Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kyle In Hollywood's CENSORED Poster Gallery

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> You're very welcome! Thanks for letting me know.

>

> So, did you ever get through all 300+ pages of this thread? And did you find some "favorites" in the group?

>

> Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle,

Yes, I did make it through all 300+ pages. It was so fun I never wanted it to end! My favorites are too numerous to mention but a few that stand out are the Birth of a Nation posters and the White House invitation - amazing. The 39 Steps, Belle & Bete, The Big Trail, Dial M for Murder (Better Let it Ring version), Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Autant en Emporte le Vent, the gorgeous RKO Pressbook, Quo Vadis (!!), and on and on.

Thanks again Kyle for this wonderful thread. Can't wait to see what you post tomorrow.

OK, so I'm overthinking this, but do you suppose it was in these people's contracts that Dana Andrews would get second billing but his face would be mostly obscured and that Henry Fonda would get third billing but we'd get to see his face? It's fun seeing how things like billing play out on these posters.

P.S. I'm old enough not to have had a color TV until I was in my 30's, so red hair always surprises me when I see it on a poster. Katharine Hepburn too. Always surprised.

Edited by: DougieB on Mar 26, 2011 10:25 AM

Monday. March 28th

film_posterMar28

Australia

Pick of TCM Staffer Genevieve McGillicuddy, original podcaster and the Force of the TCM Classic Film Festival.

(Click Through On Image to Access Larger Versions. Choose "Actions" and then Select "View All Sizes".)

*"Mixed messages for sure, but it definitely makes me want to see it."* - DougieB

You need to know that the "Not Suitable..." notice was a required addition to posters in Australia for all films that were not considered "child-friendly". In the Thirties, Forties and Fifties, that covered a lot of motion pictures.

The use of that notice is one way I can tell country of origin (Australia) for many English-language posters. If it wasn't on the poster for *In Which We Serve*, I might think the poster was for a UK release of the film.

Kyle In Hollywood

A few interesting facts about Wallace Ford. Born in England, his real name was Samuel Jones Grundy and sent to an orphanage in Canada, he ran away from his foster parents at age 11 and started to ride the rails across the U.S. with a new friend named Wallace Ford. When his friend was crushed by some box cars as a tribute to him, Samuel Grady became Wallace Ford. In 1937 he appeared on Broadway in the original role of "George" to Broderick Crawford's "Lennie" in "Of Mice and Men". He also appeared in a number of John Ford films. While acting in Ford's "The Lost Patrol" shooting in AZ., he knocked out a cook on the set for refusing to serve a African-American laborer.