Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Star would you like to see a month devoted to?

I agree about Ms. McGuire twinktab...she is such a gifted and underrated actress. Her performance in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is one of my absolute favorites and she was robbed of an Oscar nod. She's also fantastic in The Spiral Staircase.

Unfortunately, I think most of her movies play on the Fox Movie Channel.

Dorothy McGuire definitely deserves it! The only movies of hers that I have seen on TCM are The Spiral Staircase (which I think is one of Robert Osborne's favorites) and The Enchanted Cottage. I know that A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is on FMC. Same thing with Gentlemen's Agreement and Three Coins in the Fountain (not sure of that title). I wonder what titles of hers they have in the TCM library.

Too bad...I have learned that a lot of the movies I would like to see are on FMC. Too bad...hopefully they will someday show movies because they are good and relate to the actor, not necessarily what studio produced them!

Then the Dorothy McGuire day will be able to be seen, and those movies that arent always shown will be able to be enjoyed. I would love to see...

Til the End of Time- great song in the movie

A Summer Place

Friendly Persuasion- my favorite

Trial- which is being shown on TCM sometime in September!

getoverit718, TCM did have John Garfield as Star of the Month early last year or late 2003. Each night was co-hosted by Osbourne and Garfield's daughter, Julie. Her comments about her father were fascinating and practically everything he did was shown. I especially liked Nobody Lives Forever, a little-seen film-noir with Geraldine Fitzgerald.

I'd like to see Charles Laughton, Joan Blondell, Jean Arthur and though it may be impossible because of film rights and so forth, Marlene Dietrich (I know people think she was over-rated, but when she was allowed to actually act instead of being used as a beautiful piece of scenery, she was as good as anyone else in Hollywood and better than others.) And whoever said character actors would make a good topic was soo right! Mischa Auer, Billy Gilbert, Thelma Ritter Anges Moorehead, Edward Everett Horton--sometimes I'll watch a movie just to see one of them.

Has TCM ever devoted an entire month to a director? I remember seeing evenings that featured a few films of and maybe had a documentary on a particular director, but have they done an entire month? Can you imagine an entire month of Billy Wilder? Or Hitchcock? Lubitsch? Howard Hawks? And many many others? Wouldn;t that be fun? Think of how many great movies we'd get to see.

And it think it would be interesting for TCM to get as many of the AFI's top 100 as possible and play them in a big marathon. I tried working my way through them once, and had a hard time finding them. Or I'd find them, but they'd be at an outrageous price. Showing them on TCM would give people a hcance to not only see them, but to tape them as well :0)

And it think it would be interesting for TCM to get as many of the AFI's top 100 as possible and play them in a big marathon. I tried working my way through them once, and had a hard time finding them. Or I'd find them, but they'd be at an outrageous price. Showing them on TCM would give people a hcance to not only see them, but to tape them as well :0)>>

Tracey,

Unfortunately as large as the Turner library is, I don't think the majority of films in the AFI Top 100 are part of the library so that would mean a great deal of $$ spent on film rentals.

Also, given the number of rather recent films in the AFI list would likely upset a number of posters who would feel that TCM was turning into AMC.

tzcutter--

Oh well, I can dream, can't I?>>

Tracey,

Of course you can. Dreaming is one of the best parts of living!

"Hey Sam, what is that?"

"The stuff dreams are made of"

lynn in sherman oaks

www.classiclasvegas.com

• 2 weeks later...