Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1930's - 1940's movie title needed

I am trying to find a movie and the only thing I can remember is at the end the man that killed the woman also gets killed and sits down next to her on a log. She is dressed in an evening gown. She has shoulder length blond (white) hair. Its a black and white movie.

Thanks for any help you all can give me.

Fred

I believe you are thinking about "Topper Returns" which starred Joan Blondell as the "ghost" you are speaking of. Roland Young returned in his role as "Topper", along with Billie Burke as his wife. This movie came out in 1941 and is the 3rd in the series. There is a scene near the end of the movie that sounds like what you remember. I tried to find my DVD, but will have to dig a further to verify this info. Hopefully, someone else will either verify that this is the correct movie or can tell you the name of the movie you are looking for if this is not correct.

If you can remember anything else about the movie, please post that information.

I might have a couple movies confused. I looked at the youtube clip and thats not the movie.I want to say it has a trap in the floor and the bad guy is trying to get people to sit in the chair. When they do, the chair flips backwards and they fall into an underground cavern. I am pretty sure no gets killed except the woman. The bad guy is after her estate maybe? I looked at some of the movies Mantan Mooreland because I was thinking he was one of the people that actually falls into the trap but finds a boat and rows out of the underground cavern.

The woman ghost is trying to find out why she was killed.

I really appreciate all your help. I am sorry I cant think of more details.

Thanks

Fred

You are definitely looking for "Topper Returns" from 1941. Everything you describe is in the synopsis for that movie. Do a search on TCM's website for "Topper Returns" and you can read the exact plot you describe. Joan Blondell's character is trying to find out who murdered her and there is a scene where there is a chair that drops the person sitting in it into a cavern (something to that effect). Anyhow, hope you enjoy the movie if you get it.