Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scarface pre-code and The Big Combo thread

I am getting ready to watch these very soon... I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on these

Both are inexpensive the Big Combo I got for 5.99 and Scarface with Karloff, George Raft was only 12.99 at Best Buy..from Universal :)

THE BIG COMBO is one of the finest noir films of the 50s -- period. The DVD you have, unfortunately, is the substandard version mastered off a crappy 16mm print. It does nothing to preserve the integrity of John Alton's masterful cinematography, much of which is muddied up and devoid of contrast. I might suggest tracking down the version issued by Image Entertainment several years ago. Most likely out of print and kind of costly, but well worth the price. There's a strong likelihood that you'll enjoy THE BIG COMBO despite the nature of the DVD. If so, it should be more than enough of a justification for shelling out for the pricier version.

SCARFACE is a great gangster film, as most people will readily agree. Fantastic energy compliments of Hawks' dynamic direction and the stellar performances by Muni, Raft and Ann Dvorak. A total classic of the genre.

You've got two great films on the table!

I like SCARFACE a lot. Like Hawks a lot. It has a slight awkwardness about it. Almost as if they were in too big a hurry to get to the good stuff. A couple of scenes seem to come out of nowhere. But that contributes to the break-neck pace, the director's biggest strength, so I can't complain. I like the character of the sister. There's some slick cinematography I enjoy. Recommended by this viewer.

RR