Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Star would you like to see a month devoted to?

If I had my druthers it would be Claude Rains, but I know they've devoted a month to him before.

I run a list on yahoogroups devoted to character actors and we discussed British character actors one week. Has TCM ever focused on them?

What about Ed Begley Sr? He's great. Spring Byington, Dean Jagger, Thelma Ritter, Walter Slezak, S.Z Sakall

I would like to see a month devoted to Judith Anderson, but only if they left out Cinderfella.

I think December would be great to devote to Alistair Sim, BEYOND the glaringly obvious reason, He is so funny. But there may not be a months material. Maybe a week.

Ray Milland DESERVES TRULY to have his own month. I am so fond of the guy. He's just topps. There's enough there to fill a month. I'd like to see his more obscure movies.

Darn! theres not enough for a month with this great lady either but an ETHEL WATERS -um- weekend would be famous. Oh man that would make me happier than the above 3 combined. This woman takes up a very ample space in my heart.

A Julie Harris month would kill two birds here with one stone, unless Member of the Wedding was, inconceivably, left out. Even though a Julie Harris month would unearth that horrible movie where Marlon Brando dreams about a naked man riding a horse. Lets scratch the Julie month.

I know this seems a little over the top here, but I would say Robert De Niro. With the premiere of Raging Bull last march and the new premiere of New York, New York, he's getting on the board with TCM. If they could round up several more of his films for viewing, it would be fantastic.

If I had to choose a foreign actor...no question Toshiro Mifune.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to see a month dedicated to Charlie Chaplin.So far I've seen The Great Dictator and Tillies Punctured Romance starring Charlie Chaplin. From what I've seen so far he was a wonderful silent film actor and I would love to see a few his other works.

Caio!

Xeno.

classicsfan I'm also fond of Anne Bancroft. She is indeed a fine actress and most versatile.

She has been featured in some very good films "84 Charing Cross Road", "The Turning Point", "The Pumpkin Eater", "The Graduate" "Fatso" (also directed it), "Agnes of God" and os course her Oscar win in "The Miracle Worker" among others.

She has been appearing in supporting roles lately as in the remake of "The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone" in which she is grand.

Let's hear it for Annie.

Mongo

Good to see that you also admire Anne Bancroft, Mongo. In addition to an entire month devoted to her, I'd also love it if TCM would create a 2-hour documentary covering her life and career. Someone definitely needs to get something on film before it's too late! She's the one and only actress I've ever wanted to meet, and it would only be through a decent documentary that I ever will (sigh).

I have a great idea.

Why not devote a month to Orson Welles. That way we can see Citizen Cane 30 more times.

Why not devote a month to Clark Gable. That way we could see Gone With The Wind 30 more times.

Why not devote a month to Marlon Brando. That way we could see On The Waterfront 30 more times.

Why not devote a month to Cary Grant. That way we could see The Philadelphia Story 30 more times.

Why not devote a month to Katherine Hepburn. That way we could see The Philadelphia Story even 30 more times.

Why not devote a month to Jimmy Stewart. That way we could see The Philadelphia Story yet another 30 times.

Why not devote a month to Frank Sinatra. That way we could see High Society 30 more times. And along with that we could see the movie High Society was a remake of (The Philadelphia Story) 30 more times with it.

Apparently, you didnt get the idea.

Me personally, I'm tired of seeing those movies month after month. I have them either on VHS or DVD or both and can watch them at my leisure. What I would like to see are some of the other movies with those stars that TCM refuses to show. Movies like, 'Johnny Concho' and 'Sergeants 3' with Frank Sinatra. Movies like 'Topper' and 'Room For One More' and 'The Last Outpost' and 'The Eagle and The Hawk' with Cary Grant. Movies like 'Bedtime Story' with Marlon Brando. Movies like 'Jeanne Eagles' with Kim Novak. Why isnt TCM showing these?

They really can't show those movies beacuse they don't won the broadcast rights to them. Tooper, I have no clue about. Sergeants 3 and Johnny Concho were made by United Artist, the films are owned by present day MGM, which has none of its old movies, they are owned by Turner. Jeanne Eagles is owned by Columbia. Room For One More is owned by Warner Bros. from the time after they sold their old movies to MGM, which then ended up with Turner. Last Outpost and Eagle and The Hawk were made by Paramount, then sold to Universal in the mid 50's. Bedtime Story is a Universal Picture

I'd like to see a month of Ida Lupino (and include the movies she directed too), Robert Ryan, the Barrymores (all 3 together), and William Powell. Jean Arthur and Claudette Colbert would be a lot of fun to watch too as stars of the month.

> I'd like to see a month of Ida Lupino (and include

> the movies she directed too), Robert Ryan, the

> Barrymores (all 3 together), and William Powell.

> Jean Arthur and Claudette Colbert would be a lot of

> fun to watch too as stars of the month.

You just missed the one film which all three Barrymores played together, Rasputin and the Empress, which was screened either last month or the one before.

As for whom I'd like to see featured, let's see...Conrad Veidt, Jennifer Jones, Harry Langdon, Lon Chaney Sr., Alain Delon, Jean Gabin, John Garfield and El Brendel (heh heh, points to anyone who knows the last one!).

Right you are skippy. He is one of the very best in the business. Always a good to excellent performance and a fine speaking voice.

Some favorites are "The Big House", "Of Mice and Men", "Song of Bernadette", "Duel in the Sun', "The Farmer's Daughter", "Brute Force", "Johnny Belinda", "A Star is Born", "Not As a Stranger", "The Big Country", "The Days of Wine and Roses" etc.

He was one of a kind.

Mongo