Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kyle In Hollywood's CENSORED Poster Gallery

Holly:

Yes "Hallelujah I'm a Bum" was reissued in about 1941 as "The Heart of New York" (note the Atlantic Pictures credit on the poster). That reissue was also edited to about 68 minutes. Thankfully the complete version still survives, and looks great.

There was another alternate title. For the British release it was changed to "Hallelujah I'm a Tramp" because over there the word "bum" was evidently too well-known as a slang term for a certain body part. They even had to go to the effort to have Al Jolson record an alternate version of the title song in which the word "tramp" was sung instead of "bum". All that effort! How silly it seems to us now! But it did give Jolson collectors a Jolson rarity: his recording of the title song with the alternate lyrics.

And thanks Kyle for the great poster!

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> Holly:

> Yes "Hallelujah I'm a Bum" was reissued in about 1941 as "The Heart of New York" (note the Atlantic Pictures credit on the poster). That reissue was also edited to about 68 minutes. Thankfully the complete version still survives, and looks great.

I noticed the Atlantic credit when I first saw the poster. Wonder why UA didn't hold on to the rights?

> There was another alternate title. For the British release it was changed to "Hallelujah I'm a Tramp" because over there the word "bum" was evidently too well-known as a slang term for a certain body part. They even had to go to the effort to have Al Jolson record an alternate version of the title song in which the word "tramp" was sung instead of "bum". All that effort! How silly it seems to us now! But it did give Jolson collectors a Jolson rarity: his recording of the title song with the alternate lyrics.

>

Ironically enough, the only video version available to UK collectors today, apparently, is the imported DVD from the U.S., with the original title. Wonder if that makes them want to kick themselves in the bum? ;)

Also, nice poster today of the original Last of the Mohicans - love those old-fashioned colors. :x

Chief,

You know how much I love Randolph (cue chorus) Scott but I've seen that version of *Mohicans* and while I enjoy it, I much prefer the Daniel Day Lewis version.

Beautiful poster, nonetheless!