Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Enough Already!

nickdimeo

I am very sad that Elia Kazan passed away but I must convey my opinion that I am fed up with TCM rearranging thier schedules to pay tribute to these deceased celebrities. This is about the third straight month that I have been looking forward to movies that were scheduled in the TCM guide that won't be shown. I particulary was looking forward to watching one of my favorites Warren William, in Skyscraper Souls this month. And to top it off all these movies for the Kazan tribute were just shown last Sunday: On The Waterfront, A Face in the Crowd, etc.... What is the sense of purchasing thier guide and taking time to highlight particular interests? Just one man's opinion!

Me three. While the tribute didn't affect anything I had my eye on, I can sympathize with your disgust.

Have you ever read People magazine? Every time a celebrity dies, folks will deluge the "Letters to the Editor" to complain the spread wasn't "x" amount of pages - and it's not only deaths, it's "anniversaries of (tragedies/killings/bombings, etc.)" -it's as if some people thrive on paying annual homage. Even the anniversary of Elvis' death hasn't dwindled to 5- and 10-year milestone retrospectives. Just this past January the Post-Dispatch had a feature "Our 27th Year Without The King" or some such nonsense.

I also agree - to a point. When someone like Katherine Hepburn dies, a memorial day of her films is fine, and to be expected for such a huge star. But I agree that they have gone overboard lately. Some of these folks, like Kazan for example, should have maybe ONE film shown as a tribute - not a whole block of them.

I can see where all of you guys are coming from but I can't say I agree with it totally. These people are the very reason why we are able to have a network like TCM. If we can't take one day to honor these men and women, than what reason do we have for watching this network. These people were, in reality, the pioneers of this industry and I think it is our duty as fans to honor them in any way we can. It shouldn't matter what rank or status in this industry they had. They all made contributions that made these movies everlasting and true. You know these people won't be around forever but there movies will. The movies they made are never-ending tributes to them. So instead of complaining about schedule changes or the movie you didn't get to see, we should, instead, use that day to celebrate their life because people only live once. Just my opinion. Braxton

Personally, I think it's just as effective to have that little "In Memoriam" still photo in between features - the ones with the "TCM Remembers..." and the 19xx-2003.

They're only like 10-second spots, but some of those alone are pretty heartwrenching, and they always pick a fabulous photo from the star's prime.

I think an all-day tribute is a little much. (Except for maybe Katharine Hepburn or someone of equal calibre.)

I don't like the idea of ranking these deceased by saying some deserve tributes and others aren't worth it.

And I don't like the death tributes at all. The honor seems more meaningful if they're done while the person is still alive, or spontaneously.

As it is, it feels like it's just a thoughtless duty to be done. "This person died. We have to program some of their movies now."

Venerados, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. First of all, the movies of people who have just passed away are scheduled by TCM frequently all through the year and not only just after someone has died. Therefore, I can't subscribe to your notion that it's out of "duty" that TCM does the Tributes after these actors are gone.

And secondly, I believe that the Tributes are TCM's way of saying that this person's passing is more important than anything else they had scheduled that day, which is truly the best and only Tribute possible. Can you suggest something better?

Exactly Nick - TCM does pick and choose whom they wish to honor. Either do tributes for the "legends" like Hepburn and Hope only, or do them for everyone, because it's going to create controversy. Personally I think that Hume Cronyn and Donald O'Connor deserve tributes just as much as Charles Bronson did. And when Kim Hunter died about a year ago, they didn't even do a "In Memoriam" little 10 second segment for her, and she was an Academy Award winning actress from Hollywood's golden era.

As much as it saddens me to see the stars and directors from the movies that I love pass on, I don't feel that it is necessary to give a "tribute" by showing their films. TCM is always showcasing stars for their birthdays, or star of the month etc., and as someone else previously mentioned, I find those tributes to be more enjoyable. A simple "In Memoriam" segment is sufficiently respectful. Only when someone truly legendary dies do I think there should be a block of films. For example, if Brando or Liz Taylor should God forbid pass, then I can see a day of films being set aside for them. Because think about it, at least once a month someone from the industry dies, and if TCM keeps doing a day of films, it is seriously going to cut into their schedule.

I just realized that I, too, was affected by this Elia Kazan tribute. I was trying to tape Mr. and Mrs. Smith, perhaps Hitchcock's only outright comedy, starring Carole Lombard and see that I am now the "proud owner" of a tape with an Elia Kazan biography-type segment instead:-(

Hopefully, TCM will reschedule Mr. and Mrs. Smith for sometime in the near future (January?). Thanks!

I personally think this Saturday would have been a better night for a prime time tribute to Kazan, after all, On the Waterfront is already scheduled twice.

People who have passed away, no tribute shown, this year. (Off the top of my head.)

Robert Stack

Buddy Ebsen

Hume Cronyn

Donald O'Connor

Rand Brooks

On top of that, I would have thought Bob Hope would have gotten a full day, or at least prime time, but he was given late morning-early afternoon.