Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Lovely Ladies of Hitchcock (1927-1949): A Visual Tour

I wish I could like Robert Montgomery. I can't. I just can't. I've tried...I've tolerated him, but I just can't. That's what prevents me from looking at "Mr. & Mrs. Smith." I've endured him through through Norma Shearer.

LOVE Lombard!

And the pictures of Teresa Wright...Oh my. Lovely, lovely!

Hi, Konway -- Do you have photos of Vera Miles and Margaret Leighton from films of Hitchcock?

Miss G is correct, I've posted some Vera Miles screen captures on the other Hitch Ladies thread. I have caps from The Wrong Man, Psycho, and the first episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

Here's Margaret Leighton for you:

Milly (Margaret Leighton) in Under Capricorn (1949)

undercap1.jpg

undercap2.jpg

undercap3.jpg

undercap4.jpg

undercap5.jpg

undercap6.jpg

undercap7.jpg

undercap8.jpg

undercap9.jpg

Hi, Miss Goddess -- I like Margaret Lockwood's face. She's like a more pixie-ish version of Joan Bennett.

I like that description. You do have a way with words, especially when it comes to human qualities and emotions.

I can watch The Lady Vanishes endlessly. It's alot of fun.

Endlessly, huh? You're such a "heartless, callous, selfish, swollen-headed, beast!" Oh, wait. That's actually me, not you. My mistake. So do you like Miss Froy's special tea?

ladyvanishes1.jpg

ladyvanishes2.jpg

ladyvanishes3.jpg

ladyvanishes4.jpg

ladyvanishes5-1.jpg

ladyvanishes6-1.jpg

ladyvanishes7-1.jpg

ladyvanishes8-1.jpg

ladyvanishes9-1.jpg

I've got a honesty treat for you, Miss G.

smith10.jpg

smith11.jpg

smith12.jpg

smith13.jpg

Mrs. Smith (the gorgeously moody Carole): Respect for each other as persons, that's our big trick. Man and woman are all right, but person to person, that's important in a marriage, too.

smith15.jpg

smith16.jpg

I think we'd be friends if we were men or women, don't you? Respect for each others as individuals, that's what counts. To always tell the truth, no matter what the consequences. You know, I think if we told each other just one lie, we'd have to admit we failed, wouldn't we? And what would we have left? A marriage like other people's. Doubt, distrust. Going on with each other because it's the easiest way. Your barber is shaving you too close, I wish you'd talk to him.

smith34.jpg

I love that Hitch had the wife give the husband an honesty speech while she had him by the bal... blade.

smith14.jpg

smith17.jpg

smith18.jpg

smith19.jpg

smith20.jpg

smith21.jpg

smith22.jpg

smith23.jpg

smith24.jpg

smith25.jpg

smith26.jpg

smith27.jpg

smith28.jpg

smith29.jpg

smith30.jpg

smith31.jpg

smith32.jpg

smith33.jpg

Ha ha...I'd forgotten she called him those names....Miss Lockwood was a feisty pixie. I'm bringing some of Miss Foy's special brew to Theresa's next tea party.

Those scenes in *Mr & Mrs Smith* are sooooo funny. Talk, talk, talk about honesty and then when she gets it she's so upset! I love her contradictions.

I just came to the part in Sterling Hayden's autobiography where he talks about your #2 Hitchcock girl, Madeleine C. I had no idea they married! She seemed like a grand girl, she really hated the whole Hollywood thing and had these 40 orphans in Paris she was supporting, which was why she did movies.

In one paragraph he breaks off in the middle of things just to write how he couldn't understand how this beautiful girl who could have had any one of a number of wealthy, successful, confident and powerful men, chose to marry him.

I thought that was sweet, I'm getting the feeling so far that she was the love of his life.

Bonjour, Ma Blonde Favorite -- Thanks for the two photos of Hitch and Ingrid. The top one is perfect. I love seeing the two of them sharing a grand chuckle. Ingrid is the best Hitch actress to me, but Grace and Madeleine are my personal favorites, then Ingrid.

Those scenes in Mr & Mrs Smith are sooooo funny. Talk, talk, talk about honesty and then when she gets it she's so upset! I love her contradictions.

Carole is brilliant as Mrs. Smith. Every shot of her reveals a new facial expression and emotion. She's a gorgeous maze. That's why I love her so.

I just came to the part in Sterling Hayden's autobiography where he talks about your #2 Hitchcock girl, Madeleine C. I had no idea they married!

No? I really thought that you did. I've referred to Sterling as Mr. Carroll a few times on this board and that's the reason why. Bob Hope had a major crush on Maddy (like I did after watching The 39 Steps) and called her, "my favorite blonde," on his radio show. He was obsessed (like me) with her beauty. It's why they ended up making the film, My Favorite Blonde, a parody of The 39 Steps.

Maddy in My Favorite Blonde

myfavoriteblonde1.jpg

In one paragraph he breaks off in the middle of things just to write how he couldn't understand how this beautiful girl who could have had any one of a number of wealthy, successful, confident and powerful men, chose to marry him.

I thought that was sweet, I'm getting the feeling so far that she was the love of his life.

I'm glad you shared that with me. I love hearing about Madeleine. I'm betting you are right about Maddy being the love of Sterling's life. Madeleine Carroll is definitely the blonde that set the example for the Hitchcock blondes to come. If I were ever to have a daughter, I'd want to name her "Madeleine" because of Madeleine Carroll, Madeline Kahn, and Madeleine in Vertigo.

These words struck a chord with me: "how he couldn't understand how this beautiful girl who could have had any one of a number of wealthy, successful, confident and powerful men, chose to marry him." "Confident" is a key word with Sterling because he was lacking in this area in Hollywood. I don't think he was ever comfortable in that setting. Madeleine was a special lady, though. I'm sure she liked Sterling because he wasn't Hollywood and he was vulnerable despite his size. In otherwords, she was a sweetheart. Maybe you can fill in those Madeleine blanks for me.

My favorite scene from The 39 Steps; it features a perfect, "Good Morning."

39steps1.jpg

39steps2.jpg

39steps3.jpg

39steps4.jpg

39steps5.jpg

39steps6.jpg

39steps7.jpg

39steps8.jpg

39steps9.jpg

39steps10.jpg

39steps11.jpg

39steps12.jpg

39steps13.jpg

39steps14.jpg

39steps15.jpg

39steps16.jpg

39steps17.jpg

39steps18.jpg

39steps19.jpg

39steps20.jpg

39steps21.jpg

39steps22.jpg

39steps23.jpg

39steps24.jpg

39steps25.jpg

39steps26.jpg

39steps27.jpg

39steps28.jpg

39steps29.jpg

39steps30.jpg

39steps31.jpg

39steps32.jpg

39steps33.jpg

39steps34.jpg

This is my favorite closing shot in all of Hitch's films:

39steps35.jpg

Lovely screenshots, Frank. You will enjoy The General Died at Dawn.

I'll let you know what else Mr. Hayden has to say about his favorite blonde; so far, I can tell you, he really has her on a pedestal which is sweet.

I loved it when he told the bosses at Paramount he wanted out of his contract because he couldn't go on "imitating men". Ha!

My Favorite Blonde -- Lovely screenshots, Frank. You will enjoy The General Died at Dawn.

Thank you. I'm sure I'll find plenty of visuals to keep me entertained in The General Died at Dawn. So are you pushing me towards another Coop film? Could I actually watch three Coop films in a row? Is that possible?

I'll let you know what else Mr. Hayden has to say about his favorite blonde; so far, I can tell you, he really has her on a pedestal which is sweet.

Feel free to talk about Maddy and Sterling as much as you like on this thread. I'm very interested in their marriage. I have no idea why the two of them split up.

I loved it when he told the bosses at Paramount he wanted out of his contract because he couldn't go on "imitating men". Ha!

That's Sterling. He never felt right as an actor. He had a lot of "stage fright." I think the entire process felt foreign to him, alien-like.

Madeleine Carroll in Secret Agent (a film that I enjoy)

secretagent1.jpg

secretagent2.jpg

secretagent3.jpg

secretagent4.jpg

Blondes love their beauty goop.

secretagent8.jpg

secretagent10.jpg

"Delicious" is what Sir John utters. I never knew goop was so flavorful. I guess it depends on the blonde.

secretagent9.jpg

secretagent6.jpg

I wonder what shade of lipstick this is? Freckle-Face Passion? Tree-Climbing Mauve?

secretagent7.jpg

Hi, Dobbsy -- The sound test for Blackmail is priceless. Thanks for posting it on this thread.

If anyone wants to see Hitch's naughtiness in action, you really need to watch this 42-second clip. Anny Ondra is one of my favorite Hitch blondes and her beauty and sweet innocence really shines through in this clip. She's adorable. Hitch is Hitch... a berry bad boy.

I think Hitch made almost all of his leading ladies blush on the set. Well, with the exception of one for sure... Tallulah Bankhead. The stories about Bankhead on the Lifeboat set are uproariously naughty. I think she made Hitch blush, which is something I'm sure he adored.

When I first saw that scene in *Secret Agent* I figured that Stanley Donen must have seen it too, and it inspired him to use the same cold-creme bit with Ingrid and Cary in *Indiscreet* (a must-watch, if you haven't already).

I just finished four more chapters in Wanderer and it looks like it was World War II that finished the marriage. They both went off to do their bit right after the honeymoon and basically the time apart and what they saw killed their relationship. He certainly saw some very grim sorts of action because he didn't go into regular Marine duty, he went into Croatia and the coast of Italy with the Yugoslav (communist) resistance fighters. Good grief, you can tell by what he doesn't write how much it affected him. All that time Madeleine was in Italy or France serving as a nurse. They basically just had a drink and said goodbye when the war in Europe was over.

And I agree with Sterling's point of view about acting. Unless it's really a deeply born calling, it's a second-hand sort of existence, especially for a man.

Frank, don't take this the wrong way but I might just be a little bit in love with you. At the very least, I'm in love with this thread, the wonderful pictures you, and others, have posted and your love of Hitchcock. Recently, I've set an early new year's resolution to watch all of Hitchock's movies in 2008 so to discover these two threads you've started is just wonderful. I'm a big fan of Hitch's early work especially The 39 Steps, Foreign Correspondent and Lifeboat. I'm embarassed to admit that I fell asleep during Murder!

I'm curious to know if anyone else has had this particular problem with early Hitchock movies: poor sound. While watching The Lady Vanishes and Murder! I had to crank the volume up to really understand what they were saying, even then it wasn't always clear and the white noise was rather loud. Am I crazy or have others had the same problem?

Now, I'm off to watch Dial M for Murder, a movie I saw years ago with my mother but want to see again.