Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Honestly, your opinion of "Twin Peaks"-(series) (film) & David Lynch?

spence

I just saw a couple days ago that there will still be another (10) episodes of Lynch's "Twin Peaks-The Return" I knew, as most did that thought the 1990-92 series brilliant, that the new version-"The Return"

was going to be just as strong, most of us very vastly letdown & I'd-(so-far) only rate it (**-out of four stars)

Not bad, just flat & seemingly going through the motions this time out  Even the never even nommed composer's score (Angelo Badalamenti) is missing for the most part? :wub:   He must by now be in his late '80's?   

If your not a "TP" or Lynchian Universe fan, you'll no idea what I mean. but, his score even for the 1992 mess (*1/2) theatrical release "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me" was superb music!!!-(by the way that film is again being aired on Showtime right now) & even though that '92 flop hit the deck, $financially$ & critically,that majestic music still deserved *Oscar attention!?

I'll never forget going to it & it was packed-(obviously w/Lynch fans,etc) & they seemed bored, until Agent Cooper-(MacLachlan  appeared on screen & they almost gave him a standing ovation, but then Agent Cooper up & vanished for the rest)

See, he had the market cornered on cinema villians-(Hopper in "Blue Velvet" of which all agree "TP" was an extention of!),

Dennis Hopper topped his list & AFI ranked his Frank Booth among the all-time greatest movie villians!   & I'm not alone in calling it his mt. summit of his films,to date anyway  AFI even voted #3 of the 1980's. 

Then he had Dafoe in 1990's "Wild at Heart"-(*Nicholson outright stated he thought Willem Dafoe shoulda won an *Oscar for his disgusting role in it)-(it was maybehis most mainstream flick td & grossed $15m.) & *Cage did a dead-on ELVIS bit throughout

& he had both Robert Blake & Robert Loggia in '97's "Lost Highway" (**1/2) only made $4m. Bobby easily stole the pic. though. A small but pivotal role, especially when we all know what's coming up soon in his own future

"TP' had Leland Palmer, father of the now almost legendary victim in it, Laura Palmer portrayed by yet another beautiful girl in his orbit Sheryl Lee. He was portrayed by actor Ray Wise-(something at the time many were almost betting the farm on, as to who was her killer. I WON that one, but early on)

It technicaly has 2 bad guys though "BOB" -(P.S. My own fav. lady from it & all his motion pictures is fellow Irish Sherilyn (Audrey) Fenn.) He cast Peggy Lipton, Lara Flynn Boyle, Madgen Amick, Sheryl Lee of course.

"Mulholland Dr." (2001) (***1/2) ($8m.) didn't really contain one of Lynch's patented killers?-(TRIVIA: To date it's only his 3rd BD *AMPAS nomination?)

(NOTE: Don't know if it still exists' but there was a website (Lynch's Villians/Universe)

Can't say the same about his absolutely marvelous 1999 "The Straight-Story" though. Only raking it $7m  I gave it 4 BIG STARS! & even more to Richard Farnsworth-(l920-2000) in it. A 180 for Lynch to be certain. The former Hollywood stuntman-(Harpo in 1937's "A Day at the Races" (MGM) for one) Snagged his 2nd & final shot at *"The Golden Boy" for this. Later killing himself when faced with terminal cancer!-(NOTE: See 1983's great Western "The Grey Fox")

His work like most films is something to be watched again & again, to get all the nuance & things put more in perspective.   But, most films are like that aren't they?  MANY HISTORIANS VOTE FOR "KANE" JUST FOR THIS REASON.

& who could ever forget-(if they have seen it) 1978's "Eraserhead'-(without peer in easily being dubbed "The Weirdest film Ever Made!")  Personally I don't even know what to think of it & have seen it many times?-(TRIVIA: Jack Nance, his buddy & general stock player played the title character. Known to really be a violent drunk within the industry, his death is still shrouded in mystery?)

1980's often brilliant "Elephant Man" -(woulda' likely dominated that yrs *Oscars, if not for *"O. People" & the all-timer "R. Bull" in it's way)

Is pretty straightforward, especially for David Lynch-(l946-)

It looks (as-so-far anyway) like it's overall villain is his alter-ego Kyle MacLachlan & "BOB" again.-(played by the late Frank Silva)  Like the classic directors he likes to use both the same cast people & crew

It just lacks the momentum of it's predecessor. I've already thought it was similar with *Coppola & the fuirst 2 all-time great *"Godfather-epics" & that possibly too much time had passed & he lost touch with the material by now?  (26 YEARS IS A LONGTOIME IN BETWEEN)

Have yet o see "Inland Empire" though?-(PLEASE POST ANY COMMENTS ON IT & THIS LYNCH FILM?) :(

• Like 1

First season of the original Twin Peaks was great, the second not up to the first. Fire Walk With Me I liked a lot.  I don't have Showtime so will have to wait for it's second coming.

As far as the rest of Lynch's films I like them all to varying degrees so far with exception of Inland Empire which I haven't quite gotten into yet, I've watched it maybe twice.

I got an online Showtime subscription just so I can watch this show. Like all Lynch, it's weird and wonderful. I have mentioned on any number of threads that several classic movie actors are playing small roles on this show. I don't believe anyone has responded to any of my posts on the subject. 

Mind you, it won't be everyone's cup of tea. If you're not familiar with the events of the original series, it would be very confusing to you, I think. And even if you did watch the original series, you might find the new one to be a head-scratcher. While almost all of the living members of the original cast have returned, all but a few of them have thus far been confined to very small appearances or cameos. At least 50 per cent of the action has actually taken place outside of Twin Peaks. And I don't know how to explain this without writing several paragraphs, but while Kyle Machlachlan is prominent, he has so far not appeared in a form recognizable as the Agent Cooper from the original series, instead playing several sort of alternative versions of Cooper that showcase his acting range but have deprived the fans of a character presentation they were longing to see. 

There are nine episodes remaining.

Badalamenti is 80. He has written new music for the new series, but it has appeared pretty sparingly so far. Recurring music from the old series is also sparse. There is much less of a score per se than in the original series. Many scenes have no music at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, regardless of the overall Lynch oeuvre I'd have to say he is one of my favorite filmmakers of all time. This is mostly because he is so unique, takes risks and I would run home every night the original Twin Peaks was on tv in fear of missing an episode even though I was taping it with my timer. I agree with Cigar Joe that Season One was probably the best but I still enjoyed the whole series immensely. I own all his movies on dvd and even own the original release of Inland Empire which goes beyond even the off the wall escapades of things like Mulholland Drive. I was thrilled to hear that Lynch was coming back to do this show so am in anticipation of what it will entail but for those who are real film lovers and perhaps of the more perverse milieu who enjoy things by people like Luis Bunuel, then I think they would also be a Lynch devotee.

First season of the original Twin Peaks was great, the second not up to the first. Fire Walk With Me I liked a lot.  I don't have Showtime so will have to wait for it's second coming.

As far as the rest of Lynch's films I like them all to varying degrees so far with exception of Inland Empire which I haven't quite gotten into yet, I've watched it maybe twice.

Hi, Cigar Joe. I bought Inland Empire when it was first released on dvd and am really curious what you think of it, since I've never met anyone as yet who has even seen it. I will tell you it is more abstruse and disconnected than any Lynch work I've ever seen and I've seen them all, but I plan to rewatch it soon and see if I finally get all the pieces in place like a jigsaw puzzle should be worked. I too liked the film follow-up to Twin Peaks, Fire Walk with Me. I own the music from the series too, on cd with Julee Cruise [sp?] and I think those small details also add to the Lynch allure. I love too that he uses actors who have either been forgotten, or misused by Hollywood like Michael Parks and Russ Tamblyn and others. Just my take but Lynch does only appeal to some viewers so caveat emptor to anyone asking for advice on watching Lynch works.

Hi, Cigar Joe. I bought Inland Empire when it was first released on dvd and am really curious what you think of it, since I've never met anyone as yet who has even seen it. I will tell you it is more abstruse and disconnected than any Lynch work I've ever seen and I've seen them all, but I plan to rewatch it soon and see if I finally get all the pieces in place like a jigsaw puzzle should be worked. I too liked the film follow-up to Twin Peaks, Fire Walk with Me. I own the music from the series too, on cd with Julee Cruise [sp?] and I think those small details also add to the Lynch allure. I love too that he uses actors who have either been forgotten, or misused by Hollywood like Michael Parks and Russ Tamblyn and others. Just my take but Lynch does only appeal to some viewers so caveat emptor to anyone asking for advice on watching Lynch works.

The main thing off putting at first is the Polish filming locations, quite different, especially when The Inland Empire was the area surrounding Spokane Washington, so I was expecting (since he grew up around there) something along Twin Peaks lines but no it's completely different, I think I've only watched it twice I'll have to give it a go again like you said to get the jigsaw puzzle together.

sewhite said: Badalamenti is 80. He has written new music for the new series, but it has appeared pretty sparingly so far. Recurring music from the old series is also sparse. There is much less of a score per se than in the original series. Many scenes have no music at all.

My very favorite part of Twin Peaks.

Badalamenti has scored other film projects as well, such as CITY OF LOST CHILDREN. His work is few & far between, but wholly worth adding to your musical library.

sewhite said: Badalamenti is 80. He has written new music for the new series, but it has appeared pretty sparingly so far. Recurring music from the old series is also sparse. There is much less of a score per se than in the original series. Many scenes have no music at all.

My very favorite part of Twin Peaks.
Badalamenti has scored other film projects as well, such as CITY OF LOST CHILDREN. His work is few & far between, but wholly worth adding to your musical library.

Got  that soundtrack back when the original show was on   Your correct in the new series having literally no music though   

Strangely it's his only film I have yet to see &  rarely on tv too   I'm still waiting for Sherilyn Fenn to appear on this though?

I got an online Showtime subscription just so I can watch this show. Like all Lynch, it's weird and wonderful. I have mentioned on any number of threads that several classic movie actors are playing small roles on this show. I don't believe anyone has responded to any of my posts on the subject. 

Mind you, it won't be everyone's cup of tea. If you're not familiar with the events of the original series, it would be very confusing to you, I think. And even if you did watch the original series, you might find the new one to be a head-scratcher. While almost all of the living members of the original cast have returned, all but a few of them have thus far been confined to very small appearances or cameos. At least 50 per cent of the action has actually taken place outside of Twin Peaks. And I don't know how to explain this without writing several paragraphs, but while Kyle Machlachlan is prominent, he has so far not appeared in a form recognizable as the Agent Cooper from the original series, instead playing several sort of alternative versions of Cooper that showcase his acting range but have deprived the fans of a character presentation they were longing to see. 

There are nine episodes remaining.

Badalamenti is 80. He has written new music for the new series, but it has appeared pretty sparingly so far. Recurring music from the old series is also sparse. There is much less of a score per se than in the original series. Many scenes have no music at all.

& strangely a few have died already   Miguel Ferrer, Michael Parks & I think a couple more. 

Although I & many think "Fire Walk With Me" was a bit of a mess-(I'll never forget it's packed audience, though it eventually flopped with ticket sales) cheered when Agent Cooper finally first appeared & then, he was gone?

At any rate it's instantly classic & mezmerizing score by Badalamenti still deserved to be remembered come *Oscar time

The main thing off putting at first is the Polish filming locations, quite different, especially when The Inland Empire was the area surrounding Spokane Washington, so I was expecting (since he grew up around there) something along Twin Peaks lines but no it's completely different, I think I've only watched it twice I'll have to give it a go again like you said to get the jigsaw puzzle together.

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFU:L COUNTRY UP THERE TOO!~   Unfortunately I've been stiuck downm here in FL almost 36yrs now, from New Jersey :angry:  :angry:  :angry: 

I thought Inland Empire was the most "David Lynch" movie that Lynch has made. It seemed like he had no one tempering his artistic ambitions, for the better or worse. Everyone else I know hated it, and many even shut it off before it was over. I liked it a lot, but I'm a big David Lynch fan. I rank him among my favorite directors, and have all of his movies on DVD or Blu Ray. And yet, strangely, I only recently (the past 5 years) watched Twin Peaks for the first time. I saw Fire Walk with Me back when it was released without having seen the TV show at all. I haven't seen the new show, as I don't have Showtime, but I will eventually, hopefully.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings