Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kyle In Hollywood's CENSORED Poster Gallery

Nice *Vikings* poster, Kyle, though Miss Leigh's normally soft facial features seem to be a little ... Germanic. :-) Thanks.

Pat, not worried to the point of death, despite the image they've just put up here:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=68641&category=overview

Preston and O'Brien look a little odd, maybe they're doing a Tracy/Rainer routine?

*"Nice Vikings poster, Kyle, though Miss Leigh's normally soft facial features seem to be a little ... Germanic."* - patful

You're right. Maybe the artist got it confused with "Die Walk?re."

*"Pat, not worried to the point of death, despite the image they've just put up here..."*

Yikes. More confusion.

But take a deep breath. That "other" *Big City* is on the schedule that month too. I doubt your goal will be snatched from the jaws of "victory" this time.

Kyle (Do I hear John Williams music?) In Hollywood

It could have been a member who posted that pic, patful, rather than someone at TCM, If you are worried that they are going to show the wrong film.

I have posted photos on the database before, but hopefully, not the wrong ones. Of course, someone at TCM had to OK that photo before it was placed there.

*Do I hear John Williams music?* - Kyle

I don't hear anything yet, but more likely it will be the "1812 Overture" or "In the Hall of the Mountain King" when the time comes. This one *really* makes me hate knowing the schedule three months in advance.

*It could have been a member who posted that pic...* - JackFavell

Thanks, I didn't know that. I figured it was done by whoever loads the videos, trailers, and such. So O'Brien's bio was done by a member? I've always been irked by the errors.

I know that when there isn't a photo, I have added them. It takes them awhile to load, because TCM says that they have to check them first - but I am assuming they only check to make sure that they are appropriate, NOT whether they are correct.

I think you can add bios too, but I have never done it.

Chief,

Who drew the body for that poster? The angles for Pat O'Brien's head are all wrong for the way the body is drawn.

And only wearing one glove. Inspiration for Michael J?

Sybil Jason fares much better in this poster than poor Pat.

*"Who drew the body for that poster? The angles for Pat O'Brien's head are all wrong for the way the body is drawn."* - lzcutter

I believe the poster is an early attempt at "photoshopping" - long before there was a Photoshop. It looks to me as if the poster is an odd hybrid of photographic faces/heads pasted onto drawn torsos. I guess the better WB artists weren't available to do a really good job on the likenesses of of O'Brien and Jason.

Unlike MGM or Fox at that time, WB didn't seem to have a deep bench of talented artists that were good at portraits. WB seemed to be happy to incorporate photographic "headshots" in their poster artwork - though pasting them on drawn artwork is pretty uncommon.

Kyle In Hollywood

*I believe the poster is an early attempt at "photoshopping" - long before there was a Photoshop. It looks to me as if the poster is an odd hybrid of photographic faces/heads pasted onto drawn torsos. I guess the better WB artists weren't available to do a really good job on the likenesses of of O'Brien and Jason.*

I'm glad you mentioned that, because that's what I was thinking when I looked at it too, like maybe someone else was going to be in the picture and they already had it drawn and then it was recast or something.

Well, well, well. Take a look at this photographic insert poster.

GreatOMalleyThe1937_insert

Now, visualize just O'Brien's head and give it a "flip" (mirror-like) and I think we can see why Pat looks so weird in the original poster.

Here's another "hybrid" poster (halfsheet) for the film with what looks like photographic heads.

GreatOMalleyThe1937_hlfsht

And if the below is the best their artists could do with portraits in 1936/1937, perhaps that is why WB went the "photoshop" route.

GreatGuyA1936

(Not a "bad" likeness but not exactly realistic either.)

Kyle In Hollywood