (UA()

(HONORABLE MENTION: "Dumbo" (l94l-Disney/RKO)

VS. The out & out finest films I've yet to see> 1st place "Citizen Kane"  2. *"GFI"  3.*"GFII" 4th place *"Casablanca" & 5th best to date: "Modern Times'-(barely over 1931's ":City lights")

NOW, JUST FOR FUN FACTS: "AFI's 1-00yrs...100 Movies" (l998 poll/survey)> 1st place "Kane" 2 *"Casablanca" 3rd *"GFI" 4th *"GWTW" & 5th place was *"Lawrence of Arabia" (l962)

AFI held a (revised 2007 special & poll) but nobody paid attention to it?

THANK YOU :D  :(

Just for the record & in honor of Mr. 0sborne, he once had Stanley Donen(l924-) on an interview & immediately told Stanley that (7) of his films were in his top ten favs.

Howevere, he wavered a bit, as most of us cinephiles do & when he did that absolutely marvelous "Pvt. screenings" w/Alec Baldwin reversing the tables & had a "Pvt. screenings" with Robert, he asked him his ideal drama: "A Place in the sun" (l95l-Paramount) adventure: "Adventures of Robin hood" (l938-WB's_), Comedy "Libeled Lady (l936-MGM_) & "This Is Spinal tap" (l984) & of musicals without pause Osbo said "Singin' In the Rain" (l952-M-G-M)

Anyone who can claim a "favorite" movie probably feels IT already IS the "best", so there'd be no comparisons TO make.

Me?  Well, there's so many movies that I LIKE a lot but none that I can honestly say I like MORE than many of the others.  Im not that arbitrary.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I don't believe in "best" when it comes to the arts. Obviously, we all have favorites but, that's something else. 

I never care about the top movies. I only care about the ones I like or people I know recommend. Because I know their tastes.

Never had a problem separating "favourite" from "best".

As a follower of the Sight & Sound polls since I was a wee lad, I have been aware of the difference between my favourite movies and what were considered by consensus as the best films of all-time.

This was the Top Ten in Sight & Sound's 1972 poll:

1. Citizen Kane (Orson Welles, 1941)

2. La Regle du Jeu (Jean Renoir, 1939)

3. Battleship Potemkin (Sergei Eisenstein, 1925)

4. 8½ (Federico Fellini, 1963)

5. L'Avventura (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1960)

Persona (Ingmar Bergman, 1967)

7. The Passion of Joan of Arc (Carl Dreyer, 1928)

8. The General (Buster Keaton & Clyde Bruckman, 1926)

The Magnificent Ambersons (Orson Welles, 1942)

10. Ugetsu Monogatari (Kenji Mizoguchi, 1953)

When that list came out, I had only seen two of the films on the list: "Citizen Kane" and "The General". But by the end of the decade, I had managed to see all of the films listed, and while I could certainly appreciate that they were great films, historically important for cinematic and/or sociological reasons, most of the films rarely came up when making my own favourite films lists.

I realized early on that a great movie doesn't necessarily mean a movie that becomes beloved and that one desires to see over and over again. On the other hand, what you consider a favourite movie doesn't necessarily mean it is "great" in an objective sense...only that it's great according to your taste.

Many of my favourite movies..."Casablanca", "The Lady Eve", "Once Upon a Time in the West", "Meet Me in St. Louis", "North by Northwest", "Out of the Past", "The Awful Truth", "King Kong"...will never appear in Sight & Sound's Top Ten.

But then, as the rise of "Vertigo" since the 1980s has shown, even the greats get taken down a peg or two. The 2012 top ten bears little resemblance to the 1972 list. Who knows what the list will look like in 2032?

But I know my favourites will remain constant.

• Like 1

I don't believe in "best" when it comes to the arts. Obviously, we all have favorites but, that's something else. 

I never care about the top movies. I only care about the ones I like or people I know recommend. Because I know their tastes.

At the jazz guitar forum the question of 'best' verses favorite is a common topic.    Something like jazz guitar does have a technical component that can be measured (graded),   and while there is still a subjective element in play,  these technical components can be used to determine who is better at something than someone else,  especially when a vast majority of other experts (in this case competent jazz guitar players)  are the so called judges. 

Since my knowledge of the movie making process (technical components elements) is limited I would never attempt to create a 'best' listing (and I wouldn't expect anyone else to really care about that listing,  like I would about the best jazz guitar players).

• Like 1

The thing you may also wish to consider is....

Do YOU consider some movie to be the "best" based on YOUR own feelings?  Or because somebody ELSE says it is?

Like, do you let that AFI poll dictate what you ALSO think is the "best" or not, feeling that THEY probably know BETTER, and so you feel you HAVE to go along with it?  Or not?

As I mentioned ALL too often here, I have a friend who thinks(still) that the original TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE('74) is the "best" movie EVER made, so this "best" thing has a lot of wrinkles to iron out before given any serious consideration.

Sepiatone

Do YOU consider some movie to be the "best" based on YOUR own feelings?  Or because somebody ELSE says it is?

Like, do you let that AFI poll dictate what you ALSO think is the "best" or not, feeling that THEY probably know BETTER, and so you feel you HAVE to go along with it?  Or not?

As I mentioned ALL too often here, I have a friend who thinks(still) that the original TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE('74) is the "best" movie EVER made, so this "best" thing has a lot of wrinkles to iron out before given any serious consideration.

Sepiatone

NO, I go by my own views on things like this, music, tv, sports-(boxing) & all other mediums  It's all subjective of course

THANKS FOR WRITING

(P.S. of course all are aware of AFI's huge 100yrs specials & surveys, but it's really overdue for Hollywood.com/ ew.com/imdb/com & a few others to conduct another huge poll of readers

Did you know even our local (then) newspaper  "St. Petersburg Times" also conducted it's own readers favs?

Maybe just for fun i'll check the files & post them on here   They are very different then the rest

As a follower of the Sight & Sound polls since I was a wee lad, I have been aware of the difference between my favourite movies and what were considered by consensus as the best films of all-time.

When that list came out, I had only seen two of the films on the list: "Citizen Kane" and "The General". But by the end of the decade, I had managed to see all of the films listed, and while I could certainly appreciate that they were great films, historically important for cinematic and/or sociological reasons, most of the films rarely came up when making my own favourite films lists.

I realized early on that a great movie doesn't necessarily mean a movie that becomes beloved and that one desires to see over and over again. On the other hand, what you consider a favourite movie doesn't necessarily mean it is "great" in an objective sense...only that it's great according to your taste.

Many of my favourite movies..."Casablanca", "The Lady Eve", "Once Upon a Time in the West", "Meet Me in St. Louis", "North by Northwest", "Out of the Past", "The Awful Truth", "King Kong"...will never appear in Sight & Sound's Top Ten.

But then, as the rise of "Vertigo" since the 1980s has shown, even the greats get taken down a peg or two. The 2012 top ten bears little resemblance to the 1972 list. Who knows what the list will look like in 2032?

THANX!     I've complained & even written about this ever since 1998's fi5rst massive "100yrs...100 Movies" & did you know that of all movie related sites this one is the sole one not to even bother inquiring it's fans-(the most knowledgable on film)

Poll??? :angry: 

AGREED!

"Ambersons" is a brilliant, but butchered by RKO brass masterpiece!  Peter Bogdanovich rates it even over "Kane" & one yr he had *Orson over for dinner & it was on tv & when they got to the snow-scene, he said *0rson just burst into tears, because that was among his final cuts on it.   Though he himself always said the final clip of Major Amberson talking was his last take. They had him in South America shooting the docu "It All Came True"-(correct me if that's wrong please) A fine show (***) but according to him when he got back, apparently RKO even locked him out of the studio & *Robert Wise actually finished the picture, including an ending *Welles despised. He loathed happy endings & hated *Capra's flix

"Ambersons" is a brilliant, but butchered by RKO brass masterpiece!  Peter Bogdanovich rates it even over "Kane" & one yr he had *Orson over for dinner & it was on tv & when they got to the snow-scene, he said *0rson just burst into tears, because that was among his final cuts on it.   Though he himself always said the final clip of Major Amberson talking was his last take. They had him in South America shooting the docu "It All Came True"-(correct me if that's wrong please) A fine show (***) but according to him when he got back, apparently RKO even locked him out of the studio & *Robert Wise actually finished the picture, including an ending *Welles despised. He loathed happy endings & hated *Capra's flix

Finally & in only rtecent yrs is Leone's 1969 western getting it's long overdue due

1969 had a western flavor at the movies as well

This masterpiece, "The Wild Bunch" "True Grit" "Butch & Sundance..." & even somewhat *"MidnightCowboy"

In one of my oldest books "Film :D Facts"  it lists lots of filmmakers & critics candidates for all-time favs.  I'll have to someday dig out *Orson's

1 he greatly admired was "0ur Daily Bread" & I think "City Lights' is also in his top ten-(these polls were mostly taken around 1972/73)

In one of my oldest books "Film :D Facts"  it lists lots of filmmakers & critics candidates for all-time favs.  I'll have to someday dig out *Orson's

1 he greatly admired was "0ur Daily Bread" & I think "City Lights' is also in his top ten-(these polls were mostly taken around 1972/73)

& I added many to it's compilation since.  

Sepiatone

To me 'best' must be based on some type of technical components otherwise it is just the same as favorite.     E.g.  a film that used camera techniques either not used before (or used in a unique way that was so innovative it stands above what others were doing at the time). 

To me one's feelings have nothing to do with ranking films (or any art form) as 'best'.    In addition just a listing of 'best' films is rather meaningless;   I want to know WHY that film is way, way better than all the other thousand of films that were made.    

I have to use jazz guitar again because that is the only art form I'm qualified to discuss as it relates to 'best';   Wes Montgomery is the best jazz guitarist because of his use of octaves, block chords and that he played without a pick.    Oh, I could ramble on about other specific things he did that put him ahead of the rest of the pact,  but I'm sure that would bore most folks.

PS:  With favorite none of the above is necessary.    (but if one wishes to explain why the FEEL that film is their favorite I usually find that tells me something about the person). 

Have you seen another version of Ambersons?     Because if you haven't,  for all you know the so called butchered version is the true masterpiece and the version Welles wanted released is a bloated mess.    (most likely the best version would be found somewhere between the studio release and the Welles version).

Note that I just got Roger Ebert books The Greatest Movies (3 volumes);   It appears Ebert agrees with me that often director-cuts are overrated.    

I agree with JamesJazz.  There's no such thing as "the best" when it comes to art.  "Best," "Favorite," "Greatest," etc. those are all synonyms when it comes to discussing film.  They're completely subjective based on the opinion of the person or persons compiling the list.  The Godfather is often listed as "the best," but it wouldn't even make the top 100 on my list.  

There's no point in debating "the best."  Everyone will pimp their favorites and that'll be it.  We'll have a list of people's favorite films.

All of these polls, award shows, etc. that are trying to declare the best, are a compilation of a group of people's opinions.  

• Like 2

At the jazz guitar forum the question of 'best' verses favorite is a common topic.    Something like jazz guitar does have a technical component that can be measured (graded),   and while there is still a subjective element in play,  these technical components can be used to determine who is better at something than someone else,  especially when a vast majority of other experts (in this case competent jazz guitar players)  are the so called judges. 

Since my knowledge of the movie making process (technical components elements) is limited I would never attempt to create a 'best' listing (and I wouldn't expect anyone else to really care about that listing,  like I would about the best jazz guitar players).

You can always say who is the best "technical" guitarist is. Same with any instrument. But, that's only one component. And its not something every musician is striving for. Some just want fans to clap along. Others want the listener to listen introspectively. Some jazz tunes mentally take me away to another place and time. I don't know if that's best or worst but, I love that feeling.

There are so many different types of films. Its like the argument of why isn't there a special category for comedy in most awards shows ? An actor could "technically" deliver the joke the best. But, if no one is laughing, was it really good ?

Music serves so many purposes, just like all of the arts do. Did a performance motivate me to buy the book the movie is based on ? Do I have this actors  biography ? Did I search out more films starring this individual ? On and on it goes.

My mother was a major reason why I watch classic films. Her favorite actor was Walter Pigeon. I don't know if I've ever seen his name mentioned on this site. And If I did, it wasn't much. He is her favorite but, I doubt anyone would say he's the best. But, if his performance moved her. I would say he put on a good show.

And frankly, I wouldn't want there to be a "best" ( I don't mind lists, they are fun to look at but, nothing more to me), but, lots of fans adoring lots of films and actors, directors, cinematographers , etc... I like that no matter how many films I watch , there's always some film I haven't seen that someone recommends to me. And it starts all over again.

• Like 1

My favorite films :

The Treasure of The Sierra Madre

With Six You Get Eggroll

Breakfast At Tiffany's

The African Queen

The Graduate

The actual best movies :

Casablanca

Citizen Kane

The Godfather

Gone With The Wind

Rebel Without A Cause

THANX FOR YOUR INPUT!   & you obviously understand the gest of exactly what I'm talking about too!

(P.S. Just for fun, maybe we could do performers next, huh. Something likely to be even more subjective0

(EXDAMPLE: My personal favorite director & actor now "alive" is *"The Woodman" Woody Allen-(l935-) though I don't try & fool myself & say he's the finest living actor today, that honor must go to the alledged recently retired *D. Day-Lewis, *Hopkins & *Duvall) :)

I say "alledged" because when it comes to most performers, they still have that acting bug

Anyone who can claim a "favorite" movie probably feels IT already IS the "best", so there'd be no comparisons TO make.

Me?  Well, there's so many movies that I LIKE a lot but none that I can honestly say I like MORE than many of the others.  Im not that arbitrary.

Sepiatone

THANX AGAIN SEPIATONE, for many it is one in the same?

But with me it's sooo extremely close between the first 2 *"Godfather-epics" & "Kane' However, I must admit the latter is probably thee single finest film yet produced

Part of that viewpoint is due to me-(as with the sadly already both gone Roger Ebert-(l942-2014) & Gene Siskel_(l946-l999) & the dynamic duo's ongoing battle-(especially in the mid `19890's, when the issue even came before congress) on B & W vs. Color cinema

Which finally came to much ado about nada

I'll always recall what Sid Caesar-(l922-2014) always claimed, that comedy especially was superior in B & W, because one is not paying attention to the colors & such & a perfecto example of this is not only look at his shows, but "Lucy" "The Honeymooners"-(MY A #1) & the all-time great comedies of "The Silver-Screen"

"Modern Times" "City Lights" "Dr. Strangelove" "Duck soup" "A Night at the 0pera"-(these 2 always had a fans battle as to which one was the Marx Bros. finest  Groucho said "DS")  "Bringing up Baby" "His Girl Friday" "The General" "Sullivan's Travels" "Never Give A Sucker an Even Break" & "It's a Gift" & lots more, including AFI's winner "Some Like It Hot"  Of course I'd easily include *"Annie Hall" but it's of course in color. As for his 1979 masterpiece "Manhattan" it s more of a comedy-drama in mu humble opinion

THANX!     I've complained & even written about this ever since 1998's fi5rst massive "100yrs...100 Movies" & did you know that of all movie related sites this one is the sole one not to even bother inquiring it's fans-(the most knowledgable on film)

Poll??? :angry:

I've told of this surprisingly great story before, but given "VERTIGO" is in the situation again. here goes again & this was a delight in what occurred at it's heavyweuight grande finale!!! (P.S. first some *Scorsese truivia. Ever since he was a filmmaker he would & without pause cite "The Searchers" as his #1 favorite film, but his major influence. However, right around the time of Sight and Sound's stunningly & surprisingly 2012 International survey-(where "Vertigo" was voted over the legendary "Kane" & this after 50yrs of the latter being voted on top) He was getting into his car with groceries & I think it was that awful show TMZ, they just asked him his favorite movie & he immediately said "VERTIGO!")

Anyhow, around 1985 I went to some small theatre in the Tampa Bay area here & it was a Saturday evening & only a $buck$ "Vertigo" was playing & it was jam packed with kid :) s, teens,etc  the stunning pt is that as soon as it ended, these kids gave the film a stand ovation!

However, as you & most know the legendary S & S Survey simultaneously conducts not only the more recognized & well-known international critics poll,but also polls International filmmakers as well. For some reason the latter survey has always taken a back seat to the former more famous survey though. They still voted "Kane' as #1 in 2012 though

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PICKS!!! :D

(P.S. Of almost anyone on here though I most relish the list that our very own friends (LawrenceA & Jakeem) would give!?    PLEASE CHIME-IN OUR BUDDIES, EVEN WITH JUSTA COUPLE OR SO??? :) 

As many may already know, the genius: Alfred Hitchcock-(l899-l980) had his mental difficulties,mainly to due with his intense admiration for Grace Kelly-(l929-;l982) that she refused him & never returned to Hollywood, especially when he virtually nagged the then Princess to do 1964's "Marnie" (***) & given the fact-(by all accounts) what he put Tippi Hedren through.

Anyway, when the all-time fantastic 1958 Paramount release "Vertigo" was 1st released it was not a $B.O.$ hit,he actually blamed this on *Jimmy Stewart's rather premature aging-(their 4th & final effort together) & would later make no bones about the fact that 4 time star of his cinema as well Cary Grant-(l904-86) was his No. #1 overall ideal actor.

Always wondered how this made (James feel though, especially given Cary was a bit older & it took yrs for "Vertigo" to gain it's :wub: reputation)