Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Frankenstein 1970

Hi everyone. When I was young, I saw a movie called Frankenstein 1970. I can't recall much from this movie, but I am curious, and would love to see it again. I wonder if anyone out there, can remember seeing the movie, and can provide details. If this movie is found, I am sure it would be a cult B horror classic. I think the movie Frankenstein 1970, was made in the 50's, and they called it Frankenstein 1970, to suggest it takes place in the future, but I could be wrong. In any event, I know I saw this movie, and more than once.

Thanks,

andyboy

Yes, I remember it. It was released in 1958. At the time I saw it, I was pretty scared ... years later I saw it and thought it was pretty laughable. It stars Boris Karloff as Baron Frankenstein, and also stars Donald Barry, more famous for being in westerns. A crew is making a film at the Baron's castle, while the Baron is trying to revive his creation with atomic energy ... maybe that explains the title. I seem to remember the monster being covered with bandages, so we never see its face. I would love to see this clunker again!

Hi scsu 1975, thank you for you help, and recognition of Frankenstein 1970. The only thing I remembered about this film was the organ music, and the monster covered with bandages.

Isn't it funny, that when we are young the movies seem frightening, and as adults, we see it as a clunker. I still want to see it, maybe T.C.M. can show it as a cult feature.

Thanks again,

andyboy

Well, I don't know that I'd call it pretty bad. I will concede that it's no classic (as Karloff's earlier Frankenstein films for Universal are).

On its own terms, I thought it was "okay."

The scariest scene in the whole movie, I thought, was the opening sequence, which then turned out to be a scene from the movie the filmmakers were shooting at Karloff's castle!

I thought the idea of having Karloff's character being a survivor of a concentration camp was interesting & offbeat: having the doctor also, in his own way, be a victim as well.

Neat "twist" ending regarding the face of the monster under the bandages, too!

That was it. You didn't really get a good look at the monster, but it seemed to be animal-like, possibly a werewolf, and it had claws. It chased the girl into the water and held her under.

Then when the director yelled "Cut!" she popped up and gave the actor some grief for holding her under too long!