Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MyMoll

Your favorite underrated Hitch Films

Rope..   I need to read the book.  I always wondered if Hitchcock had hid whether or not there was a murder how that would have impacted the movie.  Would it have made a good movie that way and how would it have worked out - the dialogue.  

After I watch the movie I always wonder what would the characters have done next!  

• Like 3

The films I was thinking of have already been mentioned but I do think 'Family Plot' might be my number one choice.  It's a great suspense film but it's also lighter than other Hitchcock films.  I love the characters and find it really fun to watch.  Same with  'The Trouble with Harry'.  'I Confess' is really great too.

I'm new to silent films but I really enjoyed 'The Lodger' as well.  I saw it for the first time the other night on TCM.  It's interesting how the killer was into fair-haired women. 

I haven't seen 'Rebecca' yet.  It's going to be on TCM soon and I'm looking forward to it!  I've already got the DVR set up to record it.   

Saboteur, The Rope, To Catch a Thief...are they underrated? I still love them.

• Like 1

I also really like Rope because it's so different than most of his other films.  Hitchcock had a very peculiar sense of humor.  At times his jokes bordered on the macabre side.  He also delighted in the absurd.  The idea that two men would murder their friend for "sport" and then proceed to serve their party foods on top of a trunk containing their friend's body is absurd, creepy and in a weird way, kind of funny? The fact that the friend was also invited to the party and the guests keep asking about him is also kind of weird.  I just like this film because it's so unusual.  

I also like Spellbound much for the same reason another person mentioned--the Salvador Dali dream sequence.  I also like Ingrid Bergman and I used to not be too keen on Gregory Peck, but he's kind of grown on me and I like him in this film. 

I like the 1956 remake of The Man Who Knew Too Much.  The Moroccan setting is interesting and I like the pairing of Doris Day and James Stewart.  Even though Day is a good 15 years younger than Stewart, she doesn't look out of place as his wife.  Day, especially with her cropped haircut, always has a mature look about her (and by "mature," I don't mean "old.") I even liked her song, "Que Sera, Sera."  For me, it works in the film.  This is the song that Day sings with her son.  When he goes missing, Day and Stewart conclude that he is at the embassy where the Prime Minister (aka the target) is located. The Prime Minister (unknowing about the whole assassination plot) asks Day, whose character is a popular singer, to oblige him in singing a song.  She purposely chooses "Que Sera, Sera" knowing that her son is there in the embassy building, somewhere.  She wants her son to hear his mother singing "their song" so that he knows she is near and is trying to find him.  The song is very important to the plot.  It also adds to the tension with Day's singing a happy song about "Whatever Will Be, Will Be" juxtaposed with Stewart trying to find their son and save him from his kidnappers.  During the song, Stewart locates his son, is held at gunpoint, inadvertently kills the kidnapper and reunites with his wife.  It's a great scene.  

I think Notorious is underrated because one could argue it's his best film. You can't really watch To Catch A Thief anymore after seeing the much better version of it in Notorious, yet To Catch A Thief comes up more often on the TV and in conversation.

• Like 2

My favorite underrated Hitch film is Lifeboat.  Tallulah Bankhead in a Hitchcock movie?  Also William Bendix?  9 people stuck in a lifeboat.  The filming was in one large water tank for the entire film.  Also, I think Hitch collaborated with John Steinbeck for the screenplay.  What more could you want?

• Like 2

Rope. I had never heard of it until I caught it on TCM a few years ago. At that time I didn't know it was an experiment so I was able to just enjoy it.

• Like 1

My first choice would have been Stage Fright, up until recently.

But in the past few weeks I watched Young and Innocent for the first time, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, and surprised by how Hitchcockian it was.

• Like 1