Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kyle In Hollywood's CENSORED Poster Gallery

I love these posters. Some of them are absolutely beautiful. I'm a big fan of posters. I printed several old [Works Progress Administration posters|http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/wpaposters/wpahome.html] on 8"x10" photo paper, framed them, and put them up in the bathroom for decoration. They look beautiful.

My wife (mostly my wife) just painted our living room in mustard yellow and dill green colors. I'd like to find one or two nice movie posters that might match those and that are suitable for printing. Does anybody have any suggestions?

We also painted the bathroom in a royal red color. Any suggestions for that?

mvblair -

I'd be happy to help you locate the perfect images for your walls.

Many of the images posted here can located online in larger formats - though registration and/or "subscriptions" may be required to have access to the large formats. But I'd be happy to work as the middleman for you.

If there is a particular poster (or posters) posted in this Gallery in the past that you would like to try to print out in a larger size, let me know which ones and I will see about finding a larger image for you.

In the meantime, here's the one image I've always thought would look good on someone's walls -

mvblair001

(Click through to access a larger image)

Kyle (Off to Work) In Hollywood

That is a good point about Wyler maybe not being so well known in the 1930s, but directors names were featured somewhat. Not as big as the stars, but certainly not hidden. I don:t even know how we can be talking about this, I never would have been able to read his name if I did not know it was there, what it was and did not work very hard to see it. lol

Maybe only very big directors were clear on posters. Hm.

addie

I also found it odd that Wyler's name was so "diminished" - especially in relation to the name of the screenwriter who adapted the book for the screen. And while it was true that Wyler had yet to make a name for himself, he had already made one very note-worthy film for Samuel Goldwyn - *These Three*. You'd think that would have counted for something.

After *Dodsworth*, Goldwyn wasn't going to relegate William Wyler to the fine-print much longer. He hired Wyler to make *Dead End*, *Wuthering Heights* and *The Westerner* over the next few years - and *The Little Foxes* and *The Best Years Of Our Lives* later on. For "Samuel Goldwyn Productions", Wyler was the closest to having the title of "House Director" of any director in Hollywood.

Kyle In Hollywood

The below is from an article about DODSWORTH from this site. Maybe Goldwyn was being a little petty due to friction starting over the COME AND GET IT assignment?? Production must have started for DODSWORTH, not all that long after production for COME AND GET IT ended since originally having different directors their schedules were at the same time. Anyhoo...

*Trivia & Fun Facts About DODSWORTH*

Director William Wyler and producer Samuel Goldwyn had a long and fruitful association?nine movies between their first, Barbary Coast (1935), and their last, the Oscar?-winning The Best Years of Our Lives (1946). The relationship wasn't always a smooth one. Unhappy with the work Howard Hawks had done on Come and Get It (1936), Goldwyn fired him from the picture and assigned his contractee Wyler to take it over. Wyler and Hawks were friends, and taking a job from another director, particularly one as highly respected as Hawks, was not the best form. Wyler repeatedly refused, sending the bedridden Goldwyn into such a rage that his wife Frances began beating him across the legs with a flyswatter while he screamed at Wyler. Informed by his lawyer that he had no choice, Wyler reluctantly took the assignment.

Scheduled Production Date: early May--12 Aug 1936 COME AND GET IT

Scheduled Poduction Date: 21 Jun--late Sep 1936 DODSWORTH

Was Goldwyn so petty? I love his wife for hitting him with a flyswatter when he was being mean to Wyler. And how about Wyler:s sense of Honour, not bad.

adds

Kyle,

That "Angel" poster is beautiful! The little splash of color looks great and might transfer fine to our wall. The face is just wonderful (how can you go wrong with Marlene?). I really like it. I'm going to register for Flickr and see if I can't get the larger format.

Any other suggestions for yellow/gold, or green?

--Matt

*"I really like it. I'm going to register for Flickr and see if I can't get the larger format. Any other suggestions for yellow/gold, or green?*" - Matt

'mvblair'/Matt -

You should be able to access the larger image without registration. "Flickr" isn't a site devoted to film posters, it is just where I store the images I've collected online for display in this thread. I've acquired the images from many other sources online.

My settings for the *Angel* poster page is "public" so you and everyone else should be able to access the largest size of the image - 1149 pixels by 1500 pixels - without registering for "Flickr". At least I thought so. If you have trouble downloading/seeing it, let me know. I never know for certain what others "see" when going to my "Flickr" account from here.

I'm glad you like the *Angel* poster. And I have lots of "suggestions" I could make - but some "guidance" beyond color would be helpful. Particularly, is the "art" more important than the "subject" and is any era up for consideration? The silent era has some of the most beautiful artwork I've ever seen. The same goes for early Westerns.

Let me know.

Kyle In Hollywood

'mvblair'/Matt -

For your consideration -

(Click through on Images to Access Larger Sizes)

Another simple image with a white background to accompany *Angel*

mvblair002

*The Model From Montmartre* (1926)

A charming "yellow/gold" image with an "impressionist" background

mvblair004

*Huck And Tom* (1918)

Another "art" image with a complementary color scheme

mvblair003

*One Arabian Night* (1921)

Are any of these to your liking or do you want to go in a different direction?

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle,

I figured out how to download in the large format. Thanks, man! :)

I think "Angel" and "The Model From Montmartre" might look good together. They're both "splashy." I'm not crazy about the last two posters, though. I'm not sure why. I guess the artwork is a little too overdrawn for me.

I really love the more simplistic 1930s-type art deco pieces. I also love simple stuff, like your [West Side Story|http://www.flickr.com/photos/7615434@N06/2847820855/], [scarlett Street|http://www.flickr.com/photos/7615434@N06/2801053931/] and [High Sierra|http://www.flickr.com/photos/7615434@N06/2622460829/] posters. Those look clean and simple.

I hate exploitation posters. Gosh, I wish I knew something about art and then I could tell you more what I like. Did you see those WPA posters I linked above? I really enjoy that style...

Thanks so much for your help! You don't know how much fun this is for me.

--Matt

'mvblair' -

*"I figured out how to download in the large format. Thanks, man!"*

You're most welcome. I'm glad we've got that kink straightened out. I hope you didn't have to open a 'flickr' account to do so.

*"I'm not crazy about the last two posters, though. I'm not sure why. I guess the artwork is a little too overdrawn for me."*

Well, I hope you at least gave them a look in the large format. I think they are two of the most interesting pieces of poster "art" I've ever seen. The palatte of colors in both and the details in the "Pola Negri" (blouse & hair) really impressed me. But no matter. I think I have a better idea where you would like to go with your selections - Deco Silkscreened images.

I think some Scandanavian images I have might be to your liking. Silkscreening is common for the posters of the thirties from Sweden and Denmark. I will look through my collection and see if I can find something that might excite you.

The *Scarlet Street* you saw is available in an image only slightly larger than what is already posted. I don't know how well it would enlarge to 8x10. The Spanish *High Sierra* image, on the other hand can be had in a much larger size if you are interested.

The recently posted *The Walking Dead* poster is a silkscreen poster. Now, I don't think you want Karloff on your living room walls (but 'Mlle. Minya' might) but I also have other silkscreened images (all done at 20th Century Fox in the mid to late Thirties) that are amazing. But I am saving those for a separate presentation one of these days. You'll just have to wait for those.

In the mean time, any interest in Astaire & Rogers from the Thirties?

Kyle In Hollywood

ps - Here's another *Model From Monmartre* to consider - though it is a 3-Sheet poster that won't conform to an 8x10 format. It would be more like 5 x 10. But I think it is a stunner.

mvblair005

kjk

*"I'd have to put the kibosh on Karloff on my living room walls. I still have issues from seeing Frankenstein as a kid."* - Mlle. Minya

What????? I'm confused. No Karloff? Now I think you're gonna hate me next week. (I ain't changing it now.)

*"Love the "Model fron Montmartre" poster!"*

That's my girl. And there's nothing confusing about that reaction. (I hope you "clicked through" and looked at the large image.)

Kyle In Hollywood

*What????? I'm confused. No Karloff? Now I think you're gonna hate me next week. (I ain't changing it now.)*

I loved the images, I just can't look at them all the time. I had a similar reaction the the Phantom of the Opera-loved the poster, but I couldn't keep it. I tried to watch the movie too, but I had to turn it off. When I was a kid, there was a restaurant around here called Pizza and Pipes and they would show that movie and then a guy dressed as the Phantom would come out and play the pipe organ. Scared the living daylights out of me. We only went there once. :)

*That's my girl. And there's nothing confusing about that reaction. (I hope you "clicked through" and looked at the large image.)*

I did! I can't decide which one I liked better. I think the one you posted here has the edge, though. :)

'mvblair'/Matt -

Using the WPA posters for guidance, I've selected some images for your consideration. All are from Sweden in the 20s or 30s. The first are below.

While none are for "popular" films, I thought these images would fit the room colors you've mentioned.

And, as usual, cick through on the image to access.

mvblair008

*The Silver Slave* (1927) Sweden

mvblair006

*Whirlpool Of Desire* (1939) Sweden

mvblair007

*Tarnished Lady* (1921) Sweden

I have some others for you to browse that I hope to get posted this evening.

Kyle In Hollywood