Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I don't understand...explain please

Hi all. As you might recall from my earlier post that I am a new Vic Morrow fan. I was captivated by the absolutely phenominal job he did (in my opinion) as Artie West in Blackboard Jungle. So I've started watching other performances (I've ordered Men at War and Glass House but they haven't arrived yet) that have come on TCM. So far I've watched Cimarron (it was fun seeing he and Glenn Ford together again) and the Bad News Bears. From what I've seen and the research I've done it seems that Vic mainly played bit parts. Yes, he has a catalog of work to his name but other than Combat and maybe one or two others there doesn't seem to be much of anything offered to him that had substance. This floors me because he obviously had tremendous talant and, in the 50's & 60's anyway, had to looks to make it as a leading man. What happened? Why didn't he make it like say Tom Cruise? Let's take Cimarron for example. Even the kid who died had a bigger role than Vic did and I don't get that...and I have a feeling the only reason he was in the movie at all was because of Glenn Ford. Glenn should have lobbied for him to have a bigger part (IMO) :)

I understand why Vic may have turned to drinking (if that's true...I read it somewhere). I mean it would be very frustrating to want to be a big time actor, have the talent and looks to back you up, and only get offered bit parts or typecast "bad guy" roles. I now understand why he thought The Twilight Zone movie was so great...he thought of it as finally something more than a bit part.What a shame...I just don't get it.

Message was edited by: JoeLynn