Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lerner & Lowe musicals (Sat. evening theme)

• 4 weeks later...

"Gigi" has always been one of my favorite original made for film musicals. Spot-on casting, lovely' memorable melodies & lyrics, gorgeous sets and costumes, with one of the most talented casts and director ever.

I agree with you, and in my mind it's also the last of the great, old-fashioned Hollywood musicals, which were pretty much a thing of the past after 1960. Not that there's anything wrong with 60's musicals, mind you!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

1. Gigi (Pure perfection...although as a kid I wasn't exactly sure I understood what Gigi and her aunts were supposed to be...profession-wise)

2. My Fair Lady (if Julie Andrews had been cast it would probably be my first choice)

3.Brigadoon (Heather on the Hill is one of my fave sequences and has Cyd Charisse ever looked more beautiful? Wish so many songs had not been cut)

4. Paint Your Wagon (let me say I love the stage show, loathe the film...does ANYONE like this movie? I saw it once maybe 20 years ago and never care to see it again!)

jon

• 1 year later...

> {quote:title=LandLfan wrote:}{quote}

> 1. Gigi (Pure perfection...although as a kid I wasn't exactly sure I understood what Gigi and her aunts were supposed to be...profession-wise)

LandLfan,

LOL - you know, I didn't really understand what they were training her to be until watching the movie again just a few days ago!! I always thought of it as a conventional romance, not that they were training her to be a you-know-what. But it is explained quite explicitly in the documentary that comes with the movie, and that was one of the big obstacles they faced when they adapted it as an MGM musical. Things had to be said very tactfully in the movie, so as to not offend the censors.

By the way, someone here said they wished the movie was on blu-ray, it was recently released on blu-ray, and it looks absolutely amazing!