Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  

Dr. Edwards has mentioned Truffaut's interview book with Hitchcock quite a few times, so I thought there might be some people interested in these recordings. This is a collection of about 12 hours worth of the original recordings that went into the making of the fabled tome. In many ways, I think these recordings are much richer. The book, as most English readers know it, has basically been through two translations, from the original French/English hybrid to pure French, and from there to pure English. This sort of translation upon translation can homogenize or bland out any work. Also, the book misses out on the tone of voice, the way Truffaut laughs (or doesn't) at Hitch's jokes, and the times when Hitch sounds clearly bored or irritated. Highly recommended.

• Like 4

I watched the documentary.   I felt there was too much talk/translation and ambient noise to really enjoy the conversation.  I enjoyed the interviews with other directors more, like David Fincher.

Also, I got more out of watching interview with Hitchcock found on You Tube.

I watched the documentary. I felt there was too much talk/translation and ambient noise to really enjoy the conversation. I enjoyed the interviews with other directors more, like David Fincher.

Also, I got more out of watching interview with Hitchcock found on You Tube.

I would suggest you read the book. I read both the English and the French, which may be the best understanding because that's the way the interviews were conducted in both languages with one translator.

My general feeling was that it may have been truly the first time that Hitchcock was thoroughly questioned on issues that were pertinent to his Cinema by an interviewer who was not just knowledgeable, but also highly enthusiastic and perceptive.

I attended a public interview with François Truffaut once, in which the interviewer was also the translator. It wasn't bogged down in any way and was quite an effective presentation for the audience.

• Like 1