Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking for a movie. HELP!

twinsbraves

I seen this movie in the 60"s or early 70"s.

There's a love affair. They soon get married and have a daughter. The wife is giving piano lesions with out her husband knowing it (he doesn't want her working). When he finds out, there's an argument and walks out on her family. He raises his daughter alone. The daughter thinks her mother dead. Years latter when the girl is approximate. 10 years old. The parents meet again, she comes to visit, and gets to know her daughter (but the daughter does not know it's her mom). When she goes to leave again, she is out by the cab. When the father tells the girl "that's her mother". The girl runs out before she gets in the cab. And embraces her mom, I think she stays, but I'm not sure.

I don't know who's in the movie, or the name.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated

Wasn't there a Joan Crawford movie with a similar premise? It would have been older, but I can see the little cottage house, a picket fence, and the road frontage as she comes back home....I think her mother was a significant character...Geeze it's been so long since I saw it!

Classicsfan it wasn't Mildred Pierce. I remember a scene in the house so vividly - it was a small cottage and you walk in and there's the kitchen off to the left, and a short-wall partition, I recall Joan and her husband are arguing. I'm wanting to say Joan came into some money and was going back home to her blue collar husband?

Man, did I dream this??

Can I take a shot? The piano-lesson scene (which was really a dance lesson, if we're on the same wavelength) comes from "The Men In Her Life," with Loretta Young, Conrad Veidt, and Dean Jagger. The picket-fence scene comes from "Mannequin," with Joan Crawford and Spencer Tracy, during a sequence in which newlyweds Joan and Spence are checking out his millionaire character's peaceful Irish roots.

Thanks for your inputs 121 and cf, but regarding my movie in question it fits the plot of baseball guy's original post (Twins-Who? ;) - the same parental-rights thing, the same single-dad-raising. I would add I think it's a terrific film with powerful scenes; I'm wanting to say the husband was an alcoholic. And it wasn't so much a cottage (poor word choice) but a modest house in Mayberry Americana.

I'm going to take a shot at this. There was a movie with Rock Hudson and the little girl I think played Danny Thomas' daughter on his tv show Make Room for Daddy. I think her first name was sherri. I don't know who played the actress she was foreign, maybe from Germany. In the story they are in Europe, he leaves her, takes the daughter goes to the states. He did not know that the wife was put in a consentration camp. Years later she finds husband & daughter. He is ridden with guilt, and the daughter doesn't want anything to do with the mother. At the end the mom gets into a cab to leave and daughter comes running after. I just don't remember the name of this movie. Sorry!

Thanks mirabelle, but I did a little research on Joan Crawford's filmography and punched up a few summaries of titles I hadn't seen...I'm starting to think the film I'm talking about is "Susan and God" (1940) with Fredric March? Anyone seen this ,or specifically, recall a scene of a husband being drunk and they have a fight in this house with a kitchen off to the left?

(I don't think I ever watched the movie all the way through).