Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Star would you like to see a month devoted to?

If you could choose, what star would you choose to have a month devoted to on TCM?

I would love to see a month of Lew Aryes' films because I haven't seen that many and don't know very much about him.

I would also love to see something on Jeanette MacDonald.

Oooo maybe Judy Holliday, though she didn't make that many.

I'd love to see a month devoted to Norma Shearer. Although she's been star of the month before, I think they should honor her again, and maybe produce one of those great documentaries on her like they did for Crawford, Lana Turner, John Garfield, and most recently, Rita Hayworth. It would be nice to see some of Shearer's silents, which TCM NEVER shows, even on Silent Sunday nights.

I'm not sure about all of the ones on your list, but I know Barbara Stanwyck was the April '02 Star of the Month. I think Sidney Poitier was given a month, too.

After watching the brilliant film noir classic "Born to Kill" this past Saturday, it made me realize how great Claire Trevor was. She made a lot of films, and had a wide range of roles. It would be great to see a month devoted to this talented and beautiful yet somewhat forgotten star.

I'd love to see Clara Bow highlighted. And I'd like to see some of her movies that haven't already been programmed before--like the recently restored KICK IN, or NO LIMIT. Show HOOPLA and CALL HER SAVAGE, her two last talkies. I'd also like to see some of her silents, like MANTRAP or THE PLASTIC AGE. It'd be okay by me if you showed the bio made on her a year or so again too, as I thought it was a pretty good one.

I would like to see TCM do as they did in August (I believe it was) when they devoted each day to a different star, only I'd like to see them do it with some "forgotten stars" or stars that aren't that popular with the public at large these days, but who made some real classics. Some of them I would include would be Sterling Hayden, Robert Ryan, Marie Dressler, Miriam Hopkins, Margaret Sullavan, Alastair Sim, Eleanor Parker, Joel McCrea, Joan Bennett, W. C. Fields, Maurice Chevalier, Joan Blondell, Paulette Goddard, Merle Oberon, Alan Ladd, Kay Francis, John Barrymore, and the actor who in my opinion was one of the greatest Hollywood is ever likely to see, Charles Laughton.

I would like to see TCM do as they did in August (I believe it was) when they devoted each day to a different star, only I'd like to see them do it with some "forgotten stars" or stars that aren't that popular with the public at large these days, but who made some real classics. Some of them I would include would be Sterling Hayden, Robert Ryan, Marie Dressler, Miriam Hopkins, Margaret Sullavan, Alastair Sim, Eleanor Parker, Joel McCrea, Joan Bennett, W. C. Fields, Maurice Chevalier, Joan Blondell, Paulette Goddard, Merle Oberon, Alan Ladd, Kay Francis, John Barrymore, and the actor who in my opinion was one of the greatest Hollywood is ever likely to see, Charles Laughton.

• 4 weeks later...

I might have mentioned it before, but I'd love to see a month devoted to Ann Sothern. She was a very talented actress who did almost everything in showbusiness. She was great in her tough gal "Masie" roles, as well as dramatic parts like in "A Letter to Three Wives," and was very good in musicals like "Panama Hattie." She was also very successful on T.V. with the two T.V. shows that she had. One of my favorite films of hers is "The Judge Steps Out" co-starring Alexander Knox. It's a great movie, and I think TCM has shown it in the past. Let's hear it for Ann Sothern!

I'm not sure whether he's been featured before or not, but I think it's time for a broader appreciation of Edward G. Robinson. In spite of being featured on a postal stamp 2 years ago, it seems like he's rarely mentioned anymore. I always felt that he was a far better than Bogart, and projected a great, understated sensitivity on screen. I know that TCM has always been generous in airing Robinson titles, but it would be nice to see some of his more obscure films as well.

I loved "Woman in the Window" as well. It's my favorite performance of his. One movie that he made that gives a funny twist to his usual "gangster" characterization is "The Whole Town's Talking" from 1935, co-starring Jean Arthur. He plays a dual role of a timid bookkeeper who looks just like a dangerous criminal, and therefore has to do some dirty work for him. Edward G. is really brilliant playing the two roles.

I would like to see a month devoted to the one and only Barbara Stanwyck. I believe she has made enough films to fill up a month too. She is pleasing on the eyes and her roles are versatile from a haggard mother, murderess,

burlesque queen and she could also ride a horse.

What a dame!

Mongo

Archived